• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz (all colors)

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I purchased these watches for review purposes to determine their quality as a good option for a daily beater and to check their accuracy to the genuine as they would provide a nice low cost accurate option for those easing themselves into this hobby slowly and dont mind a Quartz movement (supposed ETA).
The price tag on these will be $80 + shipping..

Completely hi-jacked from TAG's site: “Fernando Alonso, the Formula 1 double World Champion and driver for the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team, has participated in the design of this new chronograph that reflects his relaxed, sporting image. A symbol of robustness and strength, the New TAG Heuer Formula 1 series has been reinterpreted with greater purity of lines and an extraordinary attention to detail.†blah blah blah.. so you now the background now.. lol.. moving on..

tag_f1023.jpg

tag_f1016.jpg

tag_f1034.jpg

Most people would think you were I were lying if I told you that this model weighs more than a Panerai 111 on a leather strap. It's true It's true! Took a photo just to prove it.

This rep comes in at 140.1 grams so it is not a light weight by any means.
Below are some popular mechanical watches so you know how it compares.
Breitling Skyland (on bracelet) = 237.8 grams
IWC Cousteau'07 (on rubber)= 152.3 grams
TAG Heuer Formula 1 (on bracelet)= 140.1 grams
Panerai 111H (on leather) = 130.5 grams

tag_f1038.jpg

Some quick measurements that are worth noting about this watch.
Lug Size = 20mm
Bracelet = 20mm which tapers to 18mm at the clasp.
Case w/out crown = 41mm
Case to crown = 45mm
Case back to Crystal = 12.7mm

tag_f1026.jpg

tag_f1024.jpg

tag_f1012.jpg

My feeling is that the rep factories came really close to the reproducing the dial colors for this model. I think the Orange dial is just a hint lighter than the genuine but it is hard to determine without having them side by side. It is a decent representation of the genuine although it would be better if the dial fonts and logo were crisper.

tag_f1030.jpg

tag_f1029.jpg

The Red and Black Dials are very nice but my favorite color is the White Dial.
I think it is the classiest of the 4 dials available and really looks nice on the wrist.
I am happy that they paid attention to the sub-dial hands matching them to the color of the dial (on the Red and Orange models) and silver for the white and black dials.

tag_f1033.jpg

tag_f1035.jpg

tag_f1006.jpg

tag_f1005.jpg

I made a special trip to the local shopping mall just so I could try on this model so I could get a feel for the bracelet, crown, crown guards and chrono pushers. As expected, the crown, crown guard and chrono pushers are not spot on and the machining of them could be better from the replica factory as they do not feel as nice as the genuine, sub-par in my opinion but well above chincy.

tag_f1010.jpg

The bracelet and clasp are similar although the bracelet is nicer than the clasp when compared to the genuine. Both the genuine and the replica bracelet do not feel heavy duty like you would find with the Breitling Skyland, they are light weight and disappointing to say the least but that is not to say that the replica bracelet does not represent the genuine well. It is not spot on but it is close to the genuine.

tag_f1009.jpg

I did not review the case back because I do not have my spring bar tool and I could not get a good shot of it.

donnay458

1/1/08
thanks for the info. i was thinking of getting this rep. now my decsion is made easier. i too like the white dial, still indecided if i want strap or bracelet.

all good things! :)

exeekias

24/11/08
Nice review, that's a sharp looking rep :)
One question: is the black color on the bezel done with paint, or something more durable?
The gen I guess has a titanium carbide coating on the bezel.
If it's painted on the rep I can see it wearing off quickly.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I am not sure.. but I'm positive it is not that kryptonite coated super duper strong stuff.. but a little better than paint I think

RayBelCons

4/12/08
Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
excellent review.
excellent pixs.
most excellent posting.
This is the standard I will try for when I do my first review.
Again, great stuff!

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I'm selling these review watches... I have black, white and red available.. in the US available to whomever wants it.
$80 and $7 for priority mail. If outside US, they'll be drop shipped for the normal $25 EMS.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

I´m getting more and more interested in this watch, but the biggest innacuracy for me is that on the REP, the smaller subdials are white, while on the GEN - as I could check on the AD - they´re very silver:
tag.jpg
TAG-F1whitecopy.jpg

It REALLY gives away the tell from outerspace...
:?

I have been to the AD last week and had the opportunity to check the colors out too, and personally got intereested in the white face F1 too, the orange and the red are too much for me..
But what called my attention on the AD, were the TAG F1 non-chrono. These are really simple and beautiful, I´d like to have both, chrono and non-chrono.
tag%20heuer.jpg

Cheers,
Spirit.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

@ Alviando:
Yeah, I think the black is nice too, but somehow it doesn´t fit the watch as much as the white one does...
TAG-F1whitecopy.jpg

...Actually, considering the xtreme enviroment that Formula 1 is, plus the idea of speed, and motorsports, I think even the red one fits very nicely the idea, but it´s not discreet enough for me >_o
Anyway, the Black Dial version would probably solve the issue of the silver/white subdials, as on the black version they´re black too...Any other innaccuracy spotted?

And can I ask you why do you always write SPRIT instead of SPIRIT?
:roll:

@ D4M:
Do these come with sapphire Crystal? ...I´m considering getting one...
:D

Cheers,
Spirit.

mojako

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/11/08
Amazing review and pix.

The watch looks really good. How much does it cost and what is the size of the strap?

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
These have sapphire crystals

Cost is $80 , size of the strap? My guess is they will fit an 8 inch wrist

mojako

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/11/08
thanks for the reply D4M!

Sorry, what i meant was, whats the lug size of the strap? 20mm?

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
mojako said:
thanks for the reply D4M!

Sorry, what i meant was, whats the lug size of the strap? 20mm?

Not only did I mention it in the review.. I took a big picture for you..

tag_f1024.jpg

kitersoze

26/11/08
d4m, this rep isn't fr me personally, but MAN i love what you do for this forum, the rep culture, and for the lucky members that get to immerse themselves into this hobby with confidence, ease, and realistic objectives. and yr pics!, yr pics always make me feel like something's wrong w/ me when i don't personally want the watch you're showing!!

cheers! :D

Reactions: stuintheuk

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Thanks KZ,

Only color left (in my hands) is the Red Dial,, but everything else available on my site..

exeekias

24/11/08
I bought the black one off d4m and got it today.
It is really quite a nice watch for a great price.
It feels pretty light and comfortable on the wrist, and looks good imo.

A few things to add to the review:
-The subdial at 2 o'clock seems to measure 10ths of seconds when you stop the chrono hand.
-The chrono hands move all the way around the dial to the top when you reset them. Neat!
-The lume is decent but not spectacular. The lume dots at 2,5,7, & 10 are faux; I don't know if the gen ones are as well.
-The bezel feels like it might be made of or coated with ABS plastic, so I'm thinking it should be durable and won't show wear too easily.

Also, there were some smudges or glue or something on the dial I wanted to remove on mine,
so I opened the case and lubed the gasket while I was at it.

Here's a photo of the movement, it looks to be an ETA G10.711 inside.
Either that, or someone has bothered to fake an ETA quartz movement and engraved it with ETA markings:
tagF1movt.jpg