• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
Pagani looks nice. Also has glaring white bezel paint. Ginault is platinum coated like Rolex.

i started from cheap homages like pagani ,now in my opinion it's waste of money and I will never come back to any pagani ,Parnis , phylida etc

GottaHave

Known Member
28/12/20
i started from cheap homages like pagani ,now in my opinion it's waste of money and I will never come back to any pagani ,Parnis , phylida etc

I 100% agree with this & I feel, if at all possible, just buy a genuine Rolex because at the end of the day isn't this what we're all really trying to have in one form or another.

If at all possible save your pennies & buy the original as anything less is wasting your time & money. I know this wish isn't for everyone but I believe it is for the majority.

Yes, yes AND yes, a genuine is a lot of money but think of the angst & headaches you won't have by owing one.

a5539925

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/18
Pagani looks nice. Also has glaring white bezel paint. Ginault is platinum coated like Rolex.

Agree but ginault has a silver bezel color like cf. There’s no plat in Chinese bezels.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Agree but ginault has a silver bezel color like cf. There’s no plat in Chinese bezels.

It’s a sputter coated vacuum vapor deposition process. A plat colored metal coating bonded to the ceramic substrate.

OverAfton

Patron
Certified
Wow, I made it to here in one sitting...! Yay for me!
90% posturing and 10% really helpful information, unfortunate since, objectively, the OP asked a very straightforward question.
I'm glad the OP asked the question as he did, and for the insight given by people that have first hand knowledge.
I have looked through many of the Sale watches on RWI, and I have been surprised at the $$$$ some of the sellers of modded watches have paid for upgrades (listed in the sales ad). It seems getting a Ginault and swapping the face and hands is a pretty good way to go if you wanted it to look like a rep.

Speaking as a noobie (and perhaps for other noobs) the next time one of us asks a "stupid" question, and you want to reply "there's so much information out there, you should know the answer already", just note that it took until page 15 or so to hear from someone who actually works in CNC to give a definitive answer about that particular process. No, I don't need things spoon fed to me. I once read a post question from a poor noob who simply asked what "TC" meant...and was immediately swatted by some senior member. The follow up poster easily (and kindly) answered the question in a quick sentence, and that was that. (Except for the funny follow-up from another chill poster who said it should perhaps stand for "Take Cover" when one of us asks a question. How funny is that!!!)
Perhaps TC should be added to the list on the New Members "common abreviations" page (which is where I go often first to look up something I don't know) since he seems to have been so integral to this hobby.
It seems that this RWI site likes to eat its own at times.

Still an AMAZING site, which saved me >$1000 when I nearly bought a "Genuine 1:1 Swiss-made Clone" from a scam site, then came here. VERY grateful.
Overall, people have been super helpful and patient with me...except, ironically, a moderator when it was my first or second day here. (I don't disagree with what he said necessarily, but MAN you don't have to hit everything with a hammer--I'm BRAND NEW to this!) :)
Ok, now I'm gonna duck behind my couch...I'm gonna "TC" :)

PS
...and I just ordered my first rep: a Sub for my brothers Bday from Andrew at TT (who has been so, so helpful, btw).

:bees:.....:baby:

Last edited:

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I’d like to throw my input in to this. I’ve owned some reps in the past and have owned a Ginault OR2 for a year now. I’ve modded some reps and have tutorials up in the modded section to help fellow members get their watch up and going. I will let you know my thoughts and journey with Ginault.

Is Ginault better than most stock reps out there, simply put yes. But is Ginault worth the new price point compared to a rep with Gen parts? You can argue many ways but in the end I agree with Mari115 with him saying it’s really up to you and what your plans (most importantly budget) are with your watch. (Mari115 always gets the latest and greatest reps before anyone on this forum and so I have seen he does have first and a lot of knowledge on reps) If you get an OR2, with date, and ceramic insert in the used market for close to $1000 or less, I think this is a good deal. If you have discounts that you can apply to get it to this price point for new, that would be the best outcome but there is a wait for these.

I first purchased my Ginault date pre-owned for around $1000 (Ginault OR2 with an aluminum bezel). My first impression is, it’s a higher quality watch than a rep, out of the box. (I had the intentions of breaking it down and modding it right from the start) My first impression of the case design, bracelet, box presentation, were this is a very well made watch. The bezel operated smoothly with a gen-like aluminum insert. I wasn’t too fond of the dial mainly because the one I had purchased had superluminova lume and smaller indices. It was what was in the used market for $1000 and available to me. If I wasn’t mistaken, there was a wait time for them. The best part of the watch, to me, was the crown and bracelet. The Ginualt crown comes with the flower logo, and the bracelet was solid, no rattles, not hollow links, and bezeled finishes so you don’t scratch or cut yourself. The solid end link tolerances are so tight, it really takes some watch skills (huge force) to remove them. But looking at the aesthetics of them (SEL) and overall of the watch it was pretty good quality compared to the others in it’s price range. Most other watches didn’t even come close in this area.

My goal was to create a fantasy Rolex/styled watch that had the slim case with modern appearance and function. I wanted the chromalight lume, large dial markers, and 3d hands as I couldn’t do the Milgauss styled hands and the small markers on the dial that came from factory. Some people would say why would you put rep parts on a gen watch per say? Those that know me know I’ve owned many Rolex’s and have a passion for watches. I do not go around telling people I wear a fake as a real one. I simply tell people it’s fake, even my gens, and the actual truth is, no one cares! Let me repeat, no one cares! I have my reasons to do this but the biggest reason simply was I had the spare parts in my parts bin (free) and there is no forums or ways I can get Ginault parts. The only thing I had to order was a LV insert right from Ginault with chroma light blue pip. After a couple of days I had sent the watch over to KJ2020 (my friend and a master at his craft) to put on the ARF parts and inspect the movement (ETA 2824). Most importantly I wanted to get his personal take on the watch. You can see he commented on page two. (Shout out brother!) When the watch came back I installed the green LV insert. I will also show a how to swap insert and what I had found interesting about my Ginault watch.

Well, onto the pictures as you can use it as a tutorial as well. DISCLAIMER- mod your watch it at your own risks-and there are some steps I did not list nor picture but this is the logistics of putting on the insert on an OR2. Watch water resistance will be compromised if you do not have it pressure tested or use crystal presses, tools, or other methods of watch making. I found it similar to putting on any rep or Rolex six digit styled watches. You be the judge and look for yourself. OK on to the PICTS!

HERE IS THE INSTALLATION TUTORIAL

USE BEZEL REMOVE WITH PLASTIC SO IT DOES NOT SCRATCH THE WATCH

CRYSTAL POPPED OFF ALONG WITH ASSEMBLY

RECOMMENDED TO DO THIS IN A BAG SO THE CLICK SPRINGS DO NOT FLY EVERYWHERE

PICTURE OF CLICK-SPRINGS IN GINAULT CASE

REMOVE CLICK SPRINGS

CLICK SPRINGS

I HAD CHEATED AND HAD SUPER GLUED THE CLICK-SPRING AHEAD OF TIME-A TECHNIQUE I HAD LEARNED FROM KJ2020-THEY COME IN TWO PARTS UNLIKE ROLEX

8d3451fda72a372e9.jpg

ALL THE PARTS OF THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE CRYSTAL WITH GASKET, RETAINING RING, BEZEL ASSEMBLY, AND INSERT

WITH CLEAN RAG YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO POP OFF CRYSTAL AND RETAINING RING WITH YOUR HANDS. YOU MAY HAVE TO USE A SMALL FINE SCREW DRIVER BUT IT WAS NOT NEEDED. JUST USED MY FINGERS AND OFF IT WENT

PUT ON CRYSTAL MAKING SURE IT IS CLEAN, DUST BLOWN, ETC

ALIGN DATE

PARTS TO INSTALL

FIRST IS TO FIND RETAINING RING

INSTALL WITH STEP GOING DOWN

USE PRESS, IN MY CASE AND OLD BEZEL, TO PRESS RETAINING RING DOWN AND SEAT

RE-INSTALL CLICK SPRINGS

INSPECT GASKET ON BEZEL ASSEMBLY

INSTALL BEZEL ASSEMBLY-USE CRYSTAL PRESS-IN MY CASE I WAS ABLE TO APPLY FORCE AND BOOM

INSTALL INSERT-SNAPS RIGHT IN-FRICTION FITTED

INSTALLED PICTURES

Here was my findings after I had done this install. I find the process the same as most six digit reps of Rolex and Rolex itself. During the installation it did not take any force to install the retaining ring. I could literally install it with minimal pressure, did not have to use crystal press. Most reps and Rolex, you will literally have to use a crystal press and there is much resistance even using the old gaskets (not recommended) and they still had passed the pressure test. Most modders I know, understand you have a chance to bend the retaining ring and so most will hand fit the retaining ring onto the crystal by hand and then will use the crystal press to seat it. To me, this compromises the water resistant and left a salty taste in my mouth. I already knew the Ginault would fail in the water pressure test and it failed miserably, the crystal blew out, no surprises. I was shocked as I wonder if I just had a bad Ginault or if this was the way it was from the factory? The watch was only three months old, per the manufactured card and from the date I had received it. The other thing I had found, on the OR2 vs Reps, is that it is finicky when you have to put on the bezel assembly. If you use a crystal press to push the retaining ring all the way down, you can’t turn the bezel on the Ginault. It was almost like the retaining ring was made too short for the watch. The retaining ring, on OR2, has to sit a hair above the case for the bezel action to be smooth and operate. Unlike reps and Rolex it has to be put on there with all force and will operate without issues.

After a year I find my only complaint is the bezel gets very hard to turn after a short while. Hard to turn as it will not move again. I had to retake the bezel assembly apart and realign the retaining ring to sit a hair higher than the case. I have an ETA 2824 and it runs solid without missing a beat. I love the glidelock bracelet and the Ginault does what I need it to do. I still love it. I wear it when I go to sketchy places and it makes an interesting conversation. Another factor to consider is putting insurance on your watches. I have insurance on my jewelry pieces and I can throw my Ginault on there. Cost on it is so cheap if I lose it or get robbed, it’s replaceable. You can’t do that with a rep with gen parts and risk losing everything.

