• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question about changing H2 pinion to H4 pinion

mflo

Known Member
4/12/18
Greetings helpful forum folks.

I’m interested in trying to tackle the H2 to H4 wheels / cannon pinion swap on a gen Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement. I plan to use this thread as my reference;

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/the-2824-2836/207022-dismantle-2824-2-movement-step-by-step

Everything on the dial side of the movement appears to be straightforward. What I’m not sure of, is how far down I need to disassemble the movement in order to properly replace the 4th wheel (aka Seconds wheel). My specific question is this:

After removing the autowind bridge, can I proceed directly to removing the train wheel bridge and then the second wheel? Or do I need to follow the disassembly instructions in the thread to the ’T’?

I’m concerned that not following the steps to the ’T’ might result in some sort of damage to the movement (i.e. not releasing the energy stored in the mainspring leading to some sort of shockloading on the gear system upon removal of one component gear), but I’d also like to avoid unnecessary steps if possible because honestly, it’s fewer things for me to potentially foul up.

All advice welcome.

unreformed66

Known Member
Supporter
7/11/15
United States, Ohio
The FIRST thing you do before removing parts from a movement is to let down the mainspring. If you try to take the train bridge off without letting down the mainspring it releases all of the tension at once which is a bad thing. It would be a miracle if you didn't break something doing that.

Reactions: Raddave