• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quartz omega stopped

SikRipAndPanic

The answer is yes but what was the question
7/2/17
London / Essex Area
Hi all,
I have a quartz bullhead Rio version (M2M purchase) that has stopped. I have had the battery replaced and it worked for while (insure how long as it went straight into the watch box).
But now it’s dead. I’m thinking possible duff battery. I will take it back and get another put in but if this proves futile what are my options on repair or possible cheers for a movement swap. I like the watch so would like to keep it. But at the moment it’s a paperweight.

Cheers

Help is but a phone call away
Anybody know the number?

Reactions: Kieran1B

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Batteries rarely fail if it's a quality batt. First thing is it needs to go on a tester to see if it has a heartbeat (ie: if the coil is pulsing). If not dead coil or circuit and if it is there is a mechanical issue. In that case it may just need a whizz on a quartz driver to free up the movement or it may need a service and clean. I'm not sure what MVT is in those so I'm not sure how serviceable they are or if a new MVT is available. Can you post a pic of the caseback please? Quote my post when you do so I see it, rather busy.

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Disclaimer : the following comment isn't useful for the thread...
Wow, I didn't know that the Bullhead Rio was repped... where may I buy it? Anybody would like to sell it?

Back on topic:
It could be something that drains too much current from the battery discharging it...
Usually the reps use popular quartz... I don't think it will be a problem replacing it (who repairs cheap quartz?)

SikRipAndPanic

7/2/17
London / Essex Area
I got mine through M2M I’ve only seen the Rio version in rep form and also only quartz. I’m still trying to work out how to post pictures

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

SikRipAndPanic

7/2/17
London / Essex Area
Hoping that works strange thing is it is working but was 6 hrs out in 24hrs also the chrono works

SikRipAndPanic

7/2/17
London / Essex Area
Ok so while the back was off I blasted the movement with an air duster I reset the time and it’s now (albeit only and hour and a half since) keeping up with another quartz I set it up to. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. At least I learnt how to post a picture on the forum. Nice

SikRipAndPanic

7/2/17
London / Essex Area
For those of you that care this is now working fine perfectly in time with the other quartz. So I’m thinking a bit of **** got in it when the lad on the market changed the battery and the jet of air shifted it. Either way it’s working and I can now stop explaining to people why I have a watch on each wrist.

SikRipAndPanic

7/2/17
London / Essex Area
Set the time last night again and put it in the watch box and it’s working again.
New movement required me thinks

JDnTexas

Known Member
20/11/17
Mate it's a VK6-3a which is available and cheap. The MVT is $26 on eBay: [video]https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-JAPAN-VK-SERIES-VK63A-VK63-quartz-chronograph-movement-NEW-/322328866070[/video]

Nice find that’s a cheap fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SikRipAndPanic

7/2/17
London / Essex Area
I’ll let you know how I get on with it but I opened it up again the other night took the movement out and gave it a good blasting put it back in and it’s been running perfectly since Thursday night so put it in the box this afternoon and just gone to put the box away and it’s bloody stopped again. So I’m going to have a crack at the movement swap when I have time. I have a couple of new pieces incoming so they will keep me happy for a while