• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT Master II - no position for winding?

Arlowf

Horology Curious
10/6/18
Okay, I’ve watched tons of videos and can not figure out how to get my watch ticking again. Bought it a year ago from a rep dealer.
It cost me 39 bucks (it was before this forum) and looked great to me.

Do you think it’s really not winding and has a battery in it or something? I can get it into position 1 by turning the bezel counter clockwise, so I can’t wind it.

70d37d89a9d65bdd07413f6b2e67d4e2.jpg
5fe06aba41a71b76b2601c7ed7098f1c.jpg

Arlowf

Horology Curious
10/6/18
Lol, dude. You’re lucky that thing lasted a year, the junk movements in those things usually die within weeks.

So it didn’t have a battery in it?
I can still set the time and date and such; it just doesn’t move. I don’t even know how to open this thing up.

Arlowf

Horology Curious
10/6/18
Make a ball of duct tape sticky side out, then use that to unscrew the back and have a look.

... just realized this was sarcasm.
Tried it, that back isn’t moving. There must be a tool for this?

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
... just realized this was sarcasm.
Tried it, that back isn’t moving. There must be a tool for this?

No, not being sarcastic. If you don’t have a oyster case back wrench then the sticky tape ball is the way to go - just press hard and turn counter clockwise

Reactions: Arlowf

Arlowf

Horology Curious
10/6/18
No, not being sarcastic. If you don’t have a oyster case back wrench then the sticky tape ball is the way to go - just press hard and turn counter clockwise

Wow. That was easy.

It takes a 377A battery and I’ve seen fancier movements in a Casio and timex lol.

I’m going to put a new $2.00 battery in it and keep wearing it.

Reactions: Hor-Fan

Arlowf

Horology Curious
10/6/18
Working great now; ticking right along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
are you sitting on the toilet when you took that first picture lol
and you are honestly trying to tell us that it took you one year to figure out that you can't wind your watch because it has a quartz movement

awesome story lol

enjoy wearing and don't forget to wind occasionally (aahhem, replace battery that is)

Reactions: Rx4Time

Arlowf

Horology Curious
10/6/18
are you sitting on the toilet when you took that first picture lol
and you are honestly trying to tell us that it took you one year to figure out that you can't wind your watch because it has a quartz movement

awesome story lol

enjoy wearing and don't forget to wind occasionally (aahhem, replace battery that is)

Yeah man I didn’t even know about winding. I’m not/was not a watch guy; I’ve learned a lot in the past month.
I wasn’t sitting on the toilet but I was sitting in my office with shoes off lol.

Watch is working great now.

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
Yeah man I didn’t even know about winding. I’m not/was not a watch guy; I’ve learned a lot in the past month.
I wasn’t sitting on the toilet but I was sitting in my office with shoes off lol.

Watch is working great now.

great that it does work fine and even better that you enjoy it as it is and don't give a sh... what anyone else thinks about it

regarding the toilet thing .. just looked like it and I'm kind of jealous about the place you work at where you can wear shorts and take shoes off (maybe your own business lol)

tony5haw2013

10/8/19
malta
Just read this and I love this guy, wears s 30 dollar quartz Rolex and gives no f**cks at all haha.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk