• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Tutorial On Removing Your Winder Stem

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
e2a9d434.jpg

btocamelo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/09
You are the man! Your explanation and photos are tops!...I always wanted to learn about watch repair...and I know this stuff is just the tip...but as they say...every long journey begins with a small step!

Francisco

23/12/07
Good tuto.

I strongly recommend remove the stem in the winding position. It is much safer.

Regards,

Francisco

Francisco

23/12/07
Good tuto.

I strongly recommend remove the stem in the winding position. It is much safer.

Regards,

Francisco

jy6221

7/7/09
I used these instructions a little while ago. I've used this method since and had a lovely experiance every time.

Thanks loads! And bumping for all the new memebers to read :)

normalizer

5/1/10
wish I had read this last sunday morning before taking my new sub apart....

sigh....

Thanks Fakey, at least I know I'm not the first person to make that mistake.

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
You advise leaving the stem in the set position when releasing it . This is not the way I do it . I release it from the first position or wind position . This avoids problems involving the detent and clutch lever coming out of place .

Mendel

12/8/09
Thx for the great Tutorial. But one question remains for me. When putting the stem back in, do I also have to push the stem release button, or is this button only for the release of the stem???

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
That is actually not a straight yes no answer. On some other models it can be necessary. If it is hanging up you might need to. But normally you don't. See where I am going lol? But no matter what you do don't push the stem itself in. Just roll it.

clellandm

24/10/08
I am getting ready to open up my 2009 FMP and checked Fakey's Corner just in case there was a helpful article - JUST LIKE THIS ONE!

Thanks FM!

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Geesh... Like 14 watches later, I finally read this post!

Reading really IS fundamental...

Any, thanks for the great and informative tutorial Fakemaster.

nofitstate

20/7/13
Cheers for this. Still seems to be conflicting advice as to whether the stem should be in the time setting or winding mode.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
Really helpful indeed.
I first thought the button was inside here (see pic) Would have been obvious, no?
Now I can waterproof this watch. :cool-new:

deafnotdaft

16/4/14
Despite this being posted several years ago, I have just found out how to do this now thanks to this thread. Information and knowledge is indeed timeless.

Thanks Fakey.