• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Consensus on New Breed Asian 2813 Automatic Movement, 25J Highbeat 28800?

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
I KNOW these movements have been advertised for years now, but based upon my admittedly limited observational only experience with this movement, I wonder if they have been upgraded/changed? Here is why...I have read numerous articles (mostly old, as there does not seem to be many new posts) on the so-called "New Breed Nickle Plated Asian 2813, Automatic Movement, 25J, Highbeat 28800, Rolex Style Perforated Rotor" that the Cartels are advertising. I generally stick with the clone ETA movements, but on the watch I wanted, there was not an accurate color dial (in my opinion) except by a certain maker. As, I was disappointed too many times on other dials, & going through too much money, I found a dial that looked right, & decided to go with this cheaper movement from the same maker, over their clone 2836. Luckily, I am happy w/their dial, & was going to sell the "New Breed" & get the clone ETA. However, I've had this "New Breed" for about two weeks now, & it is keeping good time, the hands sweep is VERY smooth (I confirmed on my timer it is 28800 bpm), the power reserve is strong, it winds smooth, adjusting time is smooth, and there is next to zero rotor noise. The only complaint (which is minor) is the time snaps over just pass midnight, not exactly at midnight. It's not a slow rollover, just not exact, I don't really care about that, but wish to point it out for accuracy. Anyway, I generally have never had much luck with 2813's as they have always "acted cheap" to me. Now I'm wondering what the heck this movement is? It does not look like a DG2813, & it does not look like a DG2814. I'm going to present some pictures of the movement I have, & what was advertised on the site I purchased the watch from. They don't really match the 2813 "new breed" & somewhat matches the clone in looks. However, I'm not trying to argue this is a clone, but it does act more like one in quality.

Now, to counter this, it has no maker markings I can see at all, and the machining quality looks good-to-very good, but not on par to our ETA clones. I have read the below from various members. Most of these comments are older, by at least a few years. So, this is why I'm wondering if the "new breed" is "evolving."

COMMENTS BELOW MARKED WITH AN * IS FROM VARIOUS OTHER MEMBERS OVER THE YEARS...THEY ARE NOT MINE.

*This movement we are discussing is just a cheap copy of a eta clone, many differences and parts do not interchange.

*The dealers call it a 21j high beat movement. I think the official designation may be something like DG2813-2, not sure on this

*It is basically a crude clone / variant of the asian and swiss ETA 2836-2. It seems to be same size and height as the 2836-2.

*Furthermore, the hands fitted on the movement fit a 2836 / 2824 movement, not a dg2813. The feet position are same as ETA 2836. (not dg2813). Unlike the 2836, the dial feet are held in the movement with some sort of a securing screw, a bit different from what is on the dg2813 and in my movement, those screws did not seem to hold the feet well but this is not an issue when movement is secured in a case.

*The stem is unique and not compatible with either movement.

* If it breaks, it can be replace it with a 2836-2 and it will be a straight forward swap. You will replace your stem too. (Although, there was MUCH debate about this).

Picture #1 is what my "new breed" movement is pictured on the seller's site. Picture #2 is the clone ETA. Pictures #3 thru #5 is what's in the back of my watch. Picture #6 is the timer showing 28000 bph.

To me, IMHO, picture #2, looks more like my movement, then a general DG2813. So, my LONG WINDED question is, does anybody have any idea if this actually is as pointed out in the first movement comment... "This movement we are discussing is just a cheap copy of a eta clone, many differences and parts do not interchange."

It does seem to me, to be a "mystery movement" that so far, is working better then a 2813, acts almost like a clone ETA, but is not one.

Now to the picts and my confusion?

3uTMj.jpg

3uXg4.jpg

3ukoI.jpg

3uwPc.jpg

3u40X.jpg

3uutb.jpg

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
The movement in your watch looks like a Shanghai 2824, essentially a clone of a clone, none of the parts are actually interchangeable with the Eta. If you look at the fork touching the timing adjustment screw you’ll notice that it’s not attached to the balance jewel collar, on the eta and true eta clones this is one piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warrcraft and d4v3

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
That is EXCELLENT insight! I will research that. I figured it was some form of a “clone of a clone” Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
The movement in your watch looks like a Shanghai 2824, essentially a clone of a clone, none of the parts are actually interchangeable with the Eta. If you look at the fork touching the timing adjustment screw you’ll notice that it’s not attached to the balance jewel collar, on the eta and true eta clones this is one piece.
[h=4]I looked the movement you stated it appeared to be. It looks spot on, so I believe you are correct. Below were some of the specs. Interestingly, they all read 21600 bph, although mine (per my timer) is as advertized at 28000 bpm. I imagine the factories can "overclock" them so to speak. Again, thank you for the info Hor-Fan!

Shaghai 2824 Automatic Watch Movement.[/h]
  • Diameter: 25.60mm
  • Height : 5.4 mm
  • Hands: 1.50 x 0.90 x 0.22mm
  • Type of Movement: Automatic Movement
  • Date Wheel: Yes (Big Date at 3 o'clock)
  • Date Adjustment: Quick Adjustment
  • Number of Jewels: 21 Jewels
  • Power Reserve: Approximately 40 hours
  • Frequency per hour : 21600
  • Hacking Seconds : Yes
  • Movement Regulated to 2 positions from factory
  • Except total height, compatible with ETA 2824 (Dm, stem position, dial feet)
  • Parts not suitable for ETA movement

Reactions: Hor-Fan

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
[h=4]I looked the movement you stated it appeared to be. It looks spot on, so I believe you are correct. Below were some of the specs. Interestingly, they all read 21600 bph, although mine (per my timer) is as advertized at 28000 bpm. I imagine the factories can "overclock" them so to speak. Again, thank you for the info Hor-Fan!

they make both , 28k and 21k

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
So the bottom line is the New Breed ‘2813’ appears to be a Shaghai 2824 clone of a clone 2824 HB 28000 bpm movement. Thank you all for the education.

Reactions: Hor-Fan

davebrownocc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/5/21
Arroyo Grande, CA

Warcraft, if you have a minute, I'd like to ask about the line "Except total height.... what is the Dm?