• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Quick question..anyone here know where I can source a ceramic insert for my Ginault? Aftermarket or factory? ARF, VRF, 40mm ceramic inserts will not fit..I've tried.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
To all Ginault owners:
How does a Ginault order work, will the watch only be made when I have paid? I would love to order one after reading so much praise.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
To all Ginault owners:
How does a Ginault order work, will the watch only be made when I have paid? I would love to order one after reading so much praise.

Once you pay, or pay a deposit, then you get added to the build queue.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
To all Ginault owners:

Once you pay, or pay a deposit, then you get added to the build queue.

Zeroed1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/21
I happen to own both a Ginault OR2 and VSF 116610 as well so I thought I'd chime in as well incase anyone is comparing:

- Overall feel / build quality, likeness to gen sub not withstanding, Ginault wins.

- Bezel is a lot tighter and "nuttier" on the Ginault, I thought VSF was good but woah! Bezel insert and marker brightness feels about the same quality, would have preferred a cleaner bezel like the VS on the Ginault instead of having the small markers.

- Both dials are as good I think, but its hard to compare since the VSF doesnt have AR and the Ginault has disappearing glass AR. I'd say the Ginault's dial might edge the VS slightly. It does make the floating cyclops a little strange looking though.

- Ginault wins big on crystal, but doesnt have blue AR tint on cyclops. I prefer having the blue tint. The clear AR allows you to see the dial and indices clearly, and they are made incredibly well.

- Ginault wins on lume (against my example of VSF af least), but colour is less blue and slightly more green/cyan-ish against VSF.

- Case - I like the slight bevel on the Ginault. Im not sure if the level of polish on the G is meant to mimic a gen 16610, but VSF wins noticeably in polishing. VSF case sides is a lot more mirror like, the Ginault has noticeably more distortions. I hear VSF uses some high end equipment.

- Bracelet - Ginault has much better finishing, feel and smooth bevelled edges, but I believe the VSF is meant to be true to Rolex with its sharper edges.

- Clasp - VSF wins here, glidelock is smoother and tighter on my VSF than Ginault. The flip lock thing(?) also opens easier as for some reason the Ginault has a very shallow indent, you need to use your fingernail to dig into the lock where as the VSF's indent is deeper and there is the crown logo to pull on.

- Movement - assuming it doesnt fail, the VS3135 is of course a way better movement. Its more quiet, smoother to wind, and has instant date change. The Sw200 in my Ginault lacks all these, but is more known reliability wise.

Over all, recognition and design aside, I prefer the Ginault. Im not sure about it being 3 times the VSF's price though, but if it was twice the price I'd happily go for the finer build quality.

Brand and rep factor considered, I will be selling the VSF and keeping the Ginault. It has no brand recognition of course, but is actually an extremely well built watch at a reasonable price all things considered. I also know that should I choose to keep it, it will last me a looong time, most likely longer than the rep and would also be easily serviceable. Plus, it has a rather interesting story behind it ????

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Many thanks for the comparison, really useful read. Underlines the quality of the ginault but also the bargain the VSF is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yogibear

Zeroed1

5/5/21
In that sense, the VSF is an incredible bargain! Getting heck of a lot watch for under $500. I just picked up a Citizen new release for $700 and, man the quality is a FAR FAR cry from VSF / Ginault. I wasnt expecting that since I ordered online.

(Yes yes, a gen has warranty, corporate support, global logistics, physical stores, original design and r&d costs, etc etc but just comparing item to item... geez they are worlds apart.)

Reactions: HomeRye

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
In that sense, the VSF is an incredible bargain! Getting heck of a lot watch for under $500. I just picked up a Citizen new release for $700 and, man the quality is a FAR FAR cry from VSF / Ginault. I wasnt expecting that since I ordered online.

(Yes yes, a gen has warranty, corporate support, global logistics, physical stores, original design and r&d costs, etc etc but just comparing item to item... geez they are worlds apart.)

