• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing noob v8 a2836 with ETA2836

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
Rolex has its own movement line.
ETA movement is used by The Swatch Group which owns Omega, Blancpain, Breguet, Longines, Swatch, Hamilton, Tissot and other Swiss brands that you've probably heard of.
So taking a fugazi Rolex with a gen ETA to an AD will not fool an expert.

So what stops someone from putting a gen Rolex movement into a rep? And why would anyone do that unless they're trying to fool someone, like a dealer?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
So what stops someone from putting a gen Rolex movement into a rep? And why would anyone do that unless they're trying to fool someone, like a dealer?

Reliability. The reason to swap in a Swiss made movement is there much better built in much more reliable. The A28xx and A7750 are pretty solid and usually reliable and long-lasting, but a new ETA 2824 can be bought for roughly the same price as a movement service of the Asian clone. If something should fail in the movement and it's a piece that you like, it's probably worth while to just swap in the Genuine Swiss Movement versus have the Clone movement repaired or serviced . I've done a couple of these swaps in my pieces and I've also had a few serviced. It depends on the watch and the movement.

If you have the SA/SH 3135, then the only options to improve reliability is swap in a handful of genuine components along with a service or install a genuine movement. The SA/SH3135 is not as reliable as it's ETA clone brothers. When you move beyond the Submariner to other models like the GMT, there's currently only two ways to get a reliable movement with the correct hand stack. Have a SH3135 converted to a 3186 or install a genuine 3186. Neither is a cheap option but at least they're reliable. Below is my build, where everything except for the mid case is genuine. I did this in part because I wanted the reliability of the Rolex movement. I have no nefarious purpose and I don't ever plan to sell it. It was for me and me alone. It's just one of a handful of builds I've done as it's something I enjoy. For comparison I also included a lume shot of my Franken GMT with a noob Submariner i used have so you could see the difference again in another model.

IMG_20180616_1806173080d167ca69cfdf.jpg

IMG_20180616_18074218861eb84fcc5dca.jpg

IMG_20180408_1003366e613c066f387d42.jpg

IMG_20180220_1303156ed6ac6dd854621d.jpg

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
It was more of an experiment to see if these watches can fool experts.

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny. I still don’t get this. In any event, go to an AD (without your rep) and try on some genuine watches. Handle them and look at them closely. Go home and handle your rep. You will see and feel the difference. This is a hobby. Some members really enjoy building a watch that they consider a perfect rep. They have fun doing it but it is for their on edification. Personally, I don’t give a shit if my movement is correct. Especially with a closed case back. I just want reliability. If you want to see what’s truly available stick to the TDs. The link you posted is for one of the biggest (maybe the biggest) rep scam sites on the internet

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I want to do a test and see if a local jeweler can identify my watch as a rep. To run this test, I'd need to put an eta 2836 into my Noob v8 sub Hulk. Otherwise, they'll know as soon as they open the case. How hard is this to do, and what kind of cost am I looking at?
Eh ??? :D Another rocket scientist appears .

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
I got the idea from this site, which shows a photo of the eta vs the gen. And they supposedly took it to 8 jewelers, none who identified the watches as reps. Are you saying that 2836 movements have never been in a sub? If so, I guess that would be a dead giveaway. But if they have that Swiss clone could fool a lot of people. It's my understanding you can't replace a 2836 with any type of 3135, as the cases are different.
​​​​

https://www.solidswiss.cd/movements/

Johnny you really are clueless :D More reading needed dear boy.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Wow. Thank you for the detailed response. The funny thing is, the only difference I see between the watches you posted is one has a hash mark at 3p and the other does not. All the other stuff you mention, like bezel painting and such, it's so microscopic that I'm surprised you're able to tell via a photo. The crown giveaway makes the most sense, but I'm guessing they tell doesn't exist if I had a 3135.

One of the responders on here asked why I'd change the movement on a closed case unless I was trying to do something sinister. But I see people all over this forum doing that for no reason. Honestly, you could probably fool 99% of people with a $15 knockoff. Most people aren't inspecting your watch for crown height, lume, etc. Basically, anyone spending more than $15 is not doing it for any other reason than a hobby.

Why are arguing the point Johnny ? Your opening post was imbecilic ? YOU obviously thought if you put a genuine Swiss ETA into a V8 Hulk it was the right movement for the watch and would fool AD's . Thinking this should see you skulk away from the forum with your tail between your legs . Then you make it obvious you have never heard of the Rolex Cal 3135 movement . You made it clear you had no idea the 3135 used in rep watches was an attempt to clone the real Rolex movement . Finally you asked ' has the 2836 ever been used in the Hulk ?' Seemingly in astonishment that the answer could be no .Before you set out on such a nefarious plan of deception I should do some more research on the genuine watch , and the reps you are buying .

I am suprised forum members have been so nice to you ( they can be horrible ) , even discussing movements etc . As your post singularly the most IDIOTIC post I have ever read on this forum , and there has been some competition for that prize.

Last edited:

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
chocolito , you are clearly hurting inside. I'm sorry that you have such low self esteem that you need to bully people on the board by calling them names. So what if I want to see if an AD can tell the difference between a real and a gen? Guess we all have our hobbies. May I remind you that YOU like just about everyone else on this board is doing something totally illegal by buying reps in the first place. So get off your high horse

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Buying and owning reps isnt illegal. Only selling them is

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nope, it depends on which country you're in - in some places it's illegal to be in possession of any counterfeit item, be it hand bags, watches, sneakers or anything else.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
chocolito , you are clearly hurting inside. I'm sorry that you have such low self esteem that you need to bully people on the board by calling them names. So what if I want to see if an AD can tell the difference between a real and a gen? Guess we all have our hobbies. May I remind you that YOU like just about everyone else on this board is doing something totally illegal by buying reps in the first place. So get off your high horse

Chap I'm not a bully or part of the know it all high horse know it all gang on here . I apologise for calling you and imbecile, however take a breath put down your ego and you will realise how silly your OP is chap . Yet you continued arguing the toss with people . Firstly it was obvious you thought that the ETA 2836 movement was the correct movement for the Rolex 116610 LV ( Hulk) so if you replaced the Asian 2836 with a genuine Swiss movement it would be the correct movement for the watch . When somebody pointed out this mistake , your heckles got raised and you became Mr Shouty . Most people would have realised their mistake , realised their lack of knowledge had a laugh to themselves and put it down to experience. I won't go into the other incorrect and strange things you said in this thread .

However I will say your new hobby of taking replica watches into watch smiths and AD's is going to be a disaster chap . Any AD employee or watchsmith worth their salt wouldn't need to take the case back off your V8 to identify it as a fake watch . If somehow they were unsure ( perhaps it's bring your kid to work day , and they give the kid a go ) , taking off the case back and seeing a 2836 movement ( or a clone 3135) would be an instantly tell them they were dealing with a fake watch . Chap your V8 wouldn't visually fool me and i'm a rank amateur . If you are going to try visually fool an expert with a replica watch , don't use a Submariner ( there are quite a few easy visual tells ) there are better fake watch options to do it with .

As you point out this is a site for people talking , buying and selling fake watches . In some countries the possession of counterfeit goods is a crime . So best check the law where you are chap . You don't want to start this new ' fool an expert ' hobby and find the AD recognising your fake watch , closing the doors and calling the police . Getting your watch confiscated and arrested on such a fools errand seems a bit silly Billy to me .

Last edited:

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS

:picard2: I don't recommend you go to an AD and challenge them to tell the difference. They'll know.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
:picard2: I don't recommend you go to an AD and challenge them to tell the difference. They'll know.

I know i'm a bully for pointing out how stupid the above would be , but he is determined in his task apparently it is going to be his new hobby . I think he should change his user name , i'm thinking ' Silly Billy ' would be apt . There really is some strange fruit on internet forums .

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I know i'm a bully for pointing out how stupid the above would be , but he is determined in his task apparently it is going to be his new hobby . I think he should change his user name , i'm thinking ' Silly Billy ' would be apt . There really is some strange fruit on internet forums .

Yeah, I don't understand his real motive. What would he get from "fooling" an AD? Multiple orgasms?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Maybe I was too nice and informative? Granted, it would be hilarious to listen to him whine that the AD caught it as a fake right off the bat as he smugly stood there thinking HAHA! I've got a GENUINE ETA in there, it can't be detected as a fake!
tenor196e66814e33acec.gif

Reactions: efajri

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Yeah, I don't understand his real motive. What would he get from "fooling" an AD? Multiple orgasms?

Yep i have made the decision to go ' read only ' on this site so i don't have to converse with the lunatics anymore:D .

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
efajri , and your motive of passing off a fake watch as real and committing a crime by owning one is a better cause? Sorry, but it's the same exact thing you're doing. I want to see how easy it is for a pro to spot a fake. And you want to see if you can take an illegal fake watch and make people believe that you are wearing an expensive timepiece. Kind of pot calling the kettle black.

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
efajri , and your motive of passing off a fake watch as real and committing a crime by owning one is a better cause? Sorry, but it's the same exact thing you're doing. I want to see how easy it is for a pro to spot a fake. And you want to see if you can take an illegal fake watch and make people believe that you are wearing an expensive timepiece. Kind of pot calling the kettle black.

Sorry, I am not that guy...I own over 40 watches and I don't really wear them. See the pic below; a glimpse of 3 of my watch boxes. I have 5 10 slot watch boxes.

I buy fake watches like I buy trading cards; pokemon cards, and I tell people that my watches are replicas. BTW, I don't need to pretend or trying to fool people that my fakes are genuine as they know I can definitely afford genuine watches easily like I can afford buying my 3200 SF house in a highly taxed US State and beautiful cars.

6mcPZ.jpg

Reactions: lukedh45622