• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Winding a watch continuously or not?

TimosL

24/12/18
Athens, Greece
What is better, to wind an unworn watch to have it keeping the time continuously or to leave it to stop and wind it again when it is it's time to be worn?

I ask from the point of the movement preservation.

dealerclocks

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
19/7/18
As with any moving parts, the more they move, the faster they wear. So keeping a watch running whether via a watch winder or manually, will definitely speed up wear and tear.

A long-time myth is that leaving watches not running will cause coagulation and breaking down of lubricants. This is entirely untrue as the synthetic lubricants in watches do not deteriorate from lack of movement. The only benefit of keeping it wound is not having to set the time and date again.

In short, keep it wound only when you need it.

Reactions: p0pperini and JOP

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
As with any moving parts, the more they move, the faster they wear. So keeping a watch running whether via a watch winder or manually, will definitely speed up wear and tear.

A long-time myth is that leaving watches not running will cause coagulation and breaking down of lubricants. This is entirely untrue as the synthetic lubricants in watches do not deteriorate from lack of movement. The only benefit of keeping it wound is not having to set the time and date again.

Now there’s something new for me.
I was always led to believe it was better if the watch would be kept running. Indeed for the lubricant but also regulation wise.

I understand a running watch will wear faster. But I thought it would be marginal compared to the benefits of keeping it running.

dealerclocks

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
19/7/18
Now there’s something new for me.
I was always led to believe it was better if the watch would be kept running. Indeed for the lubricant but also regulation wise.

I understand a running watch will wear faster. But I thought it would be marginal compared to the benefits of keeping it running.

You are not wrong technically, back in the day when non-synthetic lubricants were used, the chance of lubricant coagulation is there. But with synthetic oils used nowadays, that is no longer a danger.

Reactions: TBK

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
As with any moving parts, the more they move, the faster they wear.

I agree with this statement. But winding continuously vs setting when worn might cause other issues. It all depends.

For example, lets say a wearer wears one of his watches every Wednesday and Sunday. The watch has only 24H reserve. That means he has to advance date twice a week manually. This will put more wear on the manual set mechanism as compared to winding it continuously. The manual set mechanism would be more fragile than auto set, from my limited experience. So it is best to wind continuously, or better, keep on winder. This is more true for the more complicated watches like GMT or day/date or full calendar.

dealerclocks

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
19/7/18
I agree with this statement. But winding continuously vs setting when worn might cause other issues. It all depends.

For example, lets say a wearer wears one of his watches every Wednesday and Sunday. The watch has only 24H reserve. That means he has to advance date twice a week manually. This will put more wear on the manual set mechanism as compared to winding it continuously. The manual set mechanism would be more fragile than auto set, from my limited experience. So it is best to wind continuously, or better, keep on winder. This is more true for the more complicated watches like GMT or day/date or full calendar.

Yes thanks for pointing this out! This is also true, especially for the complicated movements. Dramatic failures can happen during manual setting if you are not gentle, and also even when you are.

All in all though, if properly serviced, these movements should still last years, barring manufacturing defects and external damage. It is extremely rare to see a watch break down from running on a watch winder for too long. If it happens, it's usually because it wasn't serviced in a timely fashion. So if you think you would like the beauty and convenience of one, just go ahead and buy one. Just know that it is not necessary.
And that's the good thing about reps. By the time it breaks down, you might as well shop for a new watch from us anyways :p (shameless advertising right here)

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

rog1079

Horology Curious
18/8/12

That’s not a myth. You are 100% wrong. I just had my 6 year old GEN Daytona sit for an extended period (working fine and running -2 seconds a day) and when I went to set it, winding the crown did nothing. I figured broken spring but when RSC inspected it, the lubrications had dried out from sitting. You are spreading misinformation as RSC confirmed no springs were broken when opened and confirmed the lubrications had dried out from sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro