• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen or Rep ETA2824

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Hey eagle eye spotters I need some help determining if this movement is gen or rep.

To my eye the engravings look bad, the balance micro adjustment looks cast, but the rotor text looks good, the balance jewel looks correct, wheels look okay, and the action on winding/setting is nice.

VIp4Kq.jpg

VIpmh6.jpg

VIpAc0.jpg

VIzDaF.jpg

VIzuPr.jpg

VIzKWI.jpg

VIzpho.jpg

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
agree with you on all points, engravings look bad + and - really bad, rotor can be switched, finishing on the autobridge looks off...but the wheels look ok....

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
agree with you on all points, engravings look bad + and - really bad, rotor can be switched, finishing on the autobridge looks off...but the wheels look ok....

So where does this leave us? Higher quality rep? Franken Rep? Poorly made gen? I’m a bit at a loss because it’s not a culmination of red flags.

Oh, these are being sold consistently and en mass. This isn’t a one off.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The balance shock housing looks genuine, but the baseplate stamping look completely rep. the sellers location also makes me question even beyond the inconsistencies from what I expect to see on a genuine movement.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Looks like a mix, would't trust it's 100% gen, a no go for me

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Give me the Asian movement any day. Don't believe me? Here is a great youtube comparison https://youtu.be/SUlsay-yzm8

To each their own.

I started in that position too but have since moved on to an appreciation for gen movements. While the parts look identical, the movements function the same, and the clones time well they’re just not as nicely made. It’s only been on clones I’ve had plates break and screws shear. The components would not hold up to the rigor applied to gen movements. For example, working on a gen Breitling, the screws are TIGHT. It take precision and some strength to remove and retighten. That same force would snap the clone components.

lenart98

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/9/17
Well, in the end it's a crap shoot. Both the a2824 and the ETA are made in China and not in Switzerland. And the Asian movements are made by different factories. Some do a great job and use quality materials and some not It all comes down to QC and what factory you get your movement from. Basically Luck. I must be lucky as I have many Asian movements, never had a problem and they all keep excellent time.