• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What substitute can I use ?

WLW

Looking Around
4/3/21
I like to replace my 2813 movement with a better reliable one. Which one will be the same size and dial position posts

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Is your 2813 broken? Replace it with another 2813. If it's not broken, then carry on using the watch till it breaks. The movement is a cheap engine, and it's rarely worth the modding hassle to upgrade.

NCRich wrote a good guide to replacing the 2813 with a Seiko NH35. But it's not a straight swap and some modding skills are needed. It's an interesting read though, regardless (as all his guides are):

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/154105-seiko-nh35-swap-in-a-jk-factory-sub-tutorial/

Reactions: rwacc

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
no replacement options without new dial and hands
the 2813 is fine and cheap and if you don't like it you should have bought a different watch (with an A2824/36) in the first place

Shiningdawn

Looking Around
20/5/21
Usually I buy 2813 at around USD 20, it is not expensive, maybe you can find one cheaper than me...

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I have a JF Daytona with a 21J in it that is kinda' wonky - stops, starts, keeps irregular time. Its not worthwhile servicing it and I'd like to have it swapped out. Being a newb its hard to find someone who will do it much less determining the appropriate swappable movement. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening. Thanks for any feedback.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
I have a JF Daytona with a 21J in it that is kinda' wonky - stops, starts, keeps irregular time. Its not worthwhile servicing it and I'd like to have it swapped out. Being a newb its hard to find someone who will do it much less determining the appropriate swappable movement. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening. Thanks for any feedback.

It’s a DG3836, new ones go for around $40.

Reactions: p0pperini

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
It’s a DG3836, new ones go for around $40.

How is it that you can make that determination? I ask not questioning your veracity, only that I've had some folks say its a 4130, some say a 7750. If it IS a 3836 I'd buy a new movement swap it out but finding some one to do that is a challenge. Thanks for the info. And additional insight you may have would be appreciated.

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
How is it that you can make that determination? I ask not questioning your veracity, only that I've had some folks say its a 4130, some say a 7750. If it IS a 3836 I'd buy a new movement swap it out but finding some one to do that is a challenge. Thanks for the info. And additional insight you may have would be appreciated.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question, the dg3836 is the 21j movement used in cheaper Daytona reps, it’s not a functional chronograph movement. If yours was functional, then probably an A7753.
Can you post a pic?

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Aha. Yes, I believe you are correct as the subdials were/are non-functional. The pushers and sweep second hand are functional as the 2 o'clock pusher stops/starts it and the 4 o'clock subdial resets it. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology but that is the best way I can describe it. I don't have the ability to post pics here. If you PM me with your hotmail/gmail I can send some. Thanks.

Hor-Fan

Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Aha. Yes, I believe you are correct as the subdials were/are non-functional. The pushers and sweep second hand are functional as the 2 o'clock pusher stops/starts it and the 4 o'clock subdial resets it. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology but that is the best way I can describe it. I don't have the ability to post pics here. If you PM me with your hotmail/gmail I can send some. Thanks.

Well, that’s confusing… if the large seconds chrono hand is functional and controlled by the pushers then it is definitely not the 21j 3836 as that has a frozen large seconds hand and the pushers move the subdials. The fact that yours starts, stops, and resets with the pushers suggests it is a 7750, but then you should have some subdial function…

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
OK, here they are. Anyone know >specifically< what this movement is, and more importantly, what movement to swap in to make the watch functional?
j3SpxR
I don't need a decorated movment and I can source one myself (as long as I know what to buy) and I don't need full chrono functionality. I just want the watch to tell time.

https://clickpix.org/image/j3SQIQ
https://clickpix.org/image/j3SldL
https://clickpix.org/image/j3SBZS
https://clickpix.org/image/j3SpxR

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
If you use the Clickpix "Full Image" BBCode, then we can all see the pics here without having to click each pic link.