• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Highly Scientific Case For Always Sometimes Servicing Reps...

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
A Highly Scientific Case For Always Sometimes Servicing Reps Out of the Box Based on Anecdotal Experience
And By Extension Paying Closer Attention To Lift Angle
By Hanski

So there was this one time that a Tudor BB58 came from a TD in China with an Asian 2824-2 clone movement. As the story goes, it was performing mediocre, not bad, not great, but like I said, mediocre.

B95-F87-D3-1-F26-4-F9-C-BE45-E065-AE20-DC06.jpg

+6s/d in dial up position isn’t all that bad but an amplitude of 266 and beat error of 0.4 for a brand new movement, not super great. If you’ve been paying especially close attention to the narrator you’d notice the Lift Angle is set at 52. It should really be 50. Really this only effects the Amplitude calculation. In the case of a 2 point deviation, it accounts for about 10 points of Amplitude. The 266 should really be about 256. So maybe it’s worth describing the health of the movement as mediocre.

Reading the semi-sad take the Timegrapher shows our protagonist spends a fortnight deliberating what to do next. And henceforth it is decided to clean the movement with real Swiss cleaning fluids, lubrications the movement with real Swiss oil, and regulate the movement with real Swiss tools.

With great trepidation the watch ventured back onto the Timegrapher for yet another reading.

6-DA6-A588-1-FE1-432-C-810-E-52-DDC2-C3-A24-F.jpg

Huzzah! The test results are stellar, even with a 10 point amplitude adjustment down to 295! A young knight in training couldn’t ask for better. He decided to write home about this.

795-ED4-C4-02-B5-4230-A57-C-3-FEB7-D4-E7-DC3.jpg

And so the story comes to an end with watch on wrist. The moral is, sometimes it’s always good to service a rep out of the box because sometimes it always makes things better. Good luck out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: YellowFin

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
“Always sometimes” (in the title of the thread)
”because sometimes it always makes things better” (in the txt of the post)

is it always or sometimes? You have to make up your mind

Reactions: hanski

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
“Always sometimes” (in the title of the thread)
”because sometimes it always makes things better” (in the txt of the post)

is it always or sometimes? You have to make up your mind

Darn, you got me! The one thing in the story with plot line inconsistencies. Back to uni for additional post doctorate research...

altaylar1

Known Member
23/9/20
Thanks for the post. This is exactly what I have been trying to figure out about the ones that I have ordered, whether to service asap, or wait for a while. Im still unsure ahah

Reactions: hanski

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Thanks for the post. This is exactly what I have been trying to figure out about the ones that I have ordered, whether to service asap, or wait for a while. Im still unsure ahah

Welcome! There isn’t really a hard and fast rule. With so much variety in movement type, modifications, and QC you never know what you’ve got till it’s in hand.