• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Oil filling a rep? Replacement parts?

GreekBagel

Horology Curious
28/1/17
Hey all,

Just got my Sinn UX Hydro, https://www.intime01.co/sinn/1304-ux-jr-limited-automatic-ss-black-red-swiss-2836.html , and wanted to try to do the oil filling like gen has. I'm not sure if the rep is oil filled but I highly doubt it, also I can see the shadow of the second hand which is another reason to suspect that it doesn't have oil in it. Anyone have any guides or guidance on how to dismantle one of these reps and fill with oil properly?

Also, the second hand on my watch is incorrect unfortunately, gen is red and white while mine is just white. Figured this would be a good opportunity to replace that if I could also find the second hand.

Thanks in advance.

Pics:
image.png

image.png

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you like your watch, best to not fill it with oil. I doubt the movement will survive. The gen is a quartz as a mechanical movement will not function in oil.

minty007

WABAC Machine Escapee
Supporter
Certified
13/5/08
Colorado, USA
And according to Sinn (regarding the gen):

"There are no watchmakers or service centers anywhere in the world other than at Sinn in Frankfurt who can service Sinn oil-filled quartz watches (EZM 2, UX Series, Hydro Series)"

So when the special 7 yr battery dies, the owner is forced to send their quartz watch to Sinn for a battery change... what a royal PITA! No thanks... if I was going to add a UX, I'd forego the gen and chose the oil-less rep with the auto and be very happy...

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
odd , it looks like there is a bubble in there ......

or does it have dust on it ?

GreekBagel

Horology Curious
28/1/17
odd , it looks like there is a bubble in there ......

or does it have dust on it ?

Dust for sure. I thought the same thing haha.

Lume is super weak on this, I need to get something that lasts for a few hours nice and bright.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Doesn't the Hydro rep have a mechanical movement? I have something like that in mind...
However: Sinn Hydro watches aren't oil filled and certainly not with any oil. They used to be filled with a high viscosity silicone oil in the early batches, but that caused yellowing of the dial and hands.
After that they changed to some mad rocket science stuff that's not only pretty much completely inert to anything due to the stable state of noble gas configuration this stuff has, but also insanely expensive.
It's a perfluorinated compound, which can be purchased through 3M for example under the name Fluorinert.
Oh and if that works, you would have to find a way to compensate for temperature related expansion or otherwise your crystal would probably pop off. Sinn has a patended mechanism in the case back to allow for that.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Hello. You can't fill an automatic watch with oil - it will conk out. The gen has a high torque thermo regulated super quartz movement, which is bonkers accurate - around 2 seconds per month.

As per the above post - yes, they used to be filled with a silicon oil, which caused the lume and hands to become a yellow brown colour. Sinn replaced all of this during the battery service. Now they use a teflon based oil which is completely inert - I think you can even drink it!

My gen says 'hi'.

You can see 2 things on the second pic; the hole where the oil goes in and out, and also the UX party piece - because of the oil, there is no light refraction from the crystal, so the dial can be read at any angle - it looks like the face is a sticker. The other advantage is it is completely legible underwater, as you don't see a bright reflective air bubble - just the time.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
Do you mean Teflon or PTFE? I don't think this polymer has anything to do with the filling.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
I'm beginning to take a shine to the gen.

I don't think this polymer has anything to do with the filling.
Yeah, no. Fluorinert contains none of either IIRC.

Ko67

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/4/13
Prices of these gens have come come way down recently . You can get them on flea bay for $1500 or so

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Do you mean Teflon or PTFE? I don't think this polymer has anything to do with the filling.

Yes, sorry, my bad - PTFE. It was once put to me in incorrect laymen terms and somehow that got wedged in my brain. It's a flouropolymer but I don't know the trade name. Maybe it's changed again since I bought mine in 2013.

Second hand Sinns are usually very good value as German brands have a lower resale than Swiss.

There are a few price points of this piece with the case and bezel in submarine steel with rubber strap at the bottom and the fully tegimented pvd coated version at the top.

One thing I didn't mention on the pic is that you can see the submarine steel is a darker, more grey colour than regular stainless. The pit resistance of this steel is around 3-4x that of 316, and the vickers hardness that Sinns tegimenting gives makes the watch around 6x more scratch resistant than 316.

There are serious dive watches, then there is the UX.