• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing noob v8 a2836 with ETA2836

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
I want to do a test and see if a local jeweler can identify my watch as a rep. To run this test, I'd need to put an eta 2836 into my Noob v8 sub Hulk. Otherwise, they'll know as soon as they open the case. How hard is this to do, and what kind of cost am I looking at?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You do realize that even an ETA 2836 is not the correct movement for that watch? Any half competent watchsmith would open it and immediately know. The correct movement is a Rolex caliber 3135 which looks nothing like those other movements. The only one that's passable would be the Super Asian 3135. Even that any decent watchsmith would be able to tell fairly quickly.

Reactions: BruceLee55

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
I got the idea from this site, which shows a photo of the eta vs the gen. And they supposedly took it to 8 jewelers, none who identified the watches as reps. Are you saying that 2836 movements have never been in a sub? If so, I guess that would be a dead giveaway. But if they have that Swiss clone could fool a lot of people. It's my understanding you can't replace a 2836 with any type of 3135, as the cases are different.
​​​​

https://www.solidswiss.cd/movements/

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I got the idea from this site, which shows a photo of the eta vs the gen. And they supposedly took it to 8 jewelers, none who identified the watches as reps. Are you saying that 2836 movements have never been in a sub? If so, I guess that would be a dead giveaway. But if they have that Swiss clone could fool a lot of people. It's my understanding you can't replace a 2836 with any type of 3135, as the cases are different.
​​​​

https://www.solidswiss.cd/movements/

Ahh. Ok, well firstly, that is a scam site. I wouldn't bother believing anything there. The movements pictured are both 3135 movements, not a 2836 even though in their discussion the say it is. I've pasted pictures of both below as you can see the location of the gears the balance and the jewels is different. Even if you got a hold of a 2836 that's been decorated to look like a 3135 the location of the gears and the balance are all wrong. It's possible that a watch Smith may not realize an SA or SH 3135 is fake until they start to work on it or closely inspect it. Even these have differences, granted they minor and not as readily noticeable. it would not be an option for you to put one of these movements into that watch because the crown height is the wrong position. Truthfully wear the watch,and enjoy it for what it is and don't waste your time thinking that you can fool a watchsmith. Now if you start getting into Franken pieces, with genuine movements, dials, etc, those have the potential to get past a watch Smith, but this is a whole different situation than what you're proposing. The only Rolex watch that ever used the 28xx series movements were branded Tudor. Nothing with the Rolex brand ever used those movements.

rolex-3135-movement-1024x768e9ea8866b4947977.jpg

TISSOT-ETA-2836-2-25-jewels-movement-001eb7a0517d4e5aabe.jpg

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
WTF , why would one even want to do this ?

and ill wait for an answer ....................

Reactions: Rx4Time

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
A Rolex AD won't even need to look at the movement before he will immediately identify your watch as a replica. The movement is the last of your concerns. Also - why??? why?? Sure, your local store selling Quartz watches and the only service they've ever done is changing a battery isn't going to identify your rep as a rep, but any actual watch maker will immediately spot it.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
What a joke,....if you go to an AD they will most probably don't have a caseback opener.....no AD I know is willing to open a watch without reason....lmao

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Rolex don't use ETAs in their watches.

I can think of only one reason why you would want to do this - and it's a very bad reason.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I want to do a test and see if a local jeweler can identify my watch as a rep. To run this test, I'd need to put an eta 2836 into my Noob v8 sub Hulk. Otherwise, they'll know as soon as they open the case. How hard is this to do, and what kind of cost am I looking at?

Hmmmmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
those are both genuine movements

look at the pics , they have the exact same scratches/machining marks

movements-02.png

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
I have no sinister desire to sell my rep as a gen. It was more of an experiment to see if these watches can fool experts. Granted, I'm a complete amateur, but when I look at my rep, I cannot tell the difference between it and a gen. Clearly, people on this forum can. Though I somewhat question that, because what you often get is "the bezel is too dark, or the dial isn't the right hue." But the Hulk is tricky, because the coloration on both the bezel and dial look completely different depending on the lighting.

Also, I'm curious if Rolex has been putting out the exact shade of green on the dial and bezel since the Hulk's inception. If they've ever varied it, that means replicas will be even harder to differentiate, even to the attuned eye

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I get it you're fairly new at the hobby and amazed at the overall fit finish and feel of your watch. You're asking a question that many of us has asked when we first began this hobby, which is how much better can the genuine article really be. The answer is truthfully the differences are subtle but most definitely present for anyone who knows, and once you finally see the flaw it's very easy to see it again and again cuz you know exactly what to look for. Does it justify a 10 to 20 fold price difference? That's discussion I'll leave for others. Also all it takes is a check on the serial number to see that the watch is not real, and since the serial number is engraved on the rehault, sanding it down or artificially wearing it away is not an option.

As far as dial coloring and hue, that's not a significant tell. It might be something that draws a question and looks off, but that in and of itself would not be enough. Also the lume plots on a genuine Rolex dial are made of white gold versus the replicas polished silver. They are close but the white gold does have a little bit crisper shine. The lume intensity while very good is not as strong and evenly applied as the genuine, and Fades faster. . The dial font on the replica dial is thinner and not quite as well applied, giving a slight grayish Hue to it. Again not something you'd pick up unless you had a genuine sitting next to it.