Wish I had jumped on the VSF no-date when they were available - though the CF no-date is supposed to be pretty close and better in some areas. I'm trying my best not to buy any new watches until after my Ginault arrives.......

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I find it strange that the watch is not recommended by the experts in the community here. I don't see Tripdog or pompompurin or smoke for example praising the ginault.

I don't get these detailed VSF to ginault comparison either. One says Rolex and serves its purpose while the other says ginault. There is nothing to compare until ginault changes the dial print to Rolex.

Reactions: Carbon Summit

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I find it strange that the watch is not recommended by the experts in the community here. I don't see Tripdog or pompompurin or smoke for example praising the ginault.

I don't get these detailed VSF to ginault comparison either. One says Rolex and serves its purpose while the other says ginault. There is nothing to compare until ginault changes the dial print to Rolex.

Have an opinion and deduction of your own instead of being a sheep looking for recommendations by users on the internet.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Have an opinion and deduction of your own instead of being a sheep looking for recommendations by users on the internet.

That's exactly what I did though? My opinion is just that. Why don't you see the community experts praising the ginault? There has to be a reason no?

But this is from the guy who needed a whole thread to find out what a decorated rotor meant LOL....

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
That's exactly what I did though? My opinion is just that. Why don't you see the community experts praising the ginault? There has to be a reason no?

But this is from the guy who needed a whole thread to find out what a decorated rotor meant LOL....

No one misinterpreted what a decorated rotor was but not surprising you're fuzzing up the details. The fact that you think certain members that you consider in high esteem needs to give the Ginault the stamp of approval in order to mean anything is pathetic enough. Maybe you can direct message them for some breakfast recommendations and what type of shampoo to use and get back to us about it?

Last edited:

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
No one misinterpreted what a decorated rotor was but not surprising you're fuzzing up the details. The fact that you think certain members that you consider in high esteem needs to give the Ginault the stamp of approval in order to mean anything is pathetic enough. Maybe you can direct message them for some breakfast recommendations and what type of shampoo to use and get back to us about it?

You follow me in every thread trying to pick a fight but sure bud that's why you asked twice in the thread for an answer LOOL....
I hold our community experts in high regards because they have so much knowledge and experience with watches. If you don't well that's on you.

For example there is a big misconception that heavy= superior quality. You avoid that silly misconception when the experts provide their insight because of the years of knowledge and experience in the game.

So again why don't the experts praise Ginault?

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
You follow me in every thread trying to pick a fight but sure bud that's why you asked twice in the thread for an answer LOOL....
I hold our community experts in high regards because they have so much knowledge and experience with watches. If you don't well that's on you.

For example there is a big misconception that heavy= superior quality. You avoid that silly misconception when the experts provide their insight because of the years of knowledge and experience in the game.

So again why don't the experts praise Ginault?

I do not follow you in every thread, in fact this is the only one I can think of where I have quoted you. I follow this thread regularly as I have owned a Ginault and own reps so this is an interesting topic for me.

The point I'm making is that their opinions are not weighted in gold. It's okay to disagree with them and their opinions are not above the clouds over the rest of us. You also need to acknowledge that maybe Tripdog or pompompurin or smoke have not even handled a Ginault as it might not interest them for various reasons and they can't attest to the quality.

Zeroed1

5/5/21

I think we all know that TC = Ginault. TC has plenty of experts praising them I believe? :) Perhaps some people are more interested in actual reps than microbrands.

You are also right to say that there is no comparison since they are 2 entirely different watches. But I guess some members might find it interesting to compare build quality and execution, given its roots in reps.

For me personally, I got into the rep world knowing VS makes a bargain of a watch for the price. Handling the watch, disregarding whats written on the dial, youre getting a lot for the money.

After delving into the rep world, the ginault to me is the culmination of all these small details made into a legitimate(ish) brand. You are essentially getting the best 16610 rep possible, tweaked a little and made into something new, not just a microbrand who copies the design but misses on many aspects and small quality details. It was this that made me purchase the Ginault, oh the difference between this and a pagani... and before that I did a lot of research on the watch to see if it would stack up against the VSF, hence the comparison maybe.

But really, who cares... in the end they are only watches not your child's education, to each his own!

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I think we all know that TC = Ginault. TC has plenty of experts praising them I believe? :) Perhaps some people are more interested in actual reps than microbrands.

You are also right to say that there is no comparison since they are 2 entirely different watches. But I guess some members might find it interesting to compare build quality and execution, given its roots in reps.

For me personally, I got into the rep world knowing VS makes a bargain of a watch for the price. Handling the watch, disregarding whats written on the dial, youre getting a lot for the money.

After delving into the rep world, the ginault to me is the culmination of all these small details made into a legitimate(ish) brand. You are essentially getting the best 16610 rep possible, tweaked a little and made into something new, not just a microbrand who copies the design but misses on many aspects and small quality details. It was this that made me purchase the Ginault, oh the difference between this and a pagani... and before that I did a lot of research on the watch to see if it would stack up against the VSF, hence the comparison maybe.

But really, who cares... in the end they are only watches not your child's education, to each his own!

I don't see it man... You are not buying a TC though you are buying a Ginault. TC was a Rolex replica so it served its purpose. Ginault purpose is, well there is none because it says ginault and not Rolex.

I would get it if they had an in house movement and a unique look and charged a bit more but it literally looks like a submariner from far.

Rolex is Rolex.....The ginault, It's not going to feel any more like a Rolex than a VSF or ZF would however it's 3x the price with no purpose. The VSF for 450usd I can pass it off as genuine Rolex and it serves me well. I also get a vs3135 that can take a gen balance bridge.

If a buddy/coworker asks or anyone in public is that a Rolex? I have to tell them "it looks like a Rolex but it isn't" ... I can do that with a replica from wish that says "Bolex" and save 1500usd lol. "Made in Swizz"

Zeroed1

5/5/21
I don't see it man... You are not buying a TC though you are buying a Ginault. TC was a Rolex replica so it served its purpose. Ginault purpose is, well there is none because it says ginault and not Rolex.

I would get it if they had an in house movement and a unique look and charged a bit more but it literally looks like a submariner from far.

Rolex is Rolex.....The ginault, It's not going to feel any more like a Rolex than a VSF or ZF would however it's 3x the price with no purpose. The VSF for 450usd I can pass it off as genuine Rolex and it serves me well. I also get a vs3135 that can take a gen balance bridge.

If a buddy/coworker asks or anyone in public is that a Rolex? I have to tell them "it looks like a Rolex but it isn't" ... I can do that with a replica from wish that says "Bolex" and save 1500usd lol. "Made in Swizz"

I get what you mean mate. But you're mostly looking for the "having a Rolex / closest thing to a Rolex" feeling though I assume? I suppose this IS a rep forum after all lol.

Personally Im not, but I want a similar quality. Im actually happier it doesnt say Rolex on the dial, that way I dont have to deal with what people think/say about it when they see it and the stigma of a rep. I just enjoy having a quality watch (especially in 5-digit sub form, infact, Ginault is probably the only option?), I dont mind it being a homage since a tonne of other watches look like a sub anyway. I also like knowing that the finer details were achieved via someone's years long pursuit for the ultimate 5 digit rep. I also own a Grand Seiko which really opened my eyes to fine quality, hence the obsession lol. A replica from Wish really isnt going to cut it for me quality wise, regardless of what it says on the dial.

Anyway Im not knocking reps at all, I bought a VSF for a little bit of fun because I thought its incredible value for under $500 after all. Just trying to say there are definitely reasons people are comparing Ginault to VSF, and mine is as above. Its really ok if you dont get it, you do you mate, but to many others not having Rolex written on the dial isnt the end of the world :xd:

Btw I was only referring to TC being heavily reviewed, not saying Ginault = TC product wise.