• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2824 hard to wind manually, is this normal?

Ginney91

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/18
Hi all, my 2824 movement I've just received is particularly hard to wind (compared with a 2813 I have and some gens)

Is this normal. I'd say it's actually quite stiff although it does wind. Would a service sort this out?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Definitely have it inspected/serviced, it shouldn’t be difficult to wind, probably needs cleaning & lube.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
No, it should be smooth and light to wind via crown. I had this recently on my AP v7 diver. Swapped in an ETA and buttery smooth now. Odds are the keyless is dry, but a movement service costs about $120-150 and a new ETA 2824 costs $170 plus installation. The cost difference vs long term reliability makes it not really worth servicing the clone.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
….depends on what you mean by "hard to wind" … As long as the process is smooth, you should be OK . . . If it's not smooth .. STOP!!! .. I've got several watches that offer "resistance" when I manually wind them, but they are smooth as butter. If you are still unsure, have someone that knows what they're looking at check out the movement.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Does the rotor spin when you handwind it? If so, stop hand winding it ASAP. That means the reversing wheels are stuck and you’re manually forcing those tiny gears to push through the resistance.

Does it slip after a wind or 2? That could be a keyless issue or it could be the crown slipping on the stem as well. One of my watches do this and I’m pretty sure it’s the crown slipping since I’ve checked everything else. I just don’t hand wind it any more.

Automatic watches should not really be hand wound. Just give it a few shakes and you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc1221

30/4/14
Compared to a 2813, it will be harder to wind. 2813s wind like there’s nothing pushing back.

Now, if it takes a quite of bit of force to wind it, that’s not normal and I would not manually wind them. The teeth on that driving wheel are tiny and they can break easily.

If it is slipping (which does happen a lot of times), that’s not much of a big deal imo as long as its automatic. I rarely hand wind automatic watches. Just give it a few shakes to get it going and set it.

Slipping can be a number of things. From the winding gears, reversing wheels and even the crown itself. It happens but it’s rarely an issue that can cause further problems.

Alephpark

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/1/17
When you manually wind, does the rotor spin around and make a lot of sound?

I think your reverse wheels may need lubricating

bc1221

30/4/14
Yea... let’s put rodeco all over the gear teeth! Lol.

His driving wheel was fine but def check all of the teeth on that wheel. Those break like glass with a little bit of pressure.