• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How much research / reading before you purchase your watch.

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Just curious, but much reading on this forum do you do before purchasing a watch? I’ve read most posts and compare my desired watch and compare to their competitors factories. At the end of the day, I feel like it’s almost bordering on OCD.

There’s a part of me saying to myself just get it already and enjoy it. Knowing every minute detail takes away from the enjoyment. Just wanted a sense of where other people are when it comes to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiddo

-----
Gold Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Well.... seems like you know what you want. Pick one of the Trusted Dealers and order it. While you are waiting for it to arrive, keep reading. You'll then find something else you want....

The amount of knowledge you want or need is up to you. Sounds like you have enough to make an informed decision as to what you want, though.

Keep in mind things are moving very slowly right now when ordering and shipping from China. You'll need the patience part of the hobby.

brokebuthappy

24/2/20
Do research on which factory makes the "best"
Sort through the pros and cons of each
then choose what you value most of the cons.

Functionality? Appearance? Ect.

At the end of the day every factory will have something not perfect about the watch.

More than likely not many people have done the research you have on that watch you want, the minuscule details will not be noticeable by others if thats what you're concentrated about. unless you're flexing your watch on insta or in an AD no one will pull out a caliper or a scale and tell you its off.

personally for me if it functions im happy.

Triberus

Horology Curious
3/11/19
Canada
For me, my knowledge of watches is very green. So I took my time reading through and learning about gen and reps. Once I've settle on a watch, knowing every detail helps me enjoy that part further when it arrives. If there's anything I've learn from this forum is to just do it, and be patient.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I seriously admire anyone who does any proper research before they buy their first rep(s). I think I was probably up to about a dozen before I started getting any idea of what's what...

Luc.font

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/16
EU
my last order, I was focused on a DAYDATE and when considering the risk of the misworking customized movement with decorated plate, the daywheel font off, etc. I changed my mind and ordered a DJ two tone, look-a-like, and now I regret.

What I would do in the future is ordering the one I like, even if it's not perfect because nothing can be perfect in this game, we should accept the risk and the flaws, or buy a gen watch. these watches are for most very beautiful and a huge quality for money and worth the buy.

Sometimes you can get informations somewhere else than in internet, and they could make difference btw which one you will pick up. Once i went to an AD to test some model from tudor, and this was a good idea because, on wrist I didn't like the height of the watch and proportion of the case, it was a Blackbay heritage and Also loved the pelagos, but not suitable for my wrist, so I ended with a Blackbay 58. Even if you like the look, the colours, the finishes, you could be unsatisfied with size, proportion and how's looking on you, with your wrist, the height, how it stands. Don't neglect this.

And keeping a small budget for oiling and cleaning the watch is a good idea to make it last and accurate, morever if the movement is a customized one, to prevent part from breaking into gears etc.

Last edited:

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
Do research on which factory makes the "best"
Sort through the pros and cons of each
then choose what you value most of the cons.

Functionality? Appearance? Ect.

At the end of the day every factory will have something not perfect about the watch.

More than likely not many people have done the research you have on that watch you want, the minuscule details will not be noticeable by others if thats what you're concentrated about. unless you're flexing your watch on insta or in an AD no one will pull out a caliper or a scale and tell you its off.

personally for me if it functions im happy.

This ^^ pros and cons to all of them!

Sent from the RWI App

Nithux88

Horology Curious
16/11/18
What I do a lot is reseatch compared to the original taking 2 images (of rep and gen) having them side by side on your screen. You could also open up photo and overlay an image of a gen with a reps image and change the opacity in order to see edges and corners that might differ.

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
my last order, I was focused on a DAYDATE and when considering the risk of the misworking customized movement with decorated plate, the daywheel font off, etc. I changed my mind and ordered a DJ two tone, look-a-like, and now I regret.

What I would do in the future is ordering the one I like, even if it's not perfect because nothing can be perfect in this game, we should accept the risk and the flaws, or buy a gen watch. these watches are for most very beautiful and a huge quality for money and worth the buy.

Sometimes you can get informations somewhere else than in internet, and they could make difference btw which one you will pick up. Once i went to an AD to test some model from tudor, and this was a good idea because, on wrist I didn't like the height of the watch and proportion of the case, it was a Blackbay heritage and Also loved the pelagos, but not suitable for my wrist, so I ended with a Blackbay 58. Even if you like the look, the colours, the finishes, you could be unsatisfied with size, proportion and how's looking on you, with your wrist, the height, how it stands. Don't neglect this.

And keeping a small budget for oiling and cleaning the watch is a good idea to make it last and accurate, morever if the movement is a customized one, to prevent part from breaking into gears etc.

What are the regrets you have with the TT? Did it change colour?

Luc.font

11/5/16
EU
Not lasted a week in my hands. Reselled it. the watch was great just not the one i originaly wanted

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Just curious, but much reading on this forum do you do before purchasing a watch? I’ve read most posts and compare my desired watch and compare to their competitors factories. At the end of the day, I feel like it’s almost bordering on OCD.
Nothing against a healthy amount of research. The dedicated threads for each model are perfect to know about all the details you might look out for when choosing your next rep. Just remember to not get carried away and know when you have to start laughing. You don't want to miss out on an awesome rep because of a wonky lug engraving, right? ;)

As with any major purchase, I'll google til my eyes bleed, read review after review and go through forum posts on the topic of whatever it is I'm buying. It can be a car or a power tool or a pump for a fish pond, all the answers are out there. Except rep watches. Info about them is quite thin on the ground and without this place I would have a lot less knowledge about them than the meagre amount I now have. Perhaps I wasn't asking Google the right questions. Perhaps I was only seeing what I wanted to see but you can always learn something even if all you learn is that you don't like what you've learnt. Knowledge is power and I'm just about running a 40watt light bulb but I'm getting there.

Reactions: kswiss1900

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
I usually wait around 2+ yrs before I purchase the model I want. Take for example the Noob Daytona 116500, the very first version is not even in 904L. Then is not until V3 where they have corrected the bezel and with a semi decent dial (later with wrong subdials).

IMHO is super rare to have a good rep with V1, not saying it never happens but is rare (look at the AP Diver).

Is not how much I need to read but what are the flaws I want to accept.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire

There’s a part of me saying to myself just get it already and enjoy it. Knowing every minute detail takes away from the enjoyment. Just wanted a sense of where other people are when it comes to this.

I think, but just my personal opinion, that if you don't research, you are wasting a huge resource, that the community is offering, for free.

Fellow members have spent years (some even decades) scrutinizing every single detail on most watches on the market, so to not avail of the macro shots and invaluable info they're providing for free, would be a crying shame.

I dont think it takes away from the buying experience, it actually complements it and helps you avoid the pitfalls others may have fallen for.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

A.Watch.Enthusiast

29/3/21
UK
Being a new member on the forum (Hello all) the research, the people I've met and spoke to along my journey and the information I have received as well as read so far has been invaluable. I do need to learn to accept flaws on watches as I am a perfectionist but aren't we all in some way or form ? Learning the different pitfalls that the top manufacturers make has well and truly made me sway to one. I'm not saying which as its irrelevant and I chose them because I'm happy to except those "certain" flaws where as you may not.

All in all had I not stumbled upon this forum I would be several hundred £££ out of pocket and probably have no watch to show for it.

CoolWhip42

Make somebody’s day.
Supporter
Certified
7/8/19
Knowing what you want is key. No deviating from that. Once you have a lock down, know what level of likeness you want. You can go from DHGate level to superrep. Know what you want to spend. After that, research (pretty easy since there are tons of write ups) the best factory (NOT VSF hehe) that specializes in reps. I personally don't buy watches with Clone Swiss movements and stick to common movements, ie. 2824, 2938, 9015, Venus 75, etc. Once QC is presented, grab the same angle of photo and compare to Gen. Tell you TD the flaws you see. Normally all TD's put the watch on a Timegrapher. If those settings are way out acceptability, call them on it. They will either adjust or return.