• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cracked my Noob 116610 V9 ceramic bezel insert...

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Sooooo I messed up while trying to swap out my noob V9 xtal for a prof xtal and ended up cracking my bezel insert.... I didn’t realize that this version had a glued insert and apparently you don’t replace the xtal the same way as you would on a gen watch....

learned this the hard way and now I’m trying to figure out what my options are for purchasing a equal quality (or better) replacement and how to properly do this... Does a replacement insert come with double sided tape ring? Will in need to buy special glue? Etc etc...

Here’s what happened in detail and what i pieced together via experimentation:

I had a feeling this was going to go to shit when I used my bezel remover and to my surprise the bezel, xtal, restraining ring, and gasket all came out as one. I then pushed out the xtal/gasket and the retaining ring was still stuck there, the only way to remove it was to try and get the insert out... I decided against this, so I simply swapped my xtal out and used my screw press to repress the bezel back into place... during the process the bezel cracked (I even used my die with a notch cut out for the pearl...).

After spending a few hours trying to figure out what went wrong I came to this conclusion: it seems as though after removing the Noob V9 bezel the crystal and retaining ring ALWAYS come off together... the proper way to put this set back on is by following these steps:

1) place your gasket on the xtal.
2) line these up in place
3) fully remove the bezel insert - while trying to keep the glue intact.
4) place the crystal retaining ring into the bezel (from the top)
5) use a press to secure the retaining ring (and bezel) onto the xtal and gasket....
6) line up and press the insert into place with your FINGERS

Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLW77

Known Member
22/6/20
Can't offer any technical advice but don't feel too bad, the same thing happened to my watch smith on zzf v2s hulk, when he was trying to exchange crystal for prof's.

You have to source one or buy one m2m, I'd probably stick to the same model that you had to avoid lume mismatch.

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Thanks! makes me feel a bit better. Just frustrating lol might be a challenge to find a proper replacement. It’s nice to learn from mistakes though :) practice makes perfect

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] any thoughts on this... I figure you’ve probably dabbled with one of these before.

It looked so nice before I ruined it!
d537e09b8eba67ab45bc16013f909f60.jpg

07a22d63f7c23ecc6f883f92682623d8.jpg

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
I’m surprised the retainer came off with the bezel as it should be more secure on the gasket on the case (to be waterproof) than to the bezel which is connected only by the hytrel ring (which allows the bezel to turn)

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Oh the gasket came off, too... I would have just pulled the gasket and retainer off of the bezel assembly as it is only connected by the hytrel. But I understand how it might be tighter than usual if they stayed together being pried from the case.

Get a nice Clean replacement! But if your bezel assembly is the glued insert kind new inserts won’t sit correctly without a third crucial piece which sits between the insert and bezel. It’s a thin stainless steel washer. I think it’s called a spacer or a shim?

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Also, tell us about your click spring management. I know they fly out when you remove the bezel but I seem to forget every time and lose a few!!

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Oh the gasket came off, too... I would have just pulled the gasket and retainer off of the bezel assembly as it is only connected by the hytrel. But I understand how it might be tighter than usual if they stayed together being pried from the case.

Get a nice Clean replacement! But if your bezel assembly is the glued insert kind new inserts won’t sit correctly without a third crucial piece which sits between the insert and bezel. It’s a thin stainless steel washer. I think it’s called a spacer or a shim?

There was no pulling the retaining ring/crystal/gasket combo from the hytrel ring and bezel. I tried lol. What I ended up doing was removing the damaged bezel insert and then it was relatively easy to push the retaining ring up through the top of the bezel.

To reinstall everything I needed to seat the crystal and it’s gasket onto the case... then re-insert the retaining ring through the top of the bezel and press it onto the crystal (with the bezel already positioned on the hytrel ring. For some reason this bezel and hytrel ring did NOT want to be pressed onto the retaining ring lol.

I ended up finding a new Noob V9 on M2M and I’m doing a paint mod. It looks nice so far! I’m happy with it as I won’t have to mess with the washer.

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Also, tell us about your click spring management. I know they fly out when you remove the bezel but I seem to forget every time and lose a few!!

This was a pain in the ass lol. Ended up dropping the springs several times on the floor. Luckily I found them each time. My stress level would have been much lower if I had extras haha.

Reactions: d3s19n

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Been there done that, after you do it a bunch of times you’re ok. I usually stick them into tape after removed.