• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2824-2 Stem Won't Lock In / Falls out

Hawthorne33

Horology Curious
12/11/18
Hi Fellas, first post, but not really. Lost my username several years ago...

Anyway I have a nice gen Tag and after a flight, I needed to change time zones. The stem *slid* (not forced) right out when I unscrewed the crown.

I have tried to tap the push-lock button to try to get engagement, but no go. I took it to my local guy and he quoted me $485 buckaroos. ummmm nfw. I went to the gen forum and they told me, "you don't understand these are luxury items, you need to spend a lot of money." Ummm it's a $200 movement, thanks very little.

Guessing the keyless works is not working. I am handy, but I have no experience with taking the movement apart this much. Is there a good tutorial out there? Or a better diagnosis?

(PS: I looked at the sticky, but the images seem to be broken).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Just lightly Jiggle the push lock slot. It works for me when a steam wont engage and doesn't locked in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kryckan13

Renowned Member
25/6/17
Sweden
If you can’t fix it yourself, send it to a forum watchsmith. None of them will charge $500 for something like that.

Good luck!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hawthorne33

Horology Curious
12/11/18
Well, I managed to fix the keyless on my first attempt.
However I broke my second hand. Anyone know of a source for a late model aquaracer second hand?

Hawthorne33

Horology Curious
12/11/18
Oh, sorry for the double post. I'm having some trouble getting the date wheel back on. I look all over the internet for a good video and couldn't find a live link that helped. Is there a resource you might suggest?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You need to engage it from the left side first, pushing it up gently against the spring, then hold it in place while you replace the plate that goes over the keyless works.

Hawthorne33

Horology Curious
12/11/18
You need to engage it from the left side first, pushing it up gently against the spring, then hold it in place while you replace the plate that goes over the keyless works.

Thanks so much. I seem to be getting some contact between the setting wheel and the teeth of the date wheel. Should that be happening?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks so much. I seem to be getting some contact between the setting wheel and the teeth of the date wheel. Should that be happening?

No - put the crown in 3rd position - time set. Nudge the setting wheel in to the centre of the movement if necessary.