• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA 2836-2 vs Clone - how to tell "Swiss" from "Asian"

RickFlorida

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/10/15
So here is a question. Are none of the nickel plated 2836-2 movements clones but are all genuine? It looks like all the clones are gold/brass colored.

lethalspectre

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/5/16
Silly question but from your own personal experience and professional knowledge " " Are you better off with a swiss ETA 2836 or just a clone copy?
Everything I have heard is swiss is better

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
So here is a question. Are none of the nickel plated 2836-2 movements clones but are all genuine? It looks like all the clones are gold/brass colored.

thats not true , ive seen silver clones

fabbrisd

24/12/12
Yes - a "genuine" ETA 2836 (or Sellita SW200) will give you a smoother and longer lasting movement - than a Asian "clone".

Please note that Asia 2836 is nothing illegal, as the 2836 patents have long since expired.

That said - a "good" A2836 can be "quite good" however due to wide # of Asia makers - and overall Asia movement production quality control is not "up to" same consistent/quality-control as the Swiss - another reason why genuine Swiss is better.

Please understand when the patents were in effect - the Swiss were the ones that put Asia-ETA movements into play in China and Thailand - and as patents expired Asia maker broadened.

The July posted movement is a "clone" marked as ETA - and from what I see it looks to me be a Seagull partial-parts kit assembled by another China factory.

The whole "myth" about "rebuilt" movements by-and-large is a fiction as well - referring insted to Asia assembled 2836 with partial purchased as partial-parts kits from ETA - and those ETA parts-kits primarily from ETA-Asia subcontracted Asia component suppliers.

I have heard people say Swiss-ETA 2836 in HK/China quoting too-low prices to be gen-Swiss ... and no HK/China will quote Sellita SW200 - which is gen Swiss AND lower than ETA2836 - becuase China/Thailand have not tooled up "clone" SW200 parts..

Keep the beat !

ReplicacilpeR

Looking Around
23/9/16
Hello,
Can any of you recommend a source for a good quality rep. of an Explorer I? I'm in the U.S.

Thx

pulp fiction

12/7/15
http://www.perfectwatches.to/

has anyone bought from this store? do you think they have genuine eta movements? tyvm.
If you sticked around long enough you will know the official response is rwi does not encourage sales outside of TDs (trusted dealers) provided by rwi. That being said, I googled "perfect watches reviews" and immediately came up with countless reviews. Do some of your own research, don't wait for someone to feed you answers.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

bangsters

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/17
Mods, just want to pass a message across. @MiketheBike was banned for unauthorized chargeback, but he says he never did such thing. He posted on sister site, and just wanted to pass along. Maybe just a mixup with another member?

Sent from my HTC 10

vietstop

Horology Curious
15/3/17
Thanks for sharing this, now I can pick up some more knowledge to spot the gen or clone movement.

Phener9

5/4/13
Wrexham, Wales
Great thread here, and after reading the tutorial the movement in question is in my opinion a clone.
But you can still enjoy the watch, if it was serviced that is cleaned and oiled then regulated it should give years of service.
Shame the thread was highjack ed,