• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMF Batman vs Gen Batman

Circus

Horology Curious
11/3/19
In my opinion this is a beautiful watch and i would really like to have one. All those small flaws, well, i doubt that most people would notice them. Even less of a problem when there’s no Gen to compare side by side. But what i often notice is (probably it’s the angle) the Cyclops often look crooked. And the crown on the Rehaut seems to be misaligned with the 12 o‘clock marker. Things that will not happen with a Gen. A normal person will never notice the difference in color, the not 100% font/thickness of the Datewheel, the wrong Handstack,... But a crooked Cyclop/misaligned Rehaut will spot it as a Rep. This is simply sloppily assembled. Something i would expect from a cheap $50 Rep, but not from a $400+ watch. If only they could fix those things i would probably buy one. That’s just my opinion.
Greetings to all

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Screw everything, worst game of thrones finale ever!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
In my opinion this is a beautiful watch and i would really like to have one. All those small flaws, well, i doubt that most people would notice them. Even less of a problem when there’s no Gen to compare side by side. But what i often notice is (probably it’s the angle) the Cyclops often look crooked. And the crown on the Rehaut seems to be misaligned with the 12 o‘clock marker. Things that will not happen with a Gen. A normal person will never notice the difference in color, the not 100% font/thickness of the Datewheel, the wrong Handstack,... But a crooked Cyclop/misaligned Rehaut will spot it as a Rep. This is simply sloppily assembled. Something i would expect from a cheap $50 Rep, but not from a $400+ watch. If only they could fix those things i would probably buy one. That’s just my opinion.
Greetings to all
Tons of gens have misaligned rehaut

oberblender

Certified
20/4/08
Firstly: Thank you for this great review! The GMF looks actually surprisingly good, I have to say!

Secondly: I think the picking on flaws got a bit out of hand here with some people.

Apologize if i‘m wrong. Personally i never saw a misaligned Gen. But i didn’t saw a ton of Gens at all.

I can confirm that there is lots of gens wirh slightlynmisalignes rehaut. It is very common. Even a gen I own has a very slightly misaligned rehaut.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Apologize if i‘m wrong. Personally i never saw a misaligned Gen. But i didn’t saw a ton of Gens at all.
I thought also they didn't until I saw on Rolex forums . Look at some examples
b5644818893e834c4b1298d20b1799e5.jpg
66e27e9ac0c5b3fad96ad74549b83f11.jpg

Reactions: Circus

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Plenty of gens have misaligned bezels common issue.

Check this btw:

m116610ln-0001.png

9 oclock marker is misaligned also the 30 and thats the official picture on the rolex.com site :D computer generated :D

Last edited:
Reactions: stufuse and Circus

Circus

Horology Curious
11/3/19
9 oclock marker is misaligned also the 30 and thats the official picture on the rolex.com site :D computer generated :D
Probably i have some little OCD, but definitely i would never accept this watch in a Rolex Boutique for that price.
Actually i think that this is a picture of a real watch, not computer generated.

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
Probably i have some little OCD, but definitely i would never accept this watch in a Rolex Boutique for that price.
Actually i think that this is a picture of a real watch, not computer generated.

I think in the excitement of purchasing a gen you may miss subtle flaws and expect everything to be perfect.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I think they pictures a real one and then rebuild it digital to match the photographed one.

oberblender

Certified
20/4/08

Hahaha... well these days it is not so easy to even get a steel Rolex in the boutique. They'll happily let you pass and give it to the next person on the list.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU

That's a 3D model. 100% computer generated. All their videos of the watches are also computer generated to get just the right shine and reflections to look good.

Reactions: KSwatches

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
That's a 3D model. 100% computer generated. All their videos of the watches are also computer generated to get just the right shine and reflections to look good.

Exactly. They design their watches using 3D generation software, the challenge comes when translating that software model to the real steel stuff. But for any photos or videos, they just need to get the 3D model and do whatever they want with it.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
I might be a little slow but with a better insert it looks good to me.

Last edited:

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
I might be a little slow but with a better insert it looks good to me.

Insert is the least of the problems.

My eyes are used to seeing gen and the rep insert is certainly not an issue (I’m not taking about comparing static gen vs rep pics but in real life)

The reason being is that these inserts are so dynamic. Sometimes they looks all black and sometimes they look all blue. Therefore, it is impossible to define what gen SHOULD look like at any given angle/lighting. The rep insert therefore doesn’t look “off” to my eyes in real life.

What does look off is the flat rep hands and hour markers, which don’t sparkle like gen and don’t have the same curved geometry like gen. rep cyclops is obviously off but this is the case for all reps rollies. Gen dial and hands is what makes this watch. The rep looks off in this department.

Anyways just my opinion of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tader

3/5/15
KSwatches What's your opinion about the new GMF CHS A3186 watches? I really love the idea of a CHS batman but the idea of it breaking in a week and not being able to easily fix it is a bit daunting.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
What does look off is the flat rep hands and hour markers, which don’t sparkle like gen and don’t have the same curved geometry like gen. rep cyclops is obviously off but this is the case for all reps rollies. Gen dial and hands is what makes this watch. The rep looks off in this department.

Completely agree. Most of the reps "look the part", but when you put them side by side with the genuine counterpart, the gen has a special shine. Well, it's exactly this, the hands have round polished edges, which reflect light from any angle, they have some 3D effect, which reflects more light, the dial is deeeeeeep black and glossy, etc. It seems like it shines more and better because, well... it actually does shine more!