The bezel font in person is a very obvious tell since the genuine Rolex bezel has Platinum applied via PVD process, versus the replica's painted. I'll give you a tell that you probably didn't even realize was present on your Submariner. The crown height is wrong versus genuine. When you look directly head-on from the dial side the crown sits lower and looks like it's sunk in and engulfed by the crown guards. there's a couple of threads here detailing this and showing examples. It's very subtle, but present. Is it something you could see on someone's wrist? absolutely not. The bezel font color is something that you can tell if you know what you're looking for from arms length. The replica Cyclops AR is not as strong as the genuine and is another tell. I can continue but you get the idea. Bottom line is overall build quality and appearance you're probably 90- 95% of the way there externally on the LN, the hulk is probably more like 85-90%. Remember pretty much any color besides black and white they get it close but never a hundred percent. I'll use my genuine and replica pelagos pictured below to illustrate this. To be honest and fair the replica pelagos is closer to the genuine than the replica submariners are to their genuine counterparts.

IMG_20180902_09540803db5c071451c60b.jpg

IMG_20180902_100014cee02ead748d71b1.jpg

Reactions: applestooranges

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
And I should clarify, when I say the LN is 90+% there, I'm referring to the SA3135 case. The crown height and other issues throw off the 2836 based rep so it's more like 80 there.

Reactions: applestooranges

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
I have no sinister desire to sell my rep as a gen. It was more of an experiment to see if these watches can fool experts. Granted, I'm a complete amateur, but when I look at my rep, I cannot tell the difference between it and a gen. Clearly, people on this forum can. Though I somewhat question that, because what you often get is "the bezel is too dark, or the dial isn't the right hue." But the Hulk is tricky, because the coloration on both the bezel and dial look completely different depending on the lighting.

Also, I'm curious if Rolex has been putting out the exact shade of green on the dial and bezel since the Hulk's inception. If they've ever varied it, that means replicas will be even harder to differentiate, even to the attuned eye

So why need an ETA mvt then? Fool experts with a mvt in a closed case? lol....

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
So why need an ETA mvt then? Fool experts with a mvt in a closed case? lol....

:whistling: He doesn't realize that time setting is the opposite direction on an ETA vs 3135...:hehehe:

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
So you go to an AD and you show your watch(which isn't appreciated and against the rules on repfora)? You guess the AD instantly wants to check if it is a gen by checking the timesetting....? lol

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
So you go to an AD and you show your watch(which isn't appreciated and against the rules on repfora)? You guess the AD instantly wants to check if it is a gen by checking the timesetting....? lol

His master plan was to hand it to a watch Smith to evaluate. I would assume they would unscrew the crown and notice something amiss almost immediately as every 28** movement I've wound the keyless is much different feeling vs my GMT.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Rolex has its own movement line.
ETA movement is used by The Swatch Group which owns Omega, Blancpain, Breguet, Longines, Swatch, Hamilton, Tissot and other Swiss brands that you've probably heard of.
So taking a fugazi Rolex with a gen ETA to an AD will not fool an expert.

jonnydrama32

Horology Curious
22/10/18
I get it you're fairly new at the hobby and amazed at the overall fit finish and feel of your watch. You're asking a question that many of us has asked when we first began this hobby, which is how much better can the genuine article really be. The answer is truthfully the differences are subtle but most definitely present for anyone who knows, and once you finally see the flaw it's very easy to see it again and again cuz you know exactly what to look for. Does it justify a 10 to 20 fold price difference? That's discussion I'll leave for others. Also all it takes is a check on the serial number to see that the watch is not real, and since the serial number is engraved on the rehault, sanding it down or artificially wearing it away is not an option.

As far as dial coloring and hue, that's not a significant tell. It might be something that draws a question and looks off, but that in and of itself would not be enough. Also the lume plots on a genuine Rolex dial are made of white gold versus the replicas polished silver. They are close but the white gold does have a little bit crisper shine. The lume intensity while very good is not as strong and evenly applied as the genuine, and Fades faster. . The dial font on the replica dial is thinner and not quite as well applied, giving a slight grayish Hue to it. Again not something you'd pick up unless you had a genuine sitting next to it.

The bezel font in person is a very obvious tell since the genuine Rolex bezel has Platinum applied via PVD process, versus the replica's painted. I'll give you a tell that you probably didn't even realize was present on your Submariner. The crown height is wrong versus genuine. When you look directly head-on from the dial side the crown sits lower and looks like it's sunk in and engulfed by the crown guards. there's a couple of threads here detailing this and showing examples. It's very subtle, but present. Is it something you could see on someone's wrist? absolutely not. The bezel font color is something that you can tell if you know what you're looking for from arms length. The replica Cyclops AR is not as strong as the genuine and is another tell. I can continue but you get the idea. Bottom line is overall build quality and appearance you're probably 90- 95% of the way there externally on the LN, the hulk is probably more like 85-90%. Remember pretty much any color besides black and white they get it close but never a hundred percent. I'll use my genuine and replica pelagos pictured below to illustrate this. To be honest and fair the replica pelagos is closer to the genuine than the replica submariners are to their genuine counterparts.

Wow. Thank you for the detailed response. The funny thing is, the only difference I see between the watches you posted is one has a hash mark at 3p and the other does not. All the other stuff you mention, like bezel painting and such, it's so microscopic that I'm surprised you're able to tell via a photo. The crown giveaway makes the most sense, but I'm guessing they tell doesn't exist if I had a 3135.

One of the responders on here asked why I'd change the movement on a closed case unless I was trying to do something sinister. But I see people all over this forum doing that for no reason. Honestly, you could probably fool 99% of people with a $15 knockoff. Most people aren't inspecting your watch for crown height, lume, etc. Basically, anyone spending more than $15 is not doing it for any other reason than a hobby.

Reactions: Faj