I hope this adds value to the group.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Also, a gen like or VSF ARF NOOB etc ceramic insert will not fit OR2...repeat ti will not fit. The bezel assembly will fit the aluminum insert of a five digit sub and so you will have to find an insert that measures to those specs.

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Out of interest, why would TC use a pseudonym? It is almost certain that TC is behind the company, so it seems very odd that his name is not associated with it officially.

Doesn't that smell fishy and take away from the brands credibility? Can't imagine owners of legit brands hiding behind fake names.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Out of interest, why would TC use a pseudonym? It is almost certain that TC is behind the company, so it seems very odd that his name is not associated with it officially.

Doesn't that smell fishy and take away from the brands credibility? Can't imagine owners of legit brands hiding behind fake names.

Let's assume he is.

And I'm gonna preface this by saying I'm an absolute newbie, never owned a rep before this year, and never had a Ginault.
But after this thread popped up a while ago, I decided to follow, and I did a bit of research, as the history intrigued me.

From what I've read, TC subs were considered some of the best reps out there (if not 'the' best, at the time) and they're rare now, and in huge demand. I think thats fair to say, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Years later people are still talking about TC, and now people are talking about Ginault. And are connecting the two.

Are they right, I don't now, only the actual owner of Ginault and TC know, and maybe they're one and the same, but it doesn't really matter imho.

What I do know though is that most successful business people consider "no publicity as bad publicity", so maybe it's this 'mystery' that is ultimately fuelling orders, maybe not, that's just my 2c.

At the end of the day, it's all about what the purchaser thinks - do they consider the Ginault offerings value for money, that's for them to decide, with their orders (or not).

If the buyers deem the price too high, Ginault will either have to drop the price or fail, it's simple market forces. The brands credibility is as strong as their bottom line, that's likely what they really care about.

Another example I can think of would be Beats by Dre.
Are they really true value for money when you break down the constituent parts, their actual costs and assess sound quality?

If you ask a true audiophile they would probably say no and say you could get better alternatives, but then you could ask DrDre about his bank balance :)

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15

Illegal activities going Legit..I think it's as simple as that. As in what Tsung Chi would say, [h=3]“I would rather go legit than worry about being caught everyday”[/h]
But if you asked me, Ginault is the best Homage watch out there in it's price range. You have so much more value of a watch, one of the best movements ETA 2824 or Sellita, and a company that has pretty good response rates to warranty work and fixes. Sure, it comes with a dark history but for some people, they don't care and some really do. They only see the watch for its face value. If Ginault keeps listening to their buyers needs and keeps up their service game, they will over take some of their competitors. Thats just my take.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think

Let's say you were the head of a criminal group working in drug smuggling and drug shipping, globally known as Zachsdad. One day you decide to go legit creating a bran new legit shipping company, would you use that same name for your legit company, or would start from scratch with a brand new name and a clean history?

Last edited:

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Let's say you were the head of a criminal group working in drug smuggling and drug shipping, globally known as Zachsdad. One day you decide to go legit creating a bran new legit shipping company, would you use that same name for your legit company, or would start from scratch with a brand new name and a clean history?

but he didn't use his actual name when making reps. And it has never been proven that he was behind TC.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
but he didn't use his actual name when making reps. And it has never been proven that he was behind TC.

Zachsdad is a pseudonym as well, you wouldn't use your actual name in order to avoid being linked to the criminal activity because of some breadcrumbs that you mistakenly left during your previous criminal life. That's my guess.

I'm pretty sure it has been proven already

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
A guy is not quite happy about TC stopping illegal activities, going legal, and choosing not to tell everyone…

…then proceeds to buy a counterfeit watch made in god knows where by a criminal.

The internet never ceases to surprise me, lol.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Just Google search ...lies and deceit of Ginault.. Particularly the bottom with digital evidence...pretty convincing evidence. I am one of those guys who really don't care. I like my Ginault.

I see you "don't care I like it" and raise it to "I am actually happy that the pedigree of Ginault might include the absolute best 16610 Submariner replica with a 2824 clone ever", haha.

Reactions: KJ2020

a5539925

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/18
Illegal activities going Legit..I think it's as simple as that. As in what Tsung Chi would say, [h=3]“I would rather go legit than worry about being caught everyday”[/h]
But if you asked me, Ginault is the best Homage watch out there in it's price range. You have so much more value of a watch, one of the best movements ETA 2824 or Sellita, and a company that has pretty good response rates to warranty work and fixes. Sure, it comes with a dark history but for some people, they don't care and some really do. They only see the watch for its face value. If Ginault keeps listening to their buyers needs and keeps up their service game, they will over take some of their competitors. Thats just my take.

You can get tissot oris longines certina steinhart for a fraction of the price

Some tags and breitling are also same price range

Without asian movement + swiss + real qc + waterproof + warranty + brand

Imho I think 2824 is a crappie movement design

Reactions: Yogibear