• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How far can you turn the eccentric screw?

john45

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/4/18
Sonoma
My new ZF Tudor Black Bay GMT with the A2836 movement is running slow. I've got a time grapher and have successfully regulated some of my other movements but this one seems a bit more stubborn.

My question is how far can you turn the eccentric regulator screw? I've gone to a point where the screw slot is perpendicular to a line between the screw and the spring pivot and I'm still about -15 sec/day. Can I effectively turn the screw further or am I on the wrong track here? Everything I've read regarding spring problems with too much oil causing sticking, etc result in a fast movement, not a slow one.

Thanks.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
You may need to move the adjustable lever a little bit towards the center of the movement, it's the one on the collar of the jewel. It's the coarse timing regulator, the screw is the fine.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
To access the coarse adjustment lever the auto winding module must me removed. It is held in place by two black screws.
4081eb0e6b0c6603891ade31c29fc2cf.jpg

Once it’s removed you can start adjusting the timing. Don’t forget to center the fine adjustment screw before you start messing with the coarse adjustment. The lever does not need to be moved much, so take it slow and be careful.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Reactions: john45

john45

29/4/18
Sonoma
Just a couple of more questions. Turn the lever which way to slow the movement and is this the top or bottom lever? I understand moving the wrong one will affect the beat error which I want to avoid.

Thanks

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
It's the top, inside one with the brass insert, move it towards the center to speed up, towards the outside to slow. As kryckan13 said, it doesn't need to move much.

john45

29/4/18
Sonoma
I guess I'm going to have to put Katt on a retainer....

I pushed (gently) on the brass insert and it didn't move, so I pushed a little harder and broke one of the arms holding the brass insert off. The good news is that the broken arm came down outside the movement and I assume that the brass insert is still attached to the hairspring. Lesson learned, I guess.

How is one supposed to move the brass insert if a gentle push won't move it???

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I guess I'm going to have to put Katt on a retainer....

I pushed (gently) on the brass insert and it didn't move, so I pushed a little harder and broke one of the arms holding the brass insert off. The good news is that the broken arm came down outside the movement and I assume that the brass insert is still attached to the hairspring. Lesson learned, I guess.

How is one supposed to move the brass insert if a gentle push won't move it???

you tried to move the brass insert ?
or the arm holding the insert ?

john45

29/4/18
Sonoma
I tried moving the brass insert inward along the slot in the arm. Perhaps I misunderstood the instructions. In my mind, the arm might turn, but not move in toward the center. I just assumed the arm pivoted around its center and would not move in or out by turning it.

The question now is, can the part be replaced with a gen 2836 part or where can I source an A2836 part?

Thanks.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Yeah thats where you went wrong , the arm holding the insert was supposed to be rotated the stud should not have been moved .

zQYhBxs.jpg

and yes , that part can be replaced with a gen ETA part

Reactions: daytona4me

john45

29/4/18
Sonoma
It's the top, inside one with the brass insert, move it towards the center to speed up, towards the outside to slow. As kryckan13 said, it doesn't need to move much.

Aha! Moment of clarity! Move "it" (meaning the arm, not the brass insert) towards the center of the movement, not the center of the hairspring assembly.

I found a replacement part on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Watch-M...var=423747563033&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

As lessons go, I've had more expensive ones....

Thanks to all!

Reactions: daytona4me

lrnz

27/1/17
EU
If I can advise you, do not attempt a balance wheel swap if you don't already have some substantial experience and confidence in watch repairs.
It's extremely easy to cause damage to the hairspring, break the balance pivots, etc.
Best to have it installed by someone else as if you do have the repair it's just a matter of a few seconds to remove the old one and insert the new one.
Don't forget to have them clean and oil the top jewel on the new replacement as it could be dry or dirty