• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My BP 16710 Franken on a low budget

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
Managed to put this piece together while I was in China and now enjoying it in Canada

The build consist of:

- BP 16710 watch
- Gen 16710 coke insert
- Gen crystal no AR
- Gen GMT hand & aftermarket second, minute and hour hands to fit the VR3186 GMT movement
- VR3186 GMT movement (CHS)
- JF factory 16610 bezel (teeth are less pointy than BP 16710 factory bezels)

Work done by the Chinese watch modder:
- case reworked to fit the VR3186 GMT movement and gen crystal
- Reshaped CG out after steel was added to it (Honestly, I still can't tell a difference compared to it right out of factory and this cost almost $400)
- Gen GMT hand lume refilled so that the color is in line with the new aftermarket hands
- 6 and 9 hour mark rework so they are rounder and more gen looking
- hand base redo so that it's not hollow when looking down from top
- Endlinks were sticking out and looked higher than the lugs. I had him to sand down the edges of the endlinks now the endlinks have the recessed look. But now the endlinks are slightly showing a weird curvature since only the edges are sanded down. I still prefer this looking than endlinks being higher than the lugs. I guess if you are lucky and do your QC right, you can avoid this in the first place

Work done by me (LOL):
- Sand down the case back so it sits lower on my wrist. However, I would have a completely flat case back down to the teeth with no brushed look. I'm satisfied with the result since I'm not gonna take off my watch in the public
- Factory clasp was very tight so I used a screwdriver to loosen it up. Not it goes smoothly when I close the clasp

Work still needs to be done in the future:
- Crystal height is not gen-like. Need to find a higher crystal gasket. I've done my research and I think the gasket from a sea-dweller would work. I will try to order one from JF factory and see how that goes
- Bezel teeth are still not gen-like and still pointy. Also, the outer lower part of the rim should be brushed and not polished. the I can either try to work on the one I have or order a good aftermarket one on a low budget basis
- BP cases have this unnecessary chamfer on four brims of the case. I had the watch modder to remove the polish and they are less obvious. But I'm still hoping to get the case redone and get rid of the chamfers
- DW are not centered. Some gen 16710s don't have centered DWs as well but not by this much. I think replacing the VR3186 DW with a good aftermarket one or even a gen one will solve this issue

The total cost for this watch is about $1400 USD. The only thing that went more expensive than my expectation was the case redo. But at least it's still a lot cheaper than Viet 16710 cases and get the job done by fitting the movement and crystal.I'm at 90% satisfaction level with the amount of money thrown into this project. Labor is supposed to be cheaper in China and the watch modders do a lot of modding every day so I guess they are more "clinically" experienced.

I've modded a daytona 116520, a submariner 116610, a GMT 116710 and an oyster perpetual 116200. They were super easy to mod since I would just swap in gen bezel, dial and hands and no other work is needed. Modding this BP 16710 was fun but frustrating at the same time. But I guess that's what we all enjoy here.

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
Just oder the new ARF bracelet for 16610. It fits perfectly, is a lot better in quality and brush and has the nice recessed look on the edge of the endlinks and watch.The first three photos are the BP 16710 with the new ARF 16610 bracelet. The last photo shows the weird brush on the endlink of the BP bracelet. I think it’s absolutely worth it to buy this replacement. I was debating wether I should give it a try or not since it’s taking so long to ship from China nowadays and i was probably spending $200 for something that might not fit at all. Turns out it was a nice try!
e06bdc8a4b185b062718543d03562fc5.jpg

e770dc1cb6c3805048b1fb9a469c84c0.jpg

21edb44c1d9b2573f89363ea5b22ed90.jpg

b866027ba583b2eba8f42b14f492d900.jpg

Reactions: keisuke_z

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
One last thing though. The sides of this bracelet are not polished. I’ll have to do that mod on my own with a piece of Cape Cod polishing cloth

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
This is awesome! I totally want to do a project like this.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
This is awesome! I totally want to do a project like this.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

It is time consuming and takes a toll on your patience and will to gather parts and have everything installed and modded. But as long ad you are ready for it, go ahead and give it a try. The result might be above expectation and fun

Reactions: keisuke_z

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
11/7/22
Germany
Fantastic result! How easy was it to fit the VR3186 in and is it still going strong to this day?

