• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strap broken after 3 wears on tag carerra caliber 1887 from trusty

biggiemollz

Looking Around
30/6/19
Hi friends,

I’m hoping someone can point me to the next step in fiximy this little snafu. I bought my husband a Tag Carerra Calibre 1887 with a leather band for his birthday. He knows it’s a rep and loves it. He’s worn it about 3 times, and today it caught on a doorway and the area where it connects to the watch wth the pin ripped right through the leather and there whole strap disconnected and is useless on the one side. Here I’ll attach photos of the damage, although it’s tough to see. https://imgur.com/gallery/oBDC8NU. I guess my question is, do I order a new band? Request a replacement? I’m not thrilled at the quality of the first one obviously so maybe a metal band? All help greatly appreciated!

Madcap

Known Member
2/10/17
Just order any 22mm leather strap it shld fit. Alternately look at some of the RWI strapmakers to replicate a similar style strap. I mainly use ziczac leather, and he operates out of Vietnam

Reactions: Jammydodger79

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I don't see why the seller should replace a band because your husband walked into a door - a gen band would have probably broken in the same way.

If you want to use the clasp from the old band on the new, then you'll have to order a band specifically for that type of clasp, other wise any 22 mm wide band will fit.

Google results for Tag bands:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=x-...hUKEwj5jOa2yKLkAhWC4IUKHWKFCWAQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Chinese rep makers economise on the bands, spending $50 or so will get you something that makes the watch feel and look better - cheap bands look like cheap bands.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

Jammydodger79

15/10/18
Doesn't really matter how many times the watch was worn.
The damage was caused by for want of a better term misuse.
The dealer holds no liability here IMO.
As others have said, the leather bracelet supplied with most reps is not of the best quality.
Changing to a good quality leather strap can have a transformative effect on even the best reps.

Buy a new 22mm strap and I hope your husband continues to enjoy his watch.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Rep straps are notoriously terrible...just google a nice leather strap that would suit as trip has suggested. I can’t recognise the model but looks like a Carrera rose gold 41mm grey sunburst so brown or black crocodile would go nicely.