• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to clean movement before oiling

ShotsFired

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/19
How do you guys clean the movement before oiling? Do you disassemble it and clean the parts in batches in an ultrasonic so you can keep track of what is what? Or do you put the whole movement into an ultrasonic before disassembling it? I'm afraid to take it all apart and put the whole lot of parts into the cleaner together. I'd never sort them back out.

Any recommendations for cheap ultrasonic cleaning fluid for ETA clone movements?

alfonzo

25/7/19
I use little jam jars and segregate the parts and put them in Naptha as the solvent. Then I put the jars in the US cleaner. I use a schematic to reference when rebuilding a movement that I have not memorized.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Ultrasonic bath ….
basket-clean.jpg

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Disassemble, pegwood all the jawels, throw everything into baskets and off to ultrasonic cleaner, first step in cleaner then off to rinse with ultrasonic and then I dip it in two more rinse solutions and lastly I out it to a heating chamber that spins and dry all the parts.

Balance wheel etc I clean manually in one dip solution.

Then assembly begin. Watch movement use different oils for different things there is no one to fit all of you want to do it the correct way.

alfonzo

25/7/19
I am gonna build that bench some day! Wonderful setup. What brand Ultrasonic cleaner is that? It is slick!

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I just toss mine in the dishwasher and soak it in some bleach. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShotsFired

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/19
What fluids are best for cleaning and rinsing? I have new watches, I just want to clean off the old oil and put good stuff on.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
What fluids are best for cleaning and rinsing? I have new watches, I just want to clean off the old oil and put good stuff on.

I think everyone that does this has their own “recipe” for the chemicals they use. For beginners, I think 1 dip or whatever it’s called is the common method. You basically just dip the parts in it and it cleans off the oil.

I wish I had a ultrasonic cleaner. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk