• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Crystal forming tarnish on the inside

replicaX

Known Member
27/12/16
Has anyone experienced this before? It is a piece from an unknown factory. It just sat in my drawer for four years unworn. I took it out recently. To my dismay, the inner surface of the crystal developed some kind of cloudy tarnish.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
It has some sort of moisture in it.
Could be from too much oil. Possibly wore it in the shower once?
Got it in the rain or whatever.

Basically, you’re either gonna need to get it serviced very soon or you can open the watch up, put it on a container with some rice or silicone moisture absorber from the many packages you buy.

Leave the case back open or if you can, take the movement and dial out completely. And put that on a movement holder and then add rice.

Depending on what movement is in it, it’s probably going to be cheaper to just buy a new movement if the rice trick doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: YellowFin

WatchesJK

Horology Curious
24/10/20
CONUS
There is a possibility of off gassing from too much lubricating oil, plastic components (if any), gasket sealants, ect. This, or moisture is the most probable cause. On one hand, a trip to a watchmaker for a service could fix that very easily. But if you want to fix it yourself, take the movement out of the case then just to be on the safe side put the open case and movement inside a container with some dry rice or silica gel packets. If moisture is the root problem that should remove the haze. If silica doesn't work then you issue is residue from off gassing material inside the watch. You should just be able to clean that off of the inside of the crystal with a soft cloth. If the problem persists then a full service or a replacement movement that's properly serviced is necessary.