Reactions: shadys

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
Yes, it’s still beating strong.

Here are some latest photos. I had someone to refinish the lugs so it doesn’t have these weird edges from BP factory anymore. Also had the brushed look of the lugs redone now i’m wearing it with lots of pride.

I’m aware of the new cases from Vietnam that don’t need any mods and fit VR3186 movements and gen parts perfectly. But i decided to go with what I have although labor cost almost 2/3 of one Viet case.

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
Fantastic result! How easy was it to fit the VR3186 in and is it still going strong to this day?
The inside of the case was redone so BP 16710 cases didn’t actually fit VR3186 movements.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Yes, it’s still beating strong.

Here are some latest photos. I had someone to refinish the lugs so it doesn’t have these weird edges from BP factory anymore. Also had the brushed look of the lugs redone now i’m wearing it with lots of pride.

I’m aware of the new cases from Vietnam that don’t need any mods and fit VR3186 movements and gen parts perfectly. But i decided to go with what I have although labor cost almost 2/3 of one Viet case.

That's a real improvement with the lugs looks proper now congratulations on this 👏

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
Mine is awaiting some modifications...

Nice piece! My polar says hi.

zSL2Ho.jpg
That’s a nice explorer! I’m not familiar with this rep model. Could you tell me which factoty does it come from?

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
That’s a nice explorer! I’m not familiar with this rep model. Could you tell me which factoty does it come from?
Thanks! This is a BP factory 16570 explorer ii.

This is the same factory as your gmt master ii and has same case set with the oversized chamfers on the side lugs (which will be removed)

zSPQ1b.jpg

zSPBKi.jpg

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20

This is the same factory as your gmt master ii and has same case set with the oversized chamfers on the side lugs (which will be removed)

zSPQ1b.jpg

zSPBKi.jpg
Nice! I’ll be waiting for the completed photos ;)

Reactions: Perpetual

lukko

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
20/11/12
Italy

zSPQ1b.jpg

zSPBKi.jpg

The case is not the same of GMT, it’s totally different but on both of them you have these wide polish/chrome chamfer that makes pretty easy to tell that this is a rep.

Exp II BP case accept gen bezel, crystal without any modification, GMT case doesn’t accept bezel ring, insert, crystal without modification.

There are two sample that i’ve done in those christmass days. On both the cases are totally reworked on lugs, crown guards to make them more gen like (gmt also bezel in outside diameter reduced and inside diameter to accept gen bezel without sanding the genuine insert and for fit without glue).

Exp has gen crystal/bezel and rework case, GMT just gen insert and rework case

z0bCp2.jpg

z0bd83.jpg

z0bXAn.jpg

zbhPD2.jpg

zbpMFI.jpg

zbp4l4.jpg

zbpdJ1.jpg

zbpwaj.jpg

zbpu2c.jpg

zbpv6X.jpg

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
The case is not the same of GMT, it’s totally different but on both of them you have these wide polish/chrome chamfer that makes pretty easy to tell that this is a rep.

Yea totally agree about this, these Chaaaaaaaaamfers are out of control 😳 😄 This is definitely on the mod list for this case.
Exp II BP case accept gen bezel, crystal without any modification, GMT case doesn’t accept bezel ring, insert, crystal without modification.
Hey this is great news!! Thanks for the confirmation about the Gen parts fitment as this is "in the works " I was hoping at the very least gen bezel & crystal
Exp has gen crystal/bezel and rework case, GMT just gen insert and rework case
Great work on both of these 👍 nice to see for us all that there is an alternative route that BP makes happen to enjoy the 5 digit gmt subs/exp.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
So far I only lowered the gasket installing a 2.7mm gasket which made the date look a litter better in my opinion. I believe the BP crystal magnification is not correct and will need replacement.

Before & After...

zbPy0J.jpg

zbP95P.jpg