• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Paypal F & F

kerouacknew

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/14
Canada
Hi, Just wondering if this is the normal method of payment here?
Seems like a lot of sellers list this for payment. I understand not wanting to pay the fees but where is the protection for the buyer if the watch doesnt arrive.
I would really like to purchase a few reps but I just cant wrap my mind around sending money this way. Way too risky for me. Especially big money.

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Easy solution - offer regular paypal to the seller and agree that you as the buyer would cover the fees.

I get that you may be hesitant. We try to look after one another on the forum, and if something were to go wrong, the admins get involved and help get things sorted. Its rare, but it happens, and even our beloved forum gets scammers from time to time. But they are usually dealt with in a way that encourages them to make things right.

However, if you are weary about sending friends and family payment to someone you dont know, as i mentioned, just offer to cover the fees.

Reactions: kerouacknew

kerouacknew

26/7/14
Canada
Ok thank you. Yes I would gladly cover fees for peace of mind.
Most are senior members who im sure are trustworthy. But my first rule of internet shopping has always been. Never send family and friends.

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Ok thank you. Yes I would gladly cover fees for peace of mind.
Most are senior members who im sure are trustworthy. But my first rule of internet shopping has always been. Never send family and friends.

even senior members have been known to go rogue in the past .. i understand your reservations. If a member is on the up and up, they will more then likely agree to a regular paypal transaction as long as you cover the fees. Happy searching :)

Last edited:

kerouacknew

26/7/14
Canada
Thanks. So if I was to be contacted about my WTB ad and someone is offering to make me a watch. What is the correct way to set up this sale? thanks again

Picksk

18/6/20
Ask the person to set up a reserved sales thread for you. That you are both covered in case something goes south.

mrln

Supporter
25/11/20
EU
No idea if this has been answered elsewhere.
I just stumbled across this thread and the question still arises after my first rep purchase here: what is the difference between F&F and the gift variant? Both is without fees and both is not covered by PP if I have issues with a deal, right!? But after sending money via F&F I should correct this to gift. Where is the advantage for the recipient? :confused:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
No idea if this has been answered elsewhere.
I just stumbled across this thread and the question still arises after my first rep purchase here: what is the difference between F&F and the gift variant? Both is without fees and both is not covered by PP if I have issues with a deal, right!? But after sending money via F&F I should correct this to gift. Where is the advantage for the recipient? :confused:

Gift = Friends & Family, I don't believe the gift term still existing at PayPal but has just been replaced by the F&F name, at least that's what I gather from their help pages

mrln

Supporter
25/11/20
EU
No, like i said: i had to correct my transaction. Maybe there is a difference in other countries. In Germany we can send money via f&f. And elsewhere in PP you can send money as a gift (with funny cards).

Ecy

24/7/19
My 0.02 is to do your homework on what paypal covers after July 31st 2020.

Some rule changes took effect for significantly not as described, items for resale, seller protection, requirements to resolve a dispute and selling on a non paypal platform.

The problem becomes are you actually getting anything by using goods and services, or are just giving away free money. For sellers, they received some protections and ways to weasel out of refunds with SNAD and the fact you are buying or selling a rep is an issue when proving you tried to work it out.

As a seller, I can see not wanting G & S as if something goes wrong, or a seller just files a claim without reaching out, you both can lose your account for selling something PP deems illegal. Its your money and your decision to make, but the internet has changed because Paypal is making it less friendly for single item transactions for buyers and sellers. I was a 'never f & f' and switched to bitcoin and f & f after the rule changes myself.

Also, as Glaude said, Gift is F & F. Same thing.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
No, like i said: i had to correct my transaction. Maybe there is a difference in other countries. In Germany we can send money via f&f. And elsewhere in PP you can send money as a gift (with funny cards).

From PayPal own terms :

https://www.paypal.com/de/smarthelp...-family-or-goods-and-services-payments-faq638

Apparently Gift is just another subcategory for Friends & Family but it's following the same terms, nothing different in terms of protection. It may remove some informations or add the possibility to send cards etc... as you said

mrln

Supporter
25/11/20
EU
Also, as Glaude said, Gift is F & F. Same thing.
yeah, if not seen technically. thanks!

Apparently Gift is just another subcategory for Friends & Family but it's following the same terms, nothing different in terms of protection. It may remove some informations or add the possibility to send cards etc... as you said
okay! so it is just a RWI term, if someone ask for gift. in the end it is f&f.
what remains is that my first seller refused the f&f money and wanted it again as a gift. so the whole thing was completely unnecessary. weird!

thanks!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
yeah, if not seen technically. thanks!

okay! so it is just a RWI term, if someone ask for gift. in the end it is f&f.
what remains is that my first seller refused the f&f money and wanted it again as a gift. so the whole thing was completely unnecessary. weird!

thanks!

You could ask him why he wanted that and what he felt was the difference between the two. I think here people refer as gift because it was called like that before it was renamed Friends & Family, but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong