• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it worth it to service?

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
I have a A2813 movement and it runs +16 secs a day. Do you guys think it's worth it to service and regulate the movement or should I just buy a new one off of eBay? Thanks in advance!

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
And how much roughly do you think it costs to regulate this movement at a local watchsmith? Thanks!

WildRide

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/10/16
Depends on your location really, my local watchsmith at my home country services all my movements beautifully for $30 a pop, he is a very experienced old timer. It would cost a $100 to get a single one serviced in US. That's why I do all my servicing when I visit home.

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Cost outweighs the benefit. You should be able to easily get this closer to 5-7 seconds with the adjustment. Most will not even service a 21 j. New one is only $30...

B

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
Depends on your location really, my local watchsmith at my home country services all my movements beautifully for $30 a pop, he is a very experienced old timer. It would cost a $100 to get a single one serviced in US. That's why I do all my servicing when I visit home.
Wow 30 bucks?? What kind of movements are in your watches? Are they relatively easy to service? I'm from Singapore btw, idk if you know but it's a small country and there aren't many watchsmiths here. And many of them shun replica watches for some reason :(

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
Cost outweighs the benefit. You should be able to easily get this closer to 5-7 seconds with the adjustment. Most will not even service a 21 j. New one is only $30...

B
Hmm, I know you can regulate it yourself by opening the caseback and tweaking it with the adjustment lever but honestly I don't trust myself enough to do it lol. I'd rather just pay to bring it to a watchsmith and let him check it out rather then risk screwing up my watch. But then again, the movement is worth 30 bucks as you said so it wouldn't really hurt my wallet that much anyways. Thanks for the insight! :)

WildRide

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/10/16
Wow 30 bucks?? What kind of movements are in your watches? Are they relatively easy to service? I'm from Singapore btw, idk if you know but it's a small country and there aren't many watchsmiths here. And many of them shun replica watches for some reason :(

A2836, A3120, Miyota, Seagull, everything really. He did take an extra 10 bucks to service A3120 but rest was done for 30.

WatchnScotch

Certified
10/12/10
16 seconds a day isn't that bad. I wouldn't even worry about it.

bobandshawn

Patron
29/10/13
Florida
A2836, A3120, Miyota, Seagull, everything really. He did take an extra 10 bucks to service A3120 but rest was done for 30.

You are very lucky! Most here will not work on 2813's because they are quite "cheaply" made and will cost more to service than just buying a new movement. Service for an ETA 2824/36 ranges greatly and I recently had a well-known (or infamous) modder quote me $120 for a service. Moreover, he wouldn't even work on asian 28's. Considering I can get brand new ETA's for $160 I thought this was pretty ridiculous...

UDTMIKE

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/5/17
I would think that there would be a lot of watcsmiths in Singapore who would set the timing for almost nothing.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
I would use it and regulate it till it dies and throw it away once it dies. Forget servicing in SG. Not worth your time and effort. Most repair shops not dependable either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
I would use it and regulate it till it dies and throw it away once it dies. Forget servicing in SG. Not worth your time and effort. Most repair shops not dependable either.

I wouldn't want to throw it away. Do you think it'll be feasible to change the movement entirely to lets say a A2836 or A2824?

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
I wouldn't want to throw it away. Do you think it'll be feasible to change the movement entirely to lets say a A2836 or A2824?

Depends on the watch. Hands might not fit. I would send it to one of the watch smiths here instead. Much faster and less of a headache

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
Depends on the watch. Hands might not fit. I would send it to one of the watch smiths here instead. Much faster and less of a headache

Yeah but then I'll have shipping fees and then I'll have to worry about customs etc. I just think it'll be less of a headache sending it to a reputable watchsmith here that is friendly towards reps rather than ship it.

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
There is no reputable rep service watchsmiths here. Been there tried that.

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
God damn, that's a lot of movements to service and just 30 bucks each. Your watchsmith must be very generous haha xD

beefjerky456

I'm Pretty Popular
4/3/12
will the new 28xx movement need a new ring to go inside the existing case? Probably
will the dial attach to the new movement? Probably not, will need to stick it on as the dial feet/pins are in different places on A2816/A28xx
will the crown stem height line up with the case and new movement? Possibly not
will a new 2816 movement be more accurate than +-16 seconds a day? Probably not
will the date window on your 2816 line up with the 28xx position? Don't think so

It looks like you are making yourself a lot of work/expense for very little or no gain