• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Rolex Folded Link Bracelet - Sizing?

Emsflyer84

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Hey all, just grabbed a BP Explorer II 1655 "Steve McQueen" and it's awesome. Problem is, I'm totally lost on how the bracelet is sized. It's a vintage Rolex style folded link bracelet with no obvious way to remove the links. The Rolex forums talk about these a bit (Gen obviously), and they say you need to actually pry the links open and remove the center pieces, then remove the links and "hammer" the folds back down and into place. The links on this bracelet are folded so tight I can't even get anything under them to pry them open. And honestly I'm a little afraid to do it. Anyone got one of these old style bracelets that they've sized before? Thanks!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Yes, they're absolutely horrible. You can pry them apart though. When I did one, I used a Stanley knife blade to get under the link centre join and start prising it up. But it's impossible to do it without distorting the visible side of the links to some extent, because the force needed to bend the folded inner flaps is quite considerable. I mean, I'm sure someone with experience can do a good job of it, but personally I really hope to never have to do it again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Emsflyer84

Emsflyer84

Horology Curious
12/5/20
Yes, they're absolutely horrible. You can pry them apart though. When I did one, I used a Stanley knife blade to get under the link centre join and start prising it up. But it's impossible to do it without distorting the visible side of the links to some extent, because the force needed to bend the folded inner flaps is quite considerable. I mean, I'm sure someone with experience can do a good job of it, but personally I really hope to never have to do it again...

Good thing this watch looks so good on a vintage tropic rubber strap!

I'll mess with the bracelet. Since I can't wear it without re-sizing it anyway, worst that can happen is the screw up the bracelet and then I'm no worse off then I am now I suppose....

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I'll mess with the bracelet. Since I can't wear it without re-sizing it anyway, worst that can happen is the screw up the bracelet and then I'm no worse off then I am now I suppose....
This was exactly my own thought process too. As it was, I got away with a bracelet that looks ropy on the inside when you stop and look at it, and looks a little bit ropy on the outside when you really look closely. Given that it's meant to be about 50 years old, I don't lose any sleep over it.

Reactions: Emsflyer84