• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Age Old Asian 2836 vs Swiss 2836 Topic

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
This question has been asked a billion times. Answer is always some mix of "Swiss is better but only if new, and the ones you get in reps are always used, so save yourself the money and buy the new Asian 2836 and when it breaks drop in a Swiss 2836"

There are a ton of unanswered questions I have regarding this.

Where can one get a new, sealed Swiss 2836? Can you get it through a watchsmith? How often do Watchsmith's turn down reps in their shops? How do we really know that they're used? Are the Asian 2836's really that bad?

edit: if this belongs here lmk

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
That's not really a ton of questions you have there, but you're certainly making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

If you want a 'sealed' Swiss ETA then it's probably best to purchase directly from the manufacturer. Otherwise there are many resellers on the internet - eBay, specialized watch part suppliers etc.
A watch maker can supply a Swiss movement, but you'll probably pay a premium for it.
Statistically watchmakers turn down reps in their shops 69.5% of the time during the summer months and 82% of the time during the winter months. There are no reliable statistics available for the spring months.
If you're referring to used movements in reps, any watchmaker that dismantles one will be able to see if the movement is used or not. In the past factories used to add gen parts to clone movements and sell them as Swiss ETA. We know that they are often used/ a mish-mash of parts because people have seen this for themselves and then created a thread/post on the subject.
Asian clones are generally OK movements, there is nothing wrong with having a clone in a watch. It will keep good time and last several years but will still need to be serviced, just like a Swiss ETA.

Reactions: Watch-a-say

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Some Asian ETA clones run quite well, depending on the manufacturer. Besides ETA, you can also look for a Sellita SW220 which is compatible to the 2836 and equally reliable.

Reactions: mucked

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
+1
With a good servicing asian clones can run very well for years.

Ex: Tudor BB58 running under A2824 with very good performance

Sd5BW.jpg

The main problem with clones is working conditions in factories. Environments are rarely sterile (clean), this results in the presence of debris into movements which can cause damages.
But parts are generally made of good quality, so it will last with a regular servicing.

Last edited:
Reactions: mucked

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
+1
With a good servicing asian clones can run very well for years.

The main problem with clones is working conditions in factories. Environments are rarely sterile (clean), this results in the presence of debris into movements which can cause damages.
But parts are generally made of good quality, so it will last with a regular servicing.

Is it difficult to get reps serviced locally? Am I better off sending it out after I receive the item?

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
Is it difficult to get reps serviced locally? Am I better off sending it out after I receive the item?

It depends on where you live.

There is a modders/watchmakers section on the forum. Take a look: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

You can wait a failure or get it serviced right away at delivery. It's up to you to decide.
Nevertheless, I would quote the watchmaker Oascom: "It's always better to service your new replica"

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
It depends on where you live.

There is a modders/watchmakers section on the forum. Take a look: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/watchmakers-and-horologists

You can wait a failure or get it serviced right away at delivery. It's up to you to decide.
Nevertheless, I would quote the watchmaker Oascom: "It's always better to service your new replica"

Yeah I definitely want to bring it in ASAP...I have no doubts that failing to do this will result in even more of a headache down the line. Thanks for the link.