• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

7750 subdials not needed - what to do?

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Hi, I need to "remove" 6 and 12 "subdial pins" from standard 7750 (it is called 7750-p1) to be able to fit on top of it dial with no 6 and 12 subdials. One option is to remove the chrono functionality from the 7750 (I guess removing the right pinions / wheels will do the trick). On the other hand there is no issue to have the chrono still there and just to "cut" the pins of the 6 and 12 subdials which are blocking the dial from attaching it to the 7750 movement (PAM1312 dial).

Is it a completely crazy idea to just cut or sand the tips of the 6 and 12 pins so that they don't go up from the 7750 movement and I can fit dial which has just 9 subdial?
jxuMRQ.jpg

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I have done a similar thing with a 6497 movement, which has a second subdial pin at 9 o'clock that I did not need for a PAM build with only 2 hands (hour and minute). So I clipped it.

I am reluctant to give advice here because I am not a pro, just tinkering around a bit with my watches: So... not sure if there is a more professional approach for the 7750 movement, but clipping the pins should definitely be the "quick and dirty" option. Just make sure that the remaining pin is long enough to sit correctly in its pivot hole, but ideally short enough to not touch the dial from underneath.

vcelkama

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
14/10/21
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking about now :) To clip the pins with cutting nippers. There are 3 things I'm afraid of doing it:
1. Too be able to cut it low enough so that no sanding needed
2. Force / friction caused by the nippers to the pinion while cutting the pin ("deformation", de-axing etc.)
3. Small particles falling into the watch movement (eg the cut tip of the pin (I can probably pu some foil over the movement while cutting the pin
I'm waiting for my 7750 movement to arrive and will give it a try then :)

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking about now :) To clip the pins with cutting nippers. There are 3 things I'm afraid of doing it:
1. Too be able to cut it low enough so that no sanding needed
2. Force / friction caused by the nippers to the pinion while cutting the pin ("deformation", de-axing etc.)
3. Small particles falling into the watch movement (eg the cut tip of the pin (I can probably pu some foil over the movement while cutting the pin
I'm waiting for my 7750 movement to arrive and will give it a try then :)

I removed the whole seconds wheel to clip it (and was still afraid to bend it in the process), but it is a lot easier with a 6497 movement.

It is more difficult with the more complex 7750 movement. I would not recommend it unless you have the proper tools, steady hands and a decent technical knowledge base :)

Davne25

Supporter // Watchaddict
23/3/17
Germany
Yeah removing the wheels and clipping the pins would require some watchmaking skills since the 7750 is not a beginner movement to work on. In your case i would carefully clip them from outside and cover the movement with a straight sheet of paper, this way you will most likely find the clipped off pin and also find the correct height if cutting directly above the paper.

If you want to use the full function of the movement in the future you can buy those wheels as spare parts but then you need to take it apart obviously

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Reactions: Plaasbaas