• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SW200 problem with ratchet wheel

MBvHoven

3/8/16
One week ago I was really happy to receive my new PP Aquanaut with SW200 movement. The watch is a real stunner and the movement was (and for now still is) an extremely accurate timekeeper.

I was over the moon with the watch, but started to worry a bit when I stumbled upon this thread on RWG:

http://rwg.cc/topic/140880-be-careful-with-the-sw200-based-models/

In the thread problems with the SW200 movement are discussed regarding teeth stripping on the ratchet wheel.

Mine seemed fine at first, but today I noticed this:
f3ae1e37a5c2eeadb11bb79466f3cdb9.jpg

One teeth broken off, and it's a matter of time before more follow... [emoji32]

My question, and I would really appreciate your advise on this, what do I do? Do contact the TD (Toro) about this, or do I send it to a watchsmith, or do I wait for the damage to accumulate???

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Fix it asap........here is the reason...that tooth is somewhere , and the more that float around the movement , the more damage could be inflicted

MBvHoven

3/8/16
Fix it asap........here is the reason...that tooth is somewhere , and the more that float around the movement , the more damage could be inflicted

Thanks for that!

I'm a total noob when it comes to watch repairs. How does one go about sending a watch for repairs? Would any watchsmith be able to fix this? What would they charge?

unreformed66

Known Member
Supporter
7/11/15
United States, Ohio
Replacing the ratchet wheel is a 10 minute job unless something goes wrong. Pull the rotor, pull the self winding bridge, pull the ratchet wheel, reassemble with new part. And Raddave is 100% correct that you don't want to let this go. That tooth is rattling around down in there somewhere and will cause trouble. Let the watch run down and don't wind it again until you get it fixed. This might be a chance to see if a genuine ETA ratchet wheel will fit. I'm betting that it will. The cost of the repair shouldn't be much, I doubt you could pay the shipping to China and back for what the repair would cost.

MBvHoven

3/8/16
Replacing the ratchet wheel is a 10 minute job unless something goes wrong. Pull the rotor, pull the self winding bridge, pull the ratchet wheel, reassemble with new part. And Raddave is 100% correct that you don't want to let this go. That tooth is rattling around down in there somewhere and will cause trouble. Let the watch run down and don't wind it again until you get it fixed. This might be a chance to see if a genuine ETA ratchet wheel will fit. I'm betting that it will. The cost of the repair shouldn't be much, I doubt you could pay the shipping to China and back for what the repair would cost.

After doing some research, I found the following solution:

http://www.sellita.ch/images/stories/documents/IS05_evolution_calibre_SW200_vers_SW200-1.pdf

It is basically an upgrade from sw200 to se200-1, and it involves replacement of three wheels, including the ratchet wheel. I sent my watch off to Chris and he has done the fix! Can't wait to receive my "upgraded" watch!

unreformed66

Known Member
Supporter
7/11/15
United States, Ohio
After doing some research, I found the following solution:

http://www.sellita.ch/images/stories/documents/IS05_evolution_calibre_SW200_vers_SW200-1.pdf

It is basically an upgrade from sw200 to se200-1, and it involves replacement of three wheels, including the ratchet wheel. I sent my watch off to Chris and he has done the fix! Can't wait to receive my "upgraded" watch!

Good deal! I didn't know that Selitta had updated the winding pieces, thanks for posting that information.