• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DG2813 acceptable beat error

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I got a new watch with a DG2813 movement.

I've been trying to find the specs for the movement regarding regular beat error range without luck so far so I don't really know what to expect.
This particular movement has a beat error of 1.0 ms so I'm wondering if that's acceptable for a new DG2813. I'm not complaining as this is a cheap movement but knowing the "normal" beat error range would be useful if such a thing makes sense.

Thomas_G.

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/11/12
0,0 to 0,2 is perfect, up to 0,5 acceptable. More influences the precision of timekeeping. Try in dial side down 0,0, then it levels out fine. Needs patience and steady hands, but is well worth as regulating the seconds afterwards is easier in general.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
0,0 to 0,2 is perfect, up to 0,5 acceptable. More influences the precision of timekeeping. Try in dial side down 0,0, then it levels out fine. Needs patience and steady hands, but is well worth as regulating the seconds afterwards is easier in general.

Thanks mate. Useful info about acceptable beat error.

However I don't understand what you mean by "Try in dial side down 0,0, then it levels out fine" and the rest of the post not so much either. Can you elaborate ?

Thomas_G.

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/11/12
The beat error is essential for the complete regulation. Gravity and a bad beat error make a watch hard to regulate in terms of daily deviation, so it is useful to start always with the beat error. If you have the watch on the timing machine, then usually dial side down and with open caseback up. In that position you should hit 0,0 ms, in hanging position the beat error might be 0,1 or 0,2, but it is still good. And next steps, you can regulate the daily deviation in seconds.

Does that help a bit?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I've tried to regulate beat error on a 21J and so far seems to be quite hit and miss.

As far as I know, I should be rotating the big lever in this photo, isn't it? (The one without any arrows for "faster" or "slower", I mean).

Is there any advice? I can't find a pattern where beat error is significantly lower, no matter if I move it left or right, it's always quite high. Should it be noticeable instantly or is it better to move the lever and wait a couple of minutes? Also, do you advice to do this with seconds stopped (crown fully pulled out) or is it ok to do it while still running?

Thanks so much!