• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Real deal or fake? blue dial DJ

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Hey all!
Been wondering if this Datejust is Gen or not?
Been offerd this watch for what i believe is a reasonable price... 1500$ the watch looks pretty beat up , seeing the cyclops has a spot on it. With my not so trained eye i believe this to be a gen DJ, i would appreciate on others expert opinion !
thanks in advance,
stay safe!

https://imgur.com/a/kqnEM84

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Going to need more then one low res picture. 1500 is below movement value, let alone the whole watch, so I'd be very doubtful.

Reactions: Supra87

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Thank your for your reply! This is the best picture i can get for now , i asked 3 times, and this is the best one ... trust me haha. I have been eye balling this watch for a long time , mom’s friend. Long story short, i saw the watch in person numerous times,her sister took this watch to sell it abroad , so she asked for pics,
Her ex husband gave into her a long time ago, and she could care less about the watch, these are the first 2 pics i got,
https://imgur.com/a/LV2Yysk

https://imgur.com/a/syNDcBv

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Thnx for taking your time! I also believe its gen, has the T swiss T so think its a late 70’s early 80’s 1603 , not an expert on this model rolex ( correct me if i am wrong) going to do my best to get more pictures that are better!

thnx again,

cheers

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Even though the picture quality is deplorable, one thing I noted. The font of the date wheel is extremely thick. Below is a genuine open 9 for comparison. I know it's genuine, because it's my 16800.

IMG_20200209_163027437fa44e8e17ae4f.jpg

It's possible it's a franken piece. We need clear pictures in natural light, multiple angles including side profiles. If possible the engravings on the lugs, and if you have the ability, a movement picture, or a video showing winding, time setting through at least one date change and date setting via the crown. I have my doubts that it's 100% original. I'm expecting a franken, but I'd of course like to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Supra87

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
tripdog Thank you for your input!

Rx4Time i will have this watch in my hands as soon as this covid ends and they open airtraffic etc, i see what you mean on the DW print being thick, but it does match the thickness of my dads president wich is from the same era, and is most definitely gen. Sucks that i don’t have better pics, and somehow imgur lowers the quality of the pictures, because in the first pic posted, on my phone you see every single detail, yet the picture i posted you barely see the Swiss markings. For now we will have to wait for covid to pass by so i can inspect the watch and take better pictures/video.

i think i will be making a downpayment on the watch till i get it in my hands. This is a family friend so i doubt there will be any probs incase it is a fake.

thnx again guys,

cheers!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
tripdog Thank you for your input!
Rx4Time i will have this watch in my hands as soon as this covid ends and they open airtraffic etc, i see what you mean on the DW print being thick, but it does match the thickness of my dads president wich is from the same era, and is most definitely gen. Sucks that i don’t have better pics, and somehow imgur lowers the quality of the pictures, because in the first pic posted, on my phone you see every single detail, yet the picture i posted you barely see the Swiss markings. For now we will have to wait for covid to pass by so i can inspect the watch and take better pictures/video.
i think i will be making a downpayment on the watch till i get it in my hands. This is a family friend so i doubt there will be any probs incase it is a fake.
thnx again guys,
cheers!
Use clickpix or pixelsbin, upload the pictures and copy the BBcode full over and it'll display like my picture. Post some pictures and let us know how it turns out! Will you attempt to restore some aspects of it like the crystal?

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Rx4Time thnx for the tip, i will give it a shot in a bit! And yes, i will try and restore it to its old glory,
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/glasscrystal-new-25-135-cyclop-135-crystal--id14157114.htm this will be my first step, how ever i do have to find a trusty watch maker or start learning it myself, ( think this is the best time to strart with this watch) because i brought my 116610 to my watchmaker for service, left it there for 2 months, went to pick it up, and got a watch back with diffrent bracelet and the pearl missing and a straight face. ( still in dispute as we speak) and there are no AD’s here, well a 15 min flight to Aruba will get me to one, but ther are a lot of watchmakers here that work on rolex, just have to find a new one that is trustworthy. I will try and get the pic uploaded soon with hopefully better res,

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Rx4Time thnx for the tip, i will give it a shot in a bit! And yes, i will try and restore it to its old glory,
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/glasscrystal-new-25-135-cyclop-135-crystal--id14157114.htm this will be my first step, how ever i do have to find a trusty watch maker or start learning it myself, ( think this is the best time to strart with this watch) because i brought my 116610 to my watchmaker for service, left it there for 2 months, went to pick it up, and got a watch back with diffrent bracelet and the pearl missing and a straight face. ( still in dispute as we speak) and there are no AD’s here, well a 15 min flight to Aruba will get me to one, but ther are a lot of watchmakers here that work on rolex, just have to find a new one that is trustworthy. I will try and get the pic uploaded soon with hopefully better res,

Chrono24 tends to be overpriced. You can find new sealed ones on eBay and other sources for around $200. Here's a couple of examples.

https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/plex...16014-16030-16250-16523-datejust-watches.html
https://www.watchmaterial.com/original-rolex-crystal-25-135/
https://www.ebay.com/i/273934012289...BXcmwhh8VwV9moIuIQbncv-74HakUbghoClYIQAvD_BwE

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Ah pressed post by accident,

Rx4Time thnx for the links! Will save me a boatload!

​​​​​​​Cheers

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Looks good! Let us know when you get it!

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Rx4Time sorry for the late reply, but will keep you posted! Dont know when they will open back airtraffic cause of covid, but i am not in a rush !

Stay safe!

Supra87

Horology Curious
15/3/20
Update, i got a friend of mine to pick up the watch, and i got him to bring it to the AD, and the watch is legit. He is flying back tomorrow, so i will have the watch in my hands tomorrow!

Now i just need to get some extra links, ordering the crystal as we speak!

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
100% a legit DJ. Albeit in rather rough condition. Did you get it? How is it looking now?

Last edited:

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
It looks all gen, supposed that nobody changed the gen 1570 movement for some eta movement. The condition is alright for a 50 or more years old watch. I have been restoring Rolex watches which have been much more beaten up, and I could polish this one in less than one hour, and as these old 4-digit Datejusts had plexi crystals, it is very easy to polish the original crystal to be good looking again. Keeps the watch all original. But dont try it by yourself!! Here in Germany there are several watch repair services offering complete polishing of watches for prices between 200 and 300 Euros. After such a treatment, your watch will look almost like new. Only remarkable thing: the radium dots should show signs of burn out from the radiation, thats typical for those old dials, cannot see this on your picture. On the other hand, everything looks good and gen on this rare pie-pan dial. I hope for you that the movement is alright, repairing the old 1570 movements have become difficult and very, very expensive nowdays.