• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clone or Swiss how to choose

SandMan1978

Horology Curious
9/5/14
Side 7
Hello friends.

I have read your opinions regarding the use of the clone mechanisms 3135 / clone eta 2824 / gen eta or similar.

Opinions are different mainly over time.

In the past the 3135 or similar were completely discouraged, today they seem are better.

I would like your opinion on two points of view:

- Reliability (cost of repairs and periodic revisions, any necessary mods, etc etc)

- Opportunities (greater or lesser possibilities to implement gen parts, etc etc)

Reactions: sn95

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
If you'd like your movement to give you years of hassle free service then choose a Swiss ETA.

If however you love problems, and don't intend spending several hundred $$ on replacing all the parts made out of recycled coke cans, then choose one of those fabulous 3135 clones.

Reactions: SandMan1978

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
It depends on whether you plan on modding it with gen parts imo.

If you plan on adding a gen datewheel or gen dial, hands..etc for a Rolex, then go for the 3135 clone. SH3135s needs a little work on some of them due to the date getting stuck sometimes. I had to get a better date yoke so it doesn’t get stuck. Some work perfectly fine out of the box. I had mine serviced before it got to me so I honestly don’t know how they perform out of the box. I just know that mine runs and winds smooth as butter.

If you just want to keep the watch the way it is or are ok with using dial dots/adding new feet or using a overlay if you plan on modding then I would just go with a Swiss eta. I would never order it from a TD as a gen ETA though. I would buy the ETA by itself and swap the movements.

While some TDs do offer ETA movements, you can never be a 100% sure it is all gen ETA parts without sending it to a watchsmith to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk