• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question from a noob. 2813 stops sporadically

crsteen

Known Member
29/1/13
I decided to venture into the parts swapping arena lately. I have had the hard learning experiences. One specific question I have though. I was doing a dial swap on a older sterile watch I have. Everything was going fine. I took care to not touch any movement parts while handling it. All seemed well until I had it cased up and ready to screw the back on. Now the movement will stop sporadically. Sometimes after 10-15 seconds, a shake has it going again. Then it may run 10 minutes then stop, again a shake gets it going.

The watch is wound and gently shook, so the spring is wound enough to work. Any ideas what may have happened?

I think I pressed too hard on the second hand setting it. I never got a good seat feel, so I wonder did pressing it too hard cause this?

Hope someone can shed some light on what may have happened. I know they are cheap to replace, just trying not to repeat an error.

UDTMIKE

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/5/17
Did you screw the stem in to tight? Try backing off on the stem a little and see if it starts running.

Rick914

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/11
Texas
For the cost, I'd suggest getting a replacement from Oferi. The ones that come in the reps seem to be lower quality and have a host of issues. I broke my watchsmith teeth on those too, defiantly have more broke ones than running. They can be fixed, but it can be a PITA since a part from one doesn't always fit well in another.
It would probably cost you about the same to get it fixed than to just order the new movement. The ones from Oferi have never given me an issue, ever. I have one that's been running 4years now just fine. I actually just checked timing on it last night and got this: DU= +2spd, PD=+3spd, PF=-4spd

SkullCrusher

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/2/17
I decided to venture into the parts swapping arena lately. I have had the hard learning experiences. One specific question I have though. I was doing a dial swap on a older sterile watch I have. Everything was going fine. I took care to not touch any movement parts while handling it. All seemed well until I had it cased up and ready to screw the back on. Now the movement will stop sporadically. Sometimes after 10-15 seconds, a shake has it going again. Then it may run 10 minutes then stop, again a shake gets it going.

The watch is wound and gently shook, so the spring is wound enough to work. Any ideas what may have happened?

I think I pressed too hard on the second hand setting it. I never got a good seat feel, so I wonder did pressing it too hard cause this?

Hope someone can shed some light on what may have happened. I know they are cheap to replace, just trying not to repeat an error.

Could be a pube/object deep inside the movement, sounds like a good excuse to upgrade :drinks_cheers:

crsteen

Known Member
29/1/13
I'm definitely going to replace it. It was almost 5 years old anyway. Maybe it was on the verge and the dial swap was enough to make if finally give up the ghost.

I learned a lesson. I ordered the cheapest 2813 from All Watch Parts and the date change mechanism was DOA. I managed to fix it to where you could change the date manually. But it still would not change on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

crsteen

Known Member
29/1/13
^^^
The date change issue was in a entirety different project. Just an FYI I thought I would share on going the cheapest route on a movement purchase [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

crsteen

Known Member
29/1/13
Well as I walked in my office this morning( yes I do watch things at work SHHHH ) I saw a shiny ring laying on the floor. I picked it up and it was a dial spacer. I thought surely this did not fall off this dial and I didn't notice...
So I removed the hands and dial, nope , the dial spacer was missing :bash: . So I put the dial back on with the spacer this time, and will see if she will keep running.

My date change issues followed me though. Now the date will change manually but will not advance when rotating the hands manually 24hrs.Man this is a steep learning curve :laughing:

CarlosFFF

25/6/13
Those 2813 movements are a pain. It's been a while since I fiddled with one but if I remember correctly they are clones of the miyota 8215. Those are pretty cheap too - you may be best off buying one of those for just a few bucks more and swapping it in. The quality difference is noticeable, even if the 8215 is bottom shelf for miyota.

crsteen

Known Member
29/1/13
Well it seems the spacer was the only issue. Watch has been running all day, just a dumb mistake on my part. Will replace later to solve the date change issue.