• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stiff manual winding on ETA 2824

Marshal77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/21
Hello guys,

Just finished my 2nd project watch with ETA 2824 movement. After attaching crown&stem back in, I noticed that manual winding seems stiff. I could have sworn that winding was easier right out of the box.

Now normally I would not think so much about this, but about a year ago, I made slight change to one of my ETA2824 powered Steinharts (which required removing / re-installing crown&stem) and I also noticed that after that change work, manual winding was stiffer.

Guys, am I doing something wrong?

Unlikely causes, but I write these down anyway : I did not lubricate the stem in both cases, can it be the reason? In that 2nd project, I have to add, that movement probably has just not been running at all for months or even years. Or can it be that the with a smaller stock crown, everything seems harder to wind?

Last edited:

Davne25

Supporter // Watchaddict
23/3/17
Germany
Hello mate, to know if you are doing something wrong you have to share some more information on how you are exactly doing it. In general the lubrication of the stem is important (as all lubrications) but shouldn’t make that much of a different feeling when winding. Now this is really hard to say because everybody has a different perceivement of what is a big difference and what not.
To answer your question, are you sure it is not the Mainspring turning in the barrel when fully wound? - release all pressure from the mainspring and see if the „issue“ presists, to start with something. :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Last edited: