• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mobile viewport responsive layout hides search within sub-forums

exrazile

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/15
Hey tech team,

First of all, many thanks for maintaining this site for the community. So with that said, know that this isn’t a complaint, merely just a way of documenting an issue. :)

The responsive layout hides some features of the website when viewed through some mobile browsers. The biggest offender that I’ve found is the inability to search within a forum. For example, it’s impossible to go to the Rolex sub-forum and search for “who makes the best sub.” The only accessible search mechanism is the global search available in the main menu, and even with its advanced settings, it’s not possible to search a specific forum.

I am aware that the search function is contained within a menu on the top-right of a thread or forum. The issue is that in a portrait view, the existing media query hides the search functionality. In landscape view, the search (if it is not hidden, which I can’t tell) is too far down and off the screen. When trying to scroll down, the menu disappears, so it’s impossible to scroll down and get to the search, *if* it’s actually there.

I’m on an iPhone X and it happens on Safari, Chrome, and Opera. This makes me believe that it’s not a browser or iOS issue, but a media-query viewport size issue.

I hope this is enough information to lead to a solution. If there’s anything else I can do to help, please just ask. I’m not really a web developer (I’m a C/C++ guy), but I can hack my way around, if need be. I’m a rep, not a gen. ;)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Thanks for letting us know, we will take a look to see if there is a fix but it could be a bug in the software itself in which case we will put in a bugfix request with vB.