• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 'swiss' 2836 teardown

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Long awaited and took a LONG time to do.... let's hope this helps people :)

so first of all we take our movement from dealer X and watch Y and stick it into the carbon fibre movement holder.... as you can see from the outside all looks OK!

img0343ih.jpg

taking off the reverser we can see that all is not as it appears. The lack and incorrect application of lubrication has left a 'spirograph' pattern whilst HEAVILY oxidising the metal
img0344r.jpg

when we split it down further we can see that far from this being just cosmetic the parts have infact been damaged. Note we can see where the parts are in contact and where the incorrect lubrication has been applied to the right hand part; note the dual colours. The left hand part... well what can I add I actually like the effect.... if it weren't so... terrible lol.
img0370v.jpg

as you can see these ARE swiss reversers; with one jerelled and one not jewelled. No idea why the swiss did this BUT my swiss eta 2824 is the same....
img0372rs.jpg

Next part; note the damage to the brass wheel indicated. Also notice the circled hole in the mainplate and the damage there too. Also the one jewel they decide to oil... is unacceptably done so. Too much and wrong grade.
img0345t.jpg

Note again the dried grease and damaged mainplate.

img0346yi.jpg

Note the dried grease; this isnt good this is why it didnt wind well. Also note the damage to the circled barrel top.

img0347zu.jpg

img0349m.jpg

img0350h.jpg

well this is in actuality a SWISS movement... or was. The engravings match, the code of production is valid, the stamping is good, shock is correct etc etc. Note that the 'ticks' on the adjuster are CORRECT and this is the size and shape of the correct engravings.

img0348dh.jpg

stem parts; note the sheer oxidation to the ratchet and the 'gunk' inside of the smaller part on the right.... it's a joke.

img0351z.jpg

Under the barrel we find... more incorrect and uncleaned and dirty oil! This would affect the amplitude and PR hence why it was only giving 240 degrees!
img0352i.jpg

balance; actually apart from being (very) dirty it's OK. Hairspring is correct shape and seems perfectly (re)usable!
img0356ym.jpg

img0357uc.jpg

The plate on top of the pallets. Looks like a Chinese part - the 2 screws are incorrect and of different sizes...... and it's really dirty.
img0358xl.jpg

This is a swiss eta 2824 (pic taken when I was in Switzerland) take a look at the bridge over the pallets... notice the shape and finish & colour...

img0301ce.jpg

more congealed oil.... more dirt and more substandard oiling or jewels.
img0359xg.jpg

scratches to this part die to lack of oiling again

img0361p.jpg

another spirograph shape again due to grit and lack of oil.
img0362a.jpg

this part is relatively OK!
img0363ig.jpg

now the best bit... the stem! Where to start! Note the damage to the mainplate, the thick gunk on the parts, the other dried grease....

img0364xk.jpg

I dont know and I'm not sure I want to know what this stuff is....

img0365zt.jpg

img0366y.jpg

right take a look for yourselves at the dried grease, oxidised parts, gunk, and severe damage to these parts.. you be the judge!
img0367h.jpg

img0368a.jpg

img0369z.jpg

dirty and oxidised :)

img0371eb.jpg

and the final layout!
img0374m.jpg

Conclusion: This was a swiss movement. I use the phrase 'was. It (as I suspected) had been repaired with Chinese parts and very poorly. I would never ever pay a 'premium' to receive this. It seems to me that whilst these are OLD movements which are then 'repaired' the clones at the very least are 'new'. This means you do not have the whole issue of cleaning the old movements which the Chinese do NOT do.

In my opinion GO FOR THE CLONE. Why pay premium for this!

right if I missed anything let me know!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
can i get it stickied trk? :)

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
As above, great post!

And we wonder why we have rubbish power reserves and not-that-smooth sweeps... :lol:

rol_man

Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
This is a great educational post for the masses, thanks for taking the time to share with the forum... Asian clones for me!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Thanks for spending your time and money to confirm what we've thought for quite some time. It just doesn't pay to buy "Swiss" movements in clone watches. Buy the Asian movement and if it dies in the next few years, swap it out with a new Swiss movement and you're good to go!

Thanks, Smidsy!!!

Oh... and might I suggest this thread get STICKIED!!

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I don't think it matters if the dealer is mentioned. They are most likely just drop shipping and also being charged a premium for this movement. The scam and lack or QC is on the manufacturer. But hey, what can you expect from a 10 year old. He did his best putting this together , while being deprived of breaks and meals.

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
I don't think it matters if the dealer is mentioned. They are most likely just drop shipping and also being charged a premium for this movement. The scam and lack or QC is on the manufacturer. But hey, what can you expect from a 10 year old. He did his best putting this together , while being deprived of breaks and meals.

The sad thing is that's probably the truth....

I always used to say they used dirt instead of oil... well here's the proof!

mattheis

Renowned Member
7/5/07
After seeing the Preview pic, I went home and dug around through my watch graveyard and found a couple old 21j swapouts, dissected them and was surprised how clean they were in comparison to this "swiss." Not oiled the best, so Im sure in ten years they would end up showing identical wear and tear. Makes me want to take all my 7750s and other higher end movements in before it's too late... just need to find that special someone here in Columbus,Oh : (

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
The clone I dissected are a LOT better and a LOT cleaner.

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
WOW. Makes me feel so much more confident in my purchase of an Asian movement.

phillycheez

6/6/09
very informative and your conclusion makes sense. They probably are old swiss movements that have been repaired with chinese parts.

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Hey SMIDSY great post... did you dissect an asian clone like this? Would love to see how that looks like in the inside!!!

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Hey BMW760, I can't figure you out... Seems like you have something against fake watches? Is it the child labor? Now I'm not for child labor or anything, but I came from a third world country, and this type of work is actually helpful to their families. Work is hard to come by and these places can offer jobs just so families could eat. I'm not saying that it is to the US standards but none the less a better quality of life than before for them.

Also I would guess that even if the kids were young they learn fast.. by doing this daily you can still perfect what you do, making it better. But that's up to the standards of the factories or the bosses not the kids working.