• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2824 into 2836 case

Bettyswolloks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/19
You see cases advertised on eBay that say they are for both movements. But the stem heights are differant. Every time I message the sellers I just get the usual pidgin reply saying will fit is same, or will supply ring etc etc etc.

The 2824 is hailed as the workhorse, yet it's seemingly impossible to build a watch around the movement, what am I missing?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Both the 2824 and 2836 are good movements - there’s nothing wrong with building around a 2836 for reps. In fact it’s a preferred movement because it accepts a date wheel overlay without issue. To get a DWO onto a 2824 You need to install a taller date wheel (2834 or 2836). This in turn leads to taller cannons and wheels to compensate.
When I first got into this I thought it was important to be pure about the base movement. I thought since a 2836 was a day/date that I should really focus on a 2824. But the reality is removing the day disc and jumper is easy and it doesn’t adversely affect the movement.
However, if you’re building your own custom watch and don’t require a DWO, by all means use a 2824.

HootschiGootschi

„105 OR 1=1“
Patron
Certified
6/2/19
HG in da house
Hi

The 2836 is just a variation of the 2824 with an added day wheel, thus the small extra height.

- 2824-2 is 4.6mm height
- 2836-2 is 5.06mm height

Under normal circumstances it would be no big deal to replace one with the other.
It might be necessary to make use of a different Dial spacer to equal the different distance from dial to Stem.

But be aware that in cases when you swap a 2836 with a 2824 and need to use a higher dial spacer you could run into issues with a (then) to short hand stack.
(Therefore are higher hand stacks available, like H4)

The quality of the movements is equal if the variation is equal.

Bettyswolloks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/4/19
The reason I Want to use a 2824 is because I have one here, fully serviced and ready to be fitted. It will be used as a no date so date wheels and overlays are not important.
But stem height is, I don't want to get into changing pinions as in all honesty it's probably beyond my ability at this point.

I just want to fit this 2824 into a case and get some use out of it.
So that's why I'm more concerned with stem height than anything else.

Fitting a spacer between dial and movement to bring the stem height into line involves new pinions.

So is it possible to fit a spacer between the glass and the dial to get the stem height in line?

Or is there another option I've missed?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk