• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rotor wobble 2824

Streetiq

3/11/16
Hi All ,

i recently purchased a new rep from my TD with asian 2824 .
all well and keeps good time, only issue is that when i move my hand i hear the rotor shaking in a weird way (shaking, not spinning)

oppened the case back and the attached video seems to explain my situation.
when i press down the edge of the rotor it moves up and down.. seems like it has clearence which make the noise (the screw is well closed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-MC4TKp84&feature=youtu.be

now, i like to hear your opinion guys,

1. do you think it is something a TD should spot in QC and inform me about ? or is it too common with the asian clones ? what would your TD do ?

2. do you think if i use the rep rotor i have but replace only the bearing to gen ETA bearing, the problem will be solved?

i found this listing from past posts here on RWI
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ETA-2824-2...270448&hash=item361978b023:g:d3QAAOSw7GRZLw8W

3. do you recomend replacing the whole rotor to a gen one instead of messing with the current one ? if so, does anyone has a source for gen fitting rotor ?

4. will a new rep rottor make the work ?

thank you !!

ThomasaurusRex

Horology Curious
21/8/17
I had this exact issue with a seiko 5 and simply tightening the rotor securing screw in the center of the rotor did the trick!

Give that a go first before you take any larger approaches

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Streetiq

Streetiq

3/11/16
Thanks man, Yes I already did it but it didn't help.
I ended up buying Gen 2824 bearings, only the bearing and I found a Smith that is willing to replace only the bearing,
Will update in the future

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ThomasaurusRex

jerms81

Certified
29/7/12
USA, Texas
I had the same issue and contacted vac and got anETA rotor and bearing and it solved the issue.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I think you'll have to replace the rotor as well as they are press fit. Personally, I wouldn't waste time to repairing it, I would just install a new ETA 2824 and wash my hands of the whole aggravation

Streetiq

3/11/16
Thank you guys, well where do I find a complete Gen rotor?
All on ebay seems to be Rep

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
you dont need a gen rotor, sometimes its the bearings on the rotor, and if that doesnt work change the entire auto wind assembly