• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EWF - 126613 Movement Replacement Questions

Mslaviero

Horology Curious
15/9/21
Good morning-

I have recently purchased and EWF 126613 as the title states. Its a beautiful watch and I love wearing it however it sounds like things are loose inside when I jiggle the watch. Its currently running fine without issue however I fear that longevity could be an issue.

I have come to learn that it has a cheap-o decorated Chinese 21J movement that is unlikely to be serviced by anybody. I am wanting to swap it out so I can have a serviceable watch moving forward.

I am interested in swapping the movement out for something more reliable and have been doing some research here but have a couple questions I haven't found answers for. I understand swapping a movement isn't horribly complex with the right tools of which I have. Also while I have it open I can properly grease all O-rings to help with waterproofing.

First question is where is the best place to source a movement? I understand from the sticky here, that the best purchase would be a conventional Asian clone 2824. I have seen names like Seagull and Sellita come up but prices are all over the place on eBay or DHGate ranging from $30-$250+. I would greatly appreciate some guidance on the best place or brand I should be looking at.

My next question is around the date wheel. Once I have a new movement, would I be able to use the date wheel currently in my watch? The printing is crisp and well placed within the date window. From teardowns I have seen I believe this can be done but would like to confirm.

If there is anything else I should consider but haven't mentioned here I am all ears.

I appreciate the help!!

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
I think the best option is to try swapping in a better Rolex clone movement, as the current HZ 21j movement has the same outside diameter.
Installing an eta movement or clone would require a custom movement ring to make up for the difference in diameter, and the date wheel would not be a direct fit.
Of course, the date wheel may not be a direct fit on a new Rolex clone either, there isn’t much information on the specs of the HZ movement regarding date wheel fitment, hand sizes, stem height, etc. So there will probably be some trial and error involved in the swap.

Reactions: Hesekiel

A-wandererX23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/10/20
It's a Hangzhou movement bro. I would try to see if you could send this back to your dealer and have the factory replace it.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
What noises are you hearing? Remember it's a unidirectional winding movement, so you'll hear the rotor free spinning. If you really like it you're better off just buying a better version of that versus going through all the headache and expenses of trying to upgrade the movement in there. Your best bet for the parts would be rafflesdials. You should be able to find a compatible Rolex style date wheel for the 2824 and an appropriate set of hands as I don't think your hands will work on the new movement

Mslaviero

Horology Curious
15/9/21
What noises are you hearing? Remember it's a unidirectional winding movement, so you'll hear the rotor free spinning. If you really like it you're better off just buying a better version of that versus going through all the headache and expenses of trying to upgrade the movement in there. Your best bet for the parts would be rafflesdials. You should be able to find a compatible Rolex style date wheel for the 2824 and an appropriate set of hands as I don't think your hands will work on the new movement

So I dont hear anything when the watch is stable; the noices are only when I shake the watch. Just sounds like something could be loose; this could be normal and just my ignorance with rep watches as this is my first.

From other comments it sounds like I should just let this watch runs it course. If it eventually dies then Ill just replace the whole watch. EWF seems like a nice low cost entry point. Wont loose any sleep if it fails eventually.

I appreciate all the responses here!!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
So I dont hear anything when the watch is stable; the noices are only when I shake the watch. Just sounds like something could be loose; this could be normal and just my ignorance with rep watches as this is my first.
From other comments it sounds like I should just let this watch runs it course. If it eventually dies then Ill just replace the whole watch. EWF seems like a nice low cost entry point. Wont loose any sleep if it fails eventually.
I appreciate all the responses here!!
So what you're hearing is the rotor free spinning. The way your movement is designed it winds the watch in One direction and free spins in the other direction. This is different than a majority of the other movements like the ETA 2824 which winds in both directions so you don't get that free spinning rotor. Another movement that has the free spinning rotor is the 7750. Although the watch I'm wearing tonight has a 7750 in it,The rotor spin is not audible enough for me to record. I should note that sometimes my 7750 base watches the rotor free spins so much that you can actually see a little wobble at the watch while it's sitting on my wrist. This is completely normal behavior.

Reactions: Hesekiel

Mslaviero

Horology Curious
15/9/21
So what you're hearing is the rotor free spinning. The way your movement is designed it winds the watch in One direction and free spins in the other direction. This is different than a majority of the other movements like the ETA 2824 which winds in both directions so you don't get that free spinning rotor. Another movement that has the free spinning rotor is the 7750. Although the watch I'm wearing tonight has a 7750 in it,The rotor spin is not audible enough for me to record. I should note that sometimes my 7750 base watches the rotor free spins so much that you can actually see a little wobble at the watch while it's sitting on my wrist. This is completely normal behavior.

Perfect! I appreciate the knowledge share. Makes me feel better about the watch. Now Ill just hope I get a good life span from it.