• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Water resistance and proofing

the_don_robinson

20/4/12
Hi gang.... I have never had any of my reps waterproofed by a modder. Generally if I'm using a watch in anger il take a steinhart or the like... anyway considering getting one or two done and just wondered if any particular models were especially good . Thinking about a high end rep Tudor or Rolex or the pams (have several)

Wondered if any rep brands lent themselves to it better than others? E.g. Rolex easier to proof than pam. Or noob easier to do than arf or the like

Thoughts ?

In one way being able to improve water resistance / proof talks to the actual build quality rather than the rep / accuracy quality

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

I envision something like this.....

angry1bf0833cd9d733f0.gif

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ha I meant like going to the beach or for a swim

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Answer what I believe you're asking, most watches I've purchased that are divers have passed water resistance testing to at least three atmospheres if not more. There's not one brand that I found superior. I've had and tested noob, jf, ARF, h factory, DSN, OMF, TC, wm9, etc. As far as the brands they're replicas of, I've tested Rolex Omega panerai, breitling, tag Heuer, AP, etc And all have passed. The best advice is to buy a diaper style one that is considered a high quality or superrep and have it tested locally before swimming. Generally speaking Rolex has the most aftermarket parts available, should you need to purchase something such as a gasket.

Reactions: the_don_robinson

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
id be hesitant to take a chrono diver rep in the water due to the pushers

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I'm curious about this as well. I have a noob RLSD that is about a month old. I know they're said to be waterproofed but advised not to take in th water.

Before this watch, I had a cheaper 316L RLSD that I took swimming all the time. Nothing to really test its limits but a dive in a pool or the ocean.

Is it generally pretty safe to take a new noob in the water for a quick (shallow) dive or should it definitely be pressure tested?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Eta: I've been tempted to start a thread on this very subject but considering there's one here, I hate to clutter the board.

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
There's a tuto on the forum (don't have the link) about how to build a DIY tester.
It proved to work very well and I've tested some of my watches to 5 ATM or more.
All you need is a new crystal gasket, a crystal press and Seiko grease for the o-rings ... I've even tested the 16800 I've built for my son up to 6 ATM (the limit of my DIY tester).

Envoyé de mon moto g(7) power en utilisant Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
My TC was pressure tested to 40 ATM by misiekiped when he did work on it, and my 299 passed 10 ATM recently. Too many variables. Some will perform as good as the genuine, others can't pass even 3 atm. No way to know until you test them.

Last edited: