• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Glass mark - what is it?

Swiss_goupil

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Guys,

I have a weird mark on my diver’s glass. It is above the ft of the inscription 300m/1000ft.

What could it be? The glass is a Prof 2AR.

Thought of a scratch, but round? Though of an underneath dust/hair, but again the shape is weird.
8f49ff86f8a457d7151a7daf4f55b0f6.jpg

Any help appreciated. Hope I don’t have to replace the crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Are you referring to the large circular mark around the “ft” inspection? Could be a scratch on the AR coating?

Stunning watch btw

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Are you referring to the large circular mark around the “ft” inspection? Could be a scratch on the AR coating?

Stunning watch btw

Yes that one. A circular scratch? Bit odd no?

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA
Any chance that condensation occurred and what you're seeing is the watermark from the evaporated condensation?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Yes that one. A circular scratch? Bit odd no?

Wasn’t sure if you’d drawn a circle to show a defect. Haha

I’m pretty sure it’s a scratch on the AR costing.

Used to get them a lot on gen omega xtals with x2AR.

If you polish a 2AR crystal with a cloth in a circular fashion and the cloth had a spec of dust (similar to a micro grain of sand) - then it’s game over for your x2AR coating.

Sent from the RWI App

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I’ve had cufflinks or metallic jacket cuff buttons put swirlies on my 2AR like this.

Might have to buff off the outer AR later and roll with the 1AR on the inside. Might even look more gen.

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Yes I have tried to clean it already. I always use a glasses purpose cloth to clean my watches but a scratch can always happen. Sucks tho. But it only appears on certain angles, playing with the light. Problem is always the same right? When you have seen something it is impossible to avoid it now. I m going to check my previous picture of the watch to see if I can see it...

I asked the question as I have another ROO with double AR with scratches and they don’t look at all like this ‘round’ mark... there is no depth in this scratch either ie you can feel it with your finger nail.

How do you remove the AR coating btw?

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
fa1cadccfcffdbe3cc7b60530a4cd4c6.jpg

Picture from one month ago. No mark on the glass... :(

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Does look like a swirlie on the outer AR.

google RWI remove AR.

Might be worth giving that a shot

Reactions: Swiss_goupil

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Swiss_goupil this is an AR scratch on the outer layer and a classic example of why double AR crystals should never be used.
The gen uses a single AR crystal for good reason, and double AR crystals make your watch look like a fantasy build, and like I mentioned many times before: If you know your APs, you will know that the crystal being ultra-reflective at certain angles is a very characteristic part of gen AP crystals.

Double AR crystals are prone to erosion, marring, scratching, fading, and spotting. The outer coating will last a much shorter time than the inner coating. There is no point modding any AP at all and then slap a double AR crystal on it. It will be marginally better than painting the dial a bright neon pink and inscribing "flamingo edition" on it.
Forget about that classic line about double AR crystals making your dial pop. It will very likely make your crystal look like a bug splattered windscreen after a 400 mile drive during summer eventually.

Reactions: Allure

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Swiss_goupil this is an AR scratch on the outer layer and a classic example of why double AR crystals should never be used.
The gen uses a single AR crystal for good reason, and double AR crystals make your watch look like a fantasy build, and like I mentioned many times before: If you know your APs, you will know that the crystal being ultra-reflective at certain angles is a very characteristic part of gen AP crystals.

Double AR crystals are prone to erosion, marring, scratching, fading, and spotting. The outer coating will last a much shorter time than the inner coating. There is no point modding any AP at all and then slap a double AR crystal on it. It will be marginally better than painting the dial a bright neon pink and inscribing "flamingo edition" on it.
Forget about that classic line about double AR crystals making your dial pop. It will very likely make your crystal look like a bug splattered windscreen after a 400 mile drive during summer eventually.

I fully agree. I bought it like this and will now change the crystal to something more gen like. As I don’t have the one sold with the watch, would you be so kind in pointing where I can get a quality crystal for my Diver? That would be much appreciated

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
It will be marginally better than painting the dial a bright neon pink and inscribing "flamingo edition" on it.
Let's leave that to Dr Fun Socks but I completely agree.

