• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pop up stating “Your info was part of a data breach” on rwi login....

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I use my iPad to access rwi on a daily basis, generally with Firefox. Today when I opened it, I had to log in (which is unusual) and when I did I got a pop up the way the password manager pops up on Apple products. It also prompted me to change my password.

Is this real ? Was there a data breach? Part of me was even reluctant of the pop up and link to change my password.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
No data breach that I'm aware of. I assume you changed your password ?

Glaude

cecilcu92

Known Member
Certified
6/2/20
CONUS
In my experience, that is the password manager telling you that the username/email and pw combination was detected as part of a breach somewhere, but not necessarily on RWI. Sometimes the pw manager will tell you where the vulnerability originated, but not always.

Reactions: Glaude

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
No data breach that I'm aware of. I assume you changed your password ?

Glaude

no, I didn’t at the time because I didn’t trust the link. I figured I’d do it manually/conventionally. But I think this popped up because of an internal issue.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
In my experience, that is the password manager telling you that the username/email and pw combination was detected as part of a breach somewhere, but not necessarily on RWI. Sometimes the pw manager will tell you where the vulnerability originated, but not always.

This !

This doesn't mean the website you are currently visiting is the one that has been breached, but it means that Firefox looked into the various data breach website and found that the hash (aka the encrypted combination of your username & password) has been found.
This doesn't mean that your password is compromised, but it mean that if someone was able to crack it, he could try it on other website, including RWI given that you use this password here.

While I'll still recommend you to change your password here and elsewhere, I'll put your mind at rest too : RWI is using a method of encrypting password that have never been hacked and will probably never be.
There was also no data breach ever on RWI (or any rep website as far as I know)