• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sub 116610ln wrong hand positioning

Pjeter63

Known Member
11/12/18
Hello,
I got the AR 116610ln a few months ago.
After a few days I realized that the hands are wrongly placed.
I mean, when the hour hand is on 7 am as example, the minute hand is already at 15min after 7 am.
Can someone tell me, if its possible to fix that problem.
Cheers,
Pjeter

Sent from the RWI App

stretcherfetcher

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/6/19
Would have to de-case the movement, pull it out, set the time to 12/00, remove the hands. Then place the hour hand at 12/00, minute at 12/00, second at 12/00. Re-case the movement, and install stem/ crown, and check your work. Easy and quick job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobo383

bobo383

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/6/19
Would have to de-case the movement, pull it out, set the time to 12/00, remove the hands. Then place the hour hand at 12/00, minute at 12/00, second at 12/00. Re-case the movement, and install stem/ crown, and check your work. Easy and quick job.

It’s only difficult the first time because you’re apprehensive about it. After that, easy-peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Mikencapo

stretcherfetcher

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/6/19
It’s only difficult the first time because you’re apprehensive about it. After that, easy-peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just remeber when pressing hands be gently but firm. Dont need to bend them.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
Need a hand removal tool. If you want, cover your dial with plastic to protect. Use rodico to hold the hands and plastic tip tool to press. Compressed air can can get rid of all dust before you reassemble

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’d just like to add a note of caution here... Removing and replacing hands has been the single most difficult task I’ve undertaken since getting into this hobby.

I destroyed the first two seconds hand pinions I attempted to remove the hand from. The first one broke off because I followed a YouTube guide that showed how to remove all 3 hands at the same time. Don’t do that. The 2nd one broke because, well, it’s bloody difficult to do it right. But since then I’ve got my eye in and have removed 3 more without a problem.

Then there’s getting it back on again. Bear in mind that the seconds pinion is about the thickness of a hair, and you have to balance the “collar” of the seconds hand on it then push it on... It’s by far the fiddliest thing I have ever done!

Don’t let me put you off... I’m just saying, it’s not an easy job - particularly if you’re a clumsy, glasses-wearing oaf like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Need a hand removal tool. If you want, cover your dial with plastic to protect. Use rodico to hold the hands and plastic tip tool to press. Compressed air can can get rid of all dust before you reassemble

There are some different hand removal tools. I prefer the ones that look like they have two tiny shovels at the end. I’ve also got the “puller” tool, and find that okay for minute and hour hands.

DEFINITELY use something to protect the dial - a thin sheet of plastic or a Bergeon protector. Dials are easily damaged (I’ve done that too!).

I have a set of metal pressers that are flat and held horizontally which I prefer to using the pen-like plastic pushers.

It’s a good idea to get some cheap hands an a couple of cheap movements from eBay and practice.

d3s19n

Renowned Member
12/6/18
n0bby I agree OP should definitely practice with a bunch of cheaper parts... it’s the only way to get good at it

Cully

Renowned Member
29/5/18
UK
One of my first reps had the same issue, before I was brave enough to tackle it myself , my local watch battery/shoe repair shop fixed it for me for less than a tenner and showed me the process.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I’d just like to add a note of caution here... Removing and replacing hands has been the single most difficult task I’ve undertaken since getting into this hobby.

I destroyed the first two seconds hand pinions I attempted to remove the hand from. The first one broke off because I followed a YouTube guide that showed how to remove all 3 hands at the same time. Don’t do that. The 2nd one broke because, well, it’s bloody difficult to do it right. But since then I’ve got my eye in and have removed 3 more without a problem.

Then there’s getting it back on again. Bear in mind that the seconds pinion is about the thickness of a hair, and you have to balance the “collar” of the seconds hand on it then push it on... It’s by far the fiddliest thing I have ever done!

Don’t let me put you off... I’m just saying, it’s not an easy job - particularly if you’re a clumsy, glasses-wearing oaf like me.

It really depends on the movement. For example 2813s have extremely thin second hand pinions. They break with barely a twitch while removing or installing.
A28** movements are a bit thicker.

If you want to tackle this without hand removal tools, the only option here would be to take the movement out. Get a sheet of plastic. Cut a slot in the plastic to go under the hands, release the dial feet and just pull the dial straight up. You just have to be extremely careful. Just make sure the plastic is under the hands. The hour and min hands should pop off without any issues. The second hand is the one you have to be very careful with.

Another option that could possibly work (it has worked for me in the past but only did it once). Just pop the crystal off or take the movement out. Secure it in a movement holder. Put the stem in the hand setting position. Hold the crown steady and with a toothpick or a small piece of plastic (tip of a dental floss pick or anything that will not scratch ) and just slowly push the min hand back. Make sure the stem is firmly held in place tho. The hand should slide to the position you set it to but this is as risky as the other options tho. You could possibly damage the mind hand wheel if not done perfectly.

If you have the correct tools and sort of know what you’re doing, it’s a easy fix.

Good luck bc that would drive me nuts.

Pjeter63

Known Member
11/12/18
Thanks for all the replys.
I have another problem with this watch. Some of the bezel markings are damaged. By that I mean the paint is damaged.
Is it possible that the soup did it?
It is just the 50 und two other markings. The rest looks untouched.
Is there anyway to repaint it or should I buy a new bezel?
Where can I get a fitting bezel for the ARF 116610ln a2824?

Last edited:

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Thanks for all the replys.
I have another problem with this watch. Some of the bezel markings are damaged. By that I mean the paint is damaged.
Is it possible that the soup did it?
It is just the 50 und two other markings. The rest looks untouched.
Is there anyway to repaint it or should I buy a new bezel?
Where can I get a fitting bezel for the ARF 116610ln a2824?

Time for a paint mod