The XF FC diver is a great watch and even greater when the crystal is changed to a 1xAR one during the modding process. I think XF is the only factory that actually assembles 2xAR crystals in AP reps, they definitely caught onto the wrong train with that lol.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I fully agree. I bought it like this and will now change the crystal to something more gen like. As I don’t have the one sold with the watch, would you be so kind in pointing where I can get a quality crystal for my Diver? That would be much appreciated

What you can do is to remove the AR coating on the outer layer yourself. If its a prof crystal, it will be an upgrade over the gen once this is done. You can either use a dremel, a metal polish, or car polish with a soft cloth. Easy as pie but take your time to be thorough. Problem solved and you will have a watch which resembles AP better and a crystal which makes sense for the real world, and not one seeking to win a beauty contest on Fantasy Island.

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
Let's leave that to Dr Fun Socks but I completely agree.

The XF FC diver is a great watch and even greater when the crystal is changed to a 1xAR one during the modding process. I think XF is the only factory that actually assembles 2xAR crystals in AP reps, they definitely caught onto the wrong train with that lol.

Do you think that is the original crystal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
What you can do is to remove the AR coating on the outer layer yourself. If its a prof crystal, it will be an upgrade over the gen once this is done. You can either use a dremel, a metal polish, or car polish with a soft cloth. Easy as pie but take your time to be thorough. Problem solved and you will have a watch which resembles AP better and a crystal which makes sense for the real world, and not one seeking to win a beauty contest on Fantasy Island.

I will definite try this. Thank you Sir

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Do you think that is the original crystal?

What QueTip was trying to say was that XF used a double AR crystal in their release instead of a single AR one unlike most other factories.
The gen AP crystal can be completely reflective at times and that is the nature of the crystal. If you want to wear an AP, you need to at least learn how the gen looks and mod your watch sensibly. If you look through the double AR crystal APs for sale they always like to make it look like an upgrade, but AP dials are never meant to “pop” or are they meant to be an accident waiting to happen. Remember this always and not listen to the people who have never handled or seen an AP.

You may wish to, pun fully intended, reflect on what I wrote. :hehehe:

Reactions: Allure and QueTip

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
What QueTip was trying to say was that XF used a double AR crystal in their release instead of a single AR one unlike most other factories.
The gen AP crystal can be completely reflective at times and that is the nature of the crystal. If you want to wear an AP, you need to at least learn how the gen looks and mod your watch sensibly. If you look through the double AR crystal APs for sale they always like to make it look like an upgrade, but AP dials are never meant to “pop” or are they meant to be an accident waiting to happen. Remember this always and not listen to the people who have never handled or seen an AP.

You may wish to, pun fully intended, reflect on what I wrote. :hehehe:

Don’t worry A, I know how a gen AP looks like. I might not be an AP owner, this doesn’t mean I have never had one in my hands or on my wrist ;)

That wasn’t my question. I was wondering if the crystal on my watch is just the XF 2xAR and not an upgraded Prof - nothing more, nothing less.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I have used Cape cod cloth to remove the outer AR coating before with good results.

Reactions: Swiss_goupil

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Don’t worry A, I know how a gen AP looks like. I might not be an AP owner, this doesn’t mean I have never had one in my hands or on my wrist ;)

That wasn’t my question. I was wondering if the crystal on my watch is just the XF 2xAR and not an upgraded Prof - nothing more, nothing less.

There was this dude who used to hold court to educate guys on how the gen AP "is or isn't like" and he would produce youtube videos, online pics, and his grand experience of viewing the gen through a shop window once, as his back up references. He even tried to educate a gen owner (namely me) on what color the rotor should be, producing another online pic to substantiate his claim, and being completely wrong as per 95% of his statements. I agree with you that whilst gen ownership isn't strictly necessary to establish facts, it is important to at least spend time to observe and feel any watch to at least get an impression of it. True in-depth visual and tactile knowledge about a watch can only come with ownership, as you see and feel various aspects of it under different conditions, over a salient period of time. There is just no substitute for that. Therein lies the difference between impression and knowledge. One is like saying hello to a new person and bantering with him for 5 minutes and the other is like spending actual time with a person in multiple scenarios over a period of time.

To answer your question, the crystal is likely not the stock one, due to the purplish tinge. If I recall correctly, the stock XF crystal comes either with a greenish or clear tinge. Obviously, you will know best. It will be funny otherwise, if you know the gen APs better than a watch you actually own and wear. Its a watch which you are most qualified to educate others about, and I hope that you have a successful journey with your AR removal, and share said experience with the community when its done.

Reactions: Allure