• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWG DoS attack again

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
Hi folks

We seem to be good at pissing people off :wyliehelp:

We've been subject to a DoS attack for the last week. Up to this point we've been successfully fighting it off, but they appear to have changed tactics and ramped things up fairly significantly. This is currently slowing the board to a crawl.

We're doing what we can to mitigate the attack - as always with these things, it's going to take some time. I'll update this post with further info as and when I have it.

UPDATE: Board is currently down (intentionally). In the meantime I'm working on alternative ways to deal with this issue. Realistically, we're going to have to wait this out for a bit, so likely to be down for a few days.

UPDATE Thurs Noon GMT: Okay, I'm working on a way of dealing with this, but it involves some changes which take a while to take effect. I am purposely not going into details here for reasons that should be obvious :)

Realistically, nothing is going to happen today. I am hoping we will be up tomorrow, but there are a couple of fairly major variables involved here, so we'll have to see.

UPDATE: 18:30 Thursday GMT

Okay, so I lied. RWG is back up ;)

Before we celebrate too much, there's no guarantee that we won't get hit again, so we're going to have to see how it goes.

There have also been some DNS changes - some folks will be able to access the board right now, some will have to wait until their ISP's DNS servers catch up with the change - this could take anything up to 36 hours from now, so if the board fails to load for you, please be patient..

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
I wondered what had happened mate, thanks for letting us know. Hope you manage to resolve the issues in good time :)

pobjednik

27/6/10
Ah ok, i was thinking it is my f...ing internet :)
Good luck G in solving this and keep us posted ;)

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
I think they just started disliking seiko because of you....I know that's what did it for me, sol, amit and andy...

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
Hell, mazz, you're a mod on a rep watch forum and you buy Seikos??!!?? No wonder they're attacking us! :rofl:

Semaj

27/12/11
Probably revenge from RA!

Thus spoketh RA the almighty!

Or something.

5up3rman

Renowned Member
4/12/10
You da man Greg. RWI just went to Hipster level with the influx of RWG members

jeffw69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/11
Can we find out where these ******* live?
Why they be attacking us?

Mystery Shopper

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/5/11
Thanks for having us RWI.

Although now RWG is flame free, RWI might seem like the wild west in comparison.

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
Can we find out where these ******* live?
Why they be attacking us?

Wish I knew. The nature of the attack makes it impossible to track back to source. As for the reasoning, I've got a couple of theories I'm looking into, but currently there's no real way to know...

Maybe we've pissed off a spammer, possibly somebody like iparadisiac has gotten fed up with the slating they've been getting on our site and decided to take us down for a while. Who knows - there's plenty of candidates...