• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch winder startup

uszilard

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/8/18
Berlin, Germany
Hi to all watch fans!

I'm a part of small team of watch enthusiasts with engineering expirience and access to CNC milling machines, 3D printers and other stuff. We are currently working on our small project which is creating a top notch quality watch winder comparable to Swiss Kubik, Scatola del tempo and other big players but while keeping a reasonable price (approx. 300EUR). Maybe we will be succesful and make it to the crowd funding, maybe not and will make just few pcs for friends :) But most important is to try to do something interesting.

At this point we already have some basic ideas, but to make this as good as possible, I'd like to ask you for your opinion. What should the best winder do? How many watches should fit in? Should it have bluetooth?
icon_smile.gif

Thank you a lot in andvance for your feedback. It will help us to avoid many mistakes and maybe create something really cool!

Reactions: Warrcraft

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
Very interesting, i believe 3 or 4 rotating watch slots are enough for a winder.

I have bought several winders and even the ones that retail for around 1k and seemed to be well made ended up having many issues. If you manage to make durable and beautiful winders for 300 euros it would definitely be interesting.

Maybe another storage compartment to put a few manual watches would be a plus. Also If you make a smart winder with an app that could be very cool.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Make an app for it! Let the owner take and upload pics to the app then they could see their pieces turn when the machine communicates with wireless. The ability to turn on and off and make setting changes would appeal to the younger. Variable illumination colors or.selectable colored.leds.

Let me.think more about this.

​​​​​​

Reactions: uszilard

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Consider the design like an hour glass of you make singles. Call it the Steel Widow or if you coat it, the Black Widow. Or just the whole line as.Widow winders or Spider Winders and you could incorporate web designs and other spider lines.

Makes the cushions finger adjustable tension instead of spring.

Roumec

Horology Curious
16/5/19
Hi guys,

thank you for the input. Those ideas are super interesting. I really love the idea with an app for posting pictures. I can really imagine the facebook layout in the app to upload pictures on our fb page, which could bring the customers bit together :).

About the design, ideas are great and really difficult for manufacturing. We would like to pull out some easy smooth design like swiss kubik, but bit modular. Front and back could be from high quality wood with smooth finishing, and around anodized alloy. So as customer, you can pick any type of wood, and any color of alloy + we might include some sort of laser engraving. So every box would be totally customized.

Anyway the idea with app is great, thanks for that! DaleM, what do you think by finger adjustable tension?? Thx

Roumec

Horology Curious
16/5/19
nteresting, i believe 3 or 4 rotating watch slots are enough for a winder.

I have bought several winders and even the ones that retail for around 1k and seemed to be well made ended up having many issues. If you manage to make durable and beautiful winders for 300 euros it would definitely be interesting.

Maybe another storage compartment to put a few manual watches would be a plus. Also If you make a smart winder with an app that could be very cool.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I ask what was for 1k and what was the issue? Thx!

Roumec

Horology Curious
16/5/19
Hi guys,

initial idea is a smooth design, anodized alloy/brass/copper cover + rings around winder (alloy color fully customisable by customer) and front and back from solid wood (also customisable: oak, mahagony, wallnut etc..). Want to keep just start stop button for each winder in the back (or nice metal one in front?), so it stays as smooth and elegant as possible. Bellow is first idea about design, will be happy for any feedback ;)

Toksic

Known Member
25/10/18
This looks nice, but i was just thinking that rather than start stop buttons, wont it be better if its rotates for 5 mins automatically every hour ? just a thought.

Roumec

Horology Curious
16/5/19
This looks nice, but i was just thinking that rather than start stop buttons, wont it be better if its rotates for 5 mins automatically every hour ? just a thought.

Hi, that's not a problem, main idea is that you can setup TDP, turning speed, sleeping time for every winder separately via app but if you take off your watch. You just want to stop the program while it's empty. So with the button you would just start or stop presetted program :)

Toksic

Known Member
25/10/18
If it’s using an app then that makes life so easy. One can probably start and stop sitting on the other side of the globe.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Roumec

Horology Curious
16/5/19
Regarding the storage, I guess it would be possible, do you thing 25x8x2cm compartment would be enough? Thinking about small drawer under winders. Could fit 2 watches or few straps

Roumec

Horology Curious
16/5/19

Hi everybody, I tried to add the drawer. Seems pretty neat. Each compartment is 45x270mm big and drawer height is 25mm. Its not the biggest, but something would definitely fit in. for opening, I was thinking about electromagnet (properly shielded from watches ofc) and button from behind, so the front line would stay smooth, and in case you need open it, you press the button and it jumps off. The watch holders are not final, just a quick model to make it prettyer for now. This color version is brown satin anodyzed alloy and mahagony wood. Will try to get few more renders today.

If you have any other ideas, share it pls. as so far it's a great progress from initial idea.

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
May I ask what was for 1k and what was the issue? Thx!

Sent you a pm

What kind of connectivity were you thinking of using? Bluetooth would be great but if you could connect it to a wifi network that would be next level great.
You could control your winder through the app from anywhere as long as it's connected to wifi.