• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

CF Pepsi picture leaks BLRO

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
I just mean the date window seems to have a blue reflection unlike gen maybe?

Actually gen xtals can have white or blue reflection on the date window. I actually have a brand new gen 126610 (purchased from AD) that has a blue reflection and 126600 that has a white reflection. Not sure if there is a rhyme or reason as to what models or years have blue or white AR, but I can confirm blue AR definitely exists in some 126610 gens (so presumably blue AR occurs in other models as well).

KingSly

Known Member
15/6/14
Hi guys, i have a Clean GMT Pepsi v2. the xtal doesnt seem the best compared to my VSF Omega. is it worth swapping out for a chris xtal? is this something i can do at home with a few tools from ebay?

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Hi guys, i have a Clean GMT Pepsi v2. the xtal doesnt seem the best compared to my VSF Omega. is it worth swapping out for a chris xtal? is this something i can do at home with a few tools from ebay?

Honestly I wouldn't bother if you are not swapping a gen onto it

Reactions: leo6929 and KingSly

Sub007

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
18/8/14
[mention]Sub007 [/mention]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MadeiraG thanks for tagging and happy to clear why crystal sits just a tiny bit higher

I asked Nikz19 and he told me that in order to preserve water tightness he kept the Rep gasket. If he would have used Gen gasket he had to file the inner part of the crystal retaining ring. But then the watch will lose waterproofness.

So as I always want to go in a pool and not worry or look stupid by removing my watch before I jump in…I prefer water tightness over a mm of height difference that only RWI members in these threads discuss about.

As in real life we live and enjoy our watches ;-)

Reactions: Elno38 and MadeiraG

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
MadeiraG thanks for tagging and happy to clear why crystal sits just a tiny bit higher

I asked Nikz19 and he told me that in order to preserve water tightness he kept the Rep gasket. If he would have used Gen gasket he had to file the inner part of the crystal retaining ring. But then the watch will lose waterproofness.

So as I always want to go in a pool and not worry or look stupid by removing my watch before I jump in…I prefer water tightness over a mm of height difference that only RWI members in these threads discuss about.

As in real life we live and enjoy our watches ;-)

Correct. Genuine gasket didn’t fit, and Sub007 decided it would have been best to have a 0.01mm higher crystal than having to modify the inner part of the crystal retaining ring and lose waterproofness for good.

What would you guys think it’s a major tell, a 0.01mm totally unnoticeable on wrist or tell your friends “wait a second, I need to take off my brand new Rolex before taking a bath” when you’re at the pool? :)

Let me also add 50% of the serviced watches around have an “incorrect” gasket, because if the crystal hasn’t to be swapped but the gasket do the RSC will just put any 295 diameter gasket in it, regardless if it’s 0.1 different from the stock one. So stop caring too much about bullshit…….. You’ll learn to enjoy your watches way more

this is just one of the multiple feedbacks from gen owners for this available on the web: https://www.rolexforums.com/archive/index.php/t-581511.html

Last edited:

nicky444

Looking Around
2/3/12
Went through most of this trying to get an idea ... What is the consensus of going with CF versus GSF V4 versus GMF V6 ?

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
Went through most of this trying to get an idea ... What is the consensus of going with CF versus GSF V4 versus GMF V6 ?

Why don't you take up the project and get all three of them to come up with a comparison. Surely the RWI community would appreciate your efforts very much, mate

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18
Correct. Genuine gasket didn’t fit, and Sub007 decided it would have been best to have a 0.01mm higher crystal than having to modify the inner part of the crystal retaining ring and lose waterproofness for good.

What would you guys think it’s a major tell, a 0.01mm totally unnoticeable on wrist or tell your friends “wait a second, I need to take off my brand new Rolex before taking a bath” when you’re at the pool? :)

Let me also add 50% of the serviced watches around have an “incorrect” gasket, because if the crystal hasn’t to be swapped but the gasket do the RSC will just put any 295 diameter gasket in it, regardless if it’s 0.1 different from the stock one. So stop caring too much about bullshit…….. You’ll learn to enjoy your watches way more

this is just one of the multiple feedbacks from gen owners for this available on the web: https://www.rolexforums.com/archive/index.php/t-581511.html

Hi Nikz,

Any reason why you would have to modify the crystal retaining ring? I've just swapped my crystal and used another gasket and it worked fine? Genuinely curious and I do agree that people going crazy over gasket height is stupid lol. (I think accurate magnification is way more important)

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Anyone know if a 126610 hour and minute hand (VSF specifically) will fit on the VR3186?

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Hi Nikz,

Any reason why you would have to modify the crystal retaining ring? I've just swapped my crystal and used another gasket and it worked fine? Genuinely curious and I do agree that people going crazy over gasket height is stupid lol. (I think accurate magnification is way more important)

The gen gasket that comes with the new 295 crystals (brownish AR like the newer 126610 crystals) is simply too thick to fit, so needs to reduce the inner diameter of the retaining ring. Hence losing the waterproofness

Saul Goodman

Supporter
20/1/19
Germany
The gen gasket that comes with the new 295 crystals (brownish AR like the newer 126610 crystals) is simply too thick to fit, so needs to reduce the inner diameter of the retaining ring. Hence losing the waterproofness

so if you would use an old crystal or old gasket it should be waterproof, or won't they fit in this particular model?

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
peterpl Did you change to a GEN crystal and gasket on your CF Pepsi ? The crystal looks pretty nice...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
A solution I have used for the too thick gen crystal gaskets is to thin the outer perimeter of the gasket. Just put the gasket on a junk crystal, hold it on edge and swipe/roll it in measured even strokes across a flat piece of 400 grit sandpaper on a bench. This is the same technique I use for shaving aluminum inserts when they are too big in diameter. There is plenty of material on the gen gasket to be able to remove 0.1mm or so (0.05mm all around) and not impact WR. Similarly, any gasket height can be achieved by shaving the bottom edge while gently pressing the crystal and gasket flat onto the sandpaper. 400 grit can leave a gasket surface slightly rough, but this is an unseen cosmetic issue. The seal that matters is the inner gasket perimeter against the outside of the rehaut. Finer grade paper can be used for a smoother finish if desired - 600 or 800. Black sandpaper should not be used as it can stain a gasket.

I've done this multiple times successfully without compromising WP. I prioritize correct date mag, then try to get as close to proper sitting height as possible. Often you can get very close to achieving both goals.

jkna6p.jpg