• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWG Server upgrade (Sept 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
Hi guys,

As announced next door a couple of days back, RWG will be down for a move to a new server and some software upgrades over the next few days

The work is starting as of the timestamp of this post, but the board will not be going down until around 5-6pm UK time.

With luck I hope to only be down for a couple of days, although some of you may have problems for longer dependent on how long it takes worldwide DNS servers to catch up with our new location.

I will update this post with news as things progress.

UPDATE: 6pm 6th Sept. Okay folks. RWG is down as of now. Hopefully not for too long. :)

UPDATE: 9pm 6th Sept. Have gotten the board as it stands up and working on the new server. One small snag is that our hosts are having problems transferring our rwg.bz domain DNS over to the new server. Gawd knows why, but I have a support ticket in with them. If all else fails, we can switch back to our previous url (rwgboard.com) and I'll just redirect rwg.bz to land on it. Might slow down our DNS propagation, though.

Otherwise I've had the board software as it stands now up and running happily on the new server. I've since tried to upgrade the board software and it broke.. :lol: Not unexpected, if I'm honest. I know why it broke, so will run the software upgrade again tomorrow using a different method and it should work next time.

Will update this thread again tomorrow.

UPDATE: 8am 7th Sept. Okay, I've been back at this for an hour. Just got a response from our hosts - it seems that they upgraded their control panel software and it no longer recognises the .bz TLD despite the fact that they've been handling it on our old server contract for the last 18 months :facepalm:

Actually, it's not a big deal - we can handle the DNS another way; using our web hosts' nameservers was just the easy/lazy way of doing it. Working on that now. Still hoping to be largely done with this by sometime tomorrow.

UPDATE: 3pm 7th Sept.

Okay, folks - WE'RE BACK UP!!!! :woot:

As I said earlier, some folks will find that it takes their service providers a while to catch up with our server switch. Those using OpenDNS should be able to find us right now - those who can't get on the board, please be patient - your service provider should catch up with our new location within the next day or two.

Note that we're up faster than expected as I had to back out of part of our planned software upgrade - the new version broke too many of our customisations and was therefore causing more problems than it solved. However, hopefully things will be running a lot better now than they were before.

Look forward to seeing you guys there :)

skidaddled

Horology Curious
28/12/12
Thanks for the update - Hope all goes well - will miss RWG over the w/e...
Still plenty to read here mind you... fingers are crossed for you!

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07

COL, whilst feeling slightly nervous, remained stoic about the influx of refugees from another board ...:)

CyrilClunge

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/11
Meanwhile, Greg was very relaxed about the upgrade

6c08ea7b7237ffd8e45dd1a1dcd5db39.jpg

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
...and as is his way, danced to relieve tension at the very thought of the arduous task that lay ahead...

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Shit, who was ya servant last year CC?

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
Oh no! not you lot again, FFS! :wub:

all women on darkside, keeps you draws on tight, the sailors are in town.. :picard2:

jessen007

Known Member
11/8/13

COL, whilst feeling slightly nervous, remained stoic about the influx of refugees from another board ...:)

This guy has Graves diseases lol

and this is kinda good news!!! I can finally stop getting distracted and study lol Im too addicted to this forum :facepalm:

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
Arh, you broke it! Damn it! At least i don't have to read any dumb posts from that member called Amit, he's not a member here..... :rofl:

Sent from my iBall using Tupperware

Aren

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/11
Thank you for hosting us refugees Trailboss. :wub:
Hi Cyril, Sconey, all...
Just was introducing myself to Lady Felicity over at RWG.
OMG...gB you do look different here :lol:
Mazz, you look fine. :)

Hello everyone!

Trksh...OM...you a mod